Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hi guys, Im going to be doing some body repairs to my cruiser. Its just plain old white, but I was just wondering whats the best way to blend the new paint into the old?

#2 _jugs_

_jugs_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

All depends on where you are intending to repaint,.....where are you wanting to repaint????

Jugs

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

only mask bumpers/lights ect, and only mask on the paint along a line that you won't be able to see the ridge on. turn the pressure on yoru spray gun down so you don't get as much overspray. never undercoat up onto some tape (keep your makss way away) as even once it dry's and you sand it it still leaves a ridge, the thinners eats into the paint and it's imposible to get rid of. use a sanding block to feather all the edges. after you have it ready for color, put on some normaly mixed coats (assuming yoru using acryl, 1.5:1) untill it's an even color then thin it to about 4:1 and give it a coat, running the paint out. then give it a VERY light coat with strait thinners. let it all dry and buff it back and wala...shoudl look good.

thats not all in order naturaly...i was just putting tips down as i thought of them. if you want more info give me a hoy i should be online again in a few days.

#4 _jugs_

_jugs_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:43 PM

Generally i put a couple coats of clear down after i've blended colour whether it be 2k or acrylic,so if/when wyou have to buff you dont cut out all the colour and f**k the blend you've just done.

#5 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:44 PM

hi shanegtr im a spraypainter by trade you can spot it up with acrylic or 2k its your choice, the acrylic is the easyest all you do is rub the panel with 1000 wet&dry around twice the area of the repair,spray the colour slowly blending it out leaving a bit of rubbed area free then put a couple of coats of acrylic clear to the edge of the rubbed area leave for a couple of days then cut back area with 1200 wet&dry and buff in if colour is close and well blended over enough area the you wont tell its been repaired.
with 2k you need to use clear over base system same procedure but rub entire repaired panel then blend in base colour and take clear all the way to edge of panel
if you dont have accsess to a spraybooth use the acrylic.
ps:you can take the acrylic clear all the way to edge of the panel if you wish that way theres no blended area to contend with for shine purposes.

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

As mentioned above it depends on what you want to paint. If it is a cheap "tidy up" and you dont want to put clear over it here is a couple of tips: Say you have a dent about 150mm long in the middle of your door? Beat bog sand and mask your repair only. Hit it with the primer surfacer remove your masking then finish with a fine paper. MUST FEATHER EDGES OF PRIMER (I reckon 600 if your not too fussy) and rub the whole part of panel to be painted. E.G. to door gaps and up to protector strip say? And mask off surounding panels. Now here's the trick. Aim your gun at 90 degrees to the panel (say left of the repair)and start spraying gradually moving right and turning your gun toward the panel and having the gun facing the panel about 100mm before the start of the repair. Continue your sweep across the repair and about 100mm past the end of your repair turn the gun again to the right of your repair again finishing at 90 degrees. What this does is blend your new paint into the surrounding panel as it "mists" in to the surrounding area. If your dent is say near the rear of a front door you would also prepare the front of the rear door and use the same tecnique. I use acrylic as it is easier to work with at home and as again mentioned above a thin coat to finish helps with the blend. It takes practice so practice on your dad's car first. Good luck! Oh Yeah! Colour match is very important even on white!
RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 29 December 2005 - 11:21 PM.

#7 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:48 AM

thanks for the tips guys. I've got some cracks to repair-goddamn corrugations :angry: The entire paint on the car is pretty rough, being a well used 4x4 so im not to fussed, but Im using it as practice for when I do the rust repairs on my torrie :P

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:48 PM

If it's the 80? series in the photo, have a good look at your front body mounts in under the battery box for cracks if it's had a hard life. Weakness's in this area will cause cracks else where e.g. inner guards at fire wall and "A" pillars
RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 30 December 2005 - 10:50 PM.

#9 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

yer I know :furious: Drivers side inner guard needs rewelding this weekend <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic