new battery

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:50 AM

hi i need to get a new battery, ive known ive had to get one for some time but ive just been a tight arse and putting it off, any way last time i went to have a look at some i was eyeing off one of those deep cell boat batteries, i dont know much about batteries but my theory was these marine batteries are designed for infrequent use just my torry gets and considering they are cheaper per CCA then automotive batteries ive been thinking why cant i use one of them. can anyone tell me why i cant use one on a worked V8 that doesnt see many kilometres, by that i mean ive done 10k kms in the 5 years ive had it and about 6k of those are in the past 18 months since ive put the new engine in

cheers adam

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

What brand was the marine battery? optima or odessey? Those two brands make gel batteries for cars but they are always dearer than normal batteries...

#3 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

they were rebadged century batteries, or so im told from the guys at sprints

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

Deep cycle marine batteries are designed for infrequent use and will survive in a discharged state better than a normal calcium chloride car battery. With your history of usage, it may be the most suitable choice.

#5 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

so chopper are you saying i wont have any problems then if i was to get one?

cheers adam

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:14 PM

You'll be fine. It's not unusual for deep cycle batteries to remain discharged for 2 years, placed on overnight charge and be as good as new. Can't do that with a normal battery.

#7 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

Most battery manufactures do not recommend using deep cycle batteries for starting as they are designed to provide low current over an extended period versus a staring battery that provides high current over a short period.

The AGM deep cycle batteries can be used for starting and will not leak. I use them in my boat ( 2 x 100ah and 1 x 200ah ) to start twin SBC and run the house electrics.
http://www.absorbedp...roducts/12volt/

For my spare car I bought an automatic battery charger from REPCO for around $40 that monitors the battery voltage and tops up when required. I have mine wired to the battery using the supplied cable and the connector pokes out thru the grill. If you look at the picture you will see it comes with battery clips and a cable with eyes to bolt to the battery.

http://www.projecta....d/3/asset_id/15

Edited by AndyCullen, 20 November 2006 - 06:59 PM.

#8 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Andy, little puzzled with above, arent marine batteries used to start marine engines as well.......needing the same start current or larger as car engines?
The exide listing for marine batteries lists some healthy cca ratings?
Is perhaps the misunderstanding here is that "marine battery" doesnt necessarily mean deep cycle battery?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 20 November 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#9 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Some truth in both of the above posts by devils and Andy.

Most battery manufactures do not recommend using deep cycle batteries for starting as they are designed to provide low current over an extended period versus a staring battery that provides high current over a short period.

They are designed to start engines, but if the engine requires a high CCA rating to start it, then a high capacity battery ( eg: N70ZZ for a 4x4 application ) would be more suitable. Unless of course the engine is left stationary for extended periods ( eg: house boat motor that only gets used a couple of times a year ), then the deep cycle battery is the correct battery.

#1 Andy, little puzzled with above, arent marine batteries used to start marine engines as well.......needing the same start current or larger as car engines?

#2 The exide listing for marine batteries lists some healthy cca ratings?

#3 Is perhaps the misunderstanding here is that "marine battery" doesnt necessarily mean deep cycle battery?

#1 Already answered.

#2 Not unusual to have 15+ litre diesel boat motors.

#3 Correct. There are marine batteries that aren't deep cycle batteries.

Hope this clears things up a bit, instead of stirring up more mud.

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

Marine and 4WD batteries are designed to take a beating that the average car battery is not exposed to (waves, sand dunes). You will see mention of plate locks and heavy duty casings. They can be either staring batteries or deep cycle batteries. Typically starting batteries are rated in CCA and deep cycle are rated in Ah because of their respective uses.

I think the reason that wet deep cycle batteries are not recommended to be used as starting batteries is that the number of starting cycles significantly reduces the life of the wet deep cycle battery and they do not deliver as high CCA for the size when compared with a staring battery.

The 100 Ah deep cycle AGM batteries on my boat are rated at 850 CCA so they have no problems supplying starting current but they are rather large 330 x 172 x 215. The AGM battery design typically delivers higher current than wet batteries.

Personally I would not fit a wet battery in anything I own. Sooner or later the chances are they will end up leaking and eating your car. On a boat if salt water comes into contact with battery acid it produces lethal chlorine gas.

I currently have an optima battery and the charger I mentioned in my Torana. The absorbed power AGM GT12-40C battery looks like a much cheaper replacement but I was not aware of them at the time. However without the battery charger it will not take long for a car alarm to flatten a 40 Ah deep cycle battery. Allowing the battery to fall below 11 volts severely shortens its life.

#11 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

While I was typing my post Chopper made his post so we have both covered some of the same ground.

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

Marine and 4WD batteries are designed to take a beating that the average car battery is not exposed to (waves, sand dunes).

Are you talking about excessive vibration?

#13 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

Excessive vibration is part of the problem, corrugated tracks and choppy seas. It also is not unusual for many boats and off-road vehicles to get airborne resulting in heavy impact.

Quote from the Exide Marine.
http://www.exide.com...ucts/marine.php?

Built rugged to resist impact and rough water vibration - a leading cause of failure in marine batteries. No-Vibe� anchor bonded plates in polyethylene envelopes provide superior vibration resistance for an extra long life.

Quote from Exide 4WD
http://www.exide.com...roducts/4wd.php?

It's durable case design resists impact and off-road vibration - the leading cause of failure in batteries

#14 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

LX8VD69,

I would purchase a normal (high current) automotive battery and a solar charging cell (from reject shop or something.) While I do not have teh wiring diagram here I think the cig lighter is constant 12V if not then you could place another under dash somewhere that will work for this. this will keep the battery topped up and the car will start first time every time. I do this on a number of my cars which are at the farm so that when I wish to start them it is not a weekend ordeal. Just a thought from left field...

Cheers

#15 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:30 AM

what a shame, cant you guys organise a cruise for him so he can get out and enjoy his car, 15 klms in 5 years??? I'd go nuts if i couldn't drive mine at least once a fortnight.

#16 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:39 AM

You can maximize battery life by ensuring the battery case itself is well insulated, rubber underneath & between metal battery clamp if fitted. Also disconnect the earth, either at the terminal or get an earth isolation switch (Big red key).

If you park the car in a garage, then get a regulated battery charger with a maintainence cycle, I think mine cost around $60, then you have both a good battery and a charger if you need it.

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

what a shame, cant you guys organise a cruise for him so he can get out and enjoy his car, 15 klms in 5 years??? I'd go nuts if i couldn't drive mine at least once a fortnight.

might have misread a number and not taken in a k ^

Edited by devilsadvocate, 21 November 2006 - 08:51 AM.

#18 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

I would purchase a normal (high current) automotive battery and a solar charging cell (from reject shop or something.)

If you use a solar panel then make sure it has a regulator to prevent overcharging. Most panel's are sold without regulator's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users