Drain Bolt Measurements Needed!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

Hey Everyone,

For the last time, I'm going to attempt to fix the leak in my diff. I've sealed it properly both times I've done it, but it keeps leaking out of the bottom drain bolt. I'm guessing I have the wrong bolts, because both times I've run the diff gasket sealant on the thread of the bolts.

The bolts I have are the right thread (UNF ?), I guessed the measurement needed to be 1.5" from memory. However I can't ever seem to do them up tight enough because when I get it near the end of the thread there is no where to put the friggen spanner onto the head (of the bolt).

So if anyone has the correct measurement (length of the bolt) and head size (mine I think is 9/16 - it's been awhile since I had a look), and even thread size would be greatly appreciated.

J

#2 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

Head size is 9/16. thread size is 7/16 UNFx 1" however on the taller casings 3.08 and 2.78 ratio the bolts are around 2.5" long.. check that out the differnces in the casings is quite obvious.However if the bolts are actually going close to tightening up i would suspect that it is just that you can't get the socket to stay on the head of the bolt.
DON'T FORGET THE COPPER WASHER UNDER THE BOLT....
I replace mine with cap screws for exactly that reason...
Poor design Holden.. shame, Holden, shame.

Cheers Greg..

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

Hi Guys.

I've fitted 100s of these diffs, what's wrong with using a 9/16" socket instead of a spanner.

BTW aren't bolt threads 3/8" UNF.

Dr Terry.

#4 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

The good Dr is right..
my oops :rolleyes: 3/8UNF it is...

Cheers Greg..

#5 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Greg and Dr Terry.

I will look into it tomorrow. I've been under a lot of stress (Final Exams) and a leaky diff was the last thing on my mind. 3/8 UNF x 1" + Copper Washers... Done and done. I used to have a 3.08 and I have the longer bolts.

Cheers :spoton:

J

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

Try Wilson Bros.Last time it cost me $5 & saved alot of time & hassle,hopefully they still have some left over in some of there boxes on the shelf.

Ring first just in case.

#7 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

McPhersons Engineering at sefton have a shitload of bolts. I will go down there with the exact measurements instead of taking a wild guess and my old 2.5" bolts. I got both bolts for $2 and it was only a walk =p

#8 _on the limit_

_on the limit_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

hi, i really hope it is your drain bolt leaking, because banjo housings are prone to leak from the welded plate were the gasket goes & is a pain in the ass to fix! cheers.

#9 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

Also Heavy handed Harry may of swung from the bolt and pulled the thread from the housing if so than a heli-coil may be needed to stop the drip for ever.

#10 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

Lucky for me, the above did not happen!

It's all fixed now, no sign of leaking and it's been a whole 3 days... :D . Previously it took about 2 minutes before it started drip drip dripping. Though my rear left drum is weeping a bit... :furious: :furious: :furious:

You don't need that brake do ya?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users