30 replies to this topic

#26 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

If you compared the quality of Gonzo's and CES pipes side by side, you would choose CES anyday but you pay the $$$ accordingly.

Before I went and forked out big $$$ for my CES ones, I had a few goes at the sand bending - all dismal failures so off I went to the exhaust shop - there is obviously an art to doing sand bending and I do not have any of the skills needed to do that.

M@

#27 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

If you know what you want , you can buy the bends individually from Castlemaine Electrics..Look in custom down the bottom.
R

#28 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Rory, last year Coad ran 16 x 9's , using a michelin tyre i believe. This is the largest (non factory) allowed in Tarmac Regs (C3)

I recently saw on another site that he has fitted 17 x 10's for sprint & hill climb events which are not under CAM's umbrella. He was pretty excited about finally getting some of that 600 BHp to the ground.

Our poor old girl is stuck with 15 x 8's (C2) and as is the hassle these day for all of us, where to get quality R Spec rubber for these and street rubber for the day to day 15 x 10's .

But, back to topic

Welby

#29 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

What needs to be thought about is...if a set of customs give you 20 extra HP...Is it worth $2000?..or can you get the same gains for a lot less?..Just a thought but all the US mags I have seen..and some OZ ones..Street Coomodores etc..show that custom pipes to off the shelf pipes show HP gains are minimal...5-15HP..I am open to be corrected here but we are talking hot street motors...not 7 sec drag cars..SO...we are back to...How much are you willing to spend for....lets be honest...minimal HP gains? If you have a good clean set of Tri-Ys or 4 into 1s off the shelf and they work...why go for $2000 worth of eye candy...because thats all it is. Just my 2cs
R

Edited by rorym, 22 January 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#30 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

If you compared the quality of Gonzo's and CES pipes side by side, you would choose CES anyday but you pay the $$$ accordingly.

Before I went and forked out big $$$ for my CES ones, I had a few goes at the sand bending - all dismal failures so off I went to the exhaust shop - there is obviously an art to doing sand bending and I do not have any of the skills needed to do that.

M@

sand bending is a bitch, it took me a week to get it right, but that was aluminuim, never tried steel. as oldn said earlier, it doesnt take much heat and pack that sand well!

#31 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

a good hydraulic bender shouldnt distort the tube without heat and sand.
perhaps once you have a good idea and template worked out hiring a decent one wouldnt be astronomical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users