trimatics??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

just need to know how to tell the 6cy one from the v8 one?? and are the torque converters different??? and standard did the 253s come out with a v8 one or 6cyl one?? if there is a differents ?

#2 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hi lx304hatch.

V8 Tri-Matics have a larger bellhousing & torque converter & several differences internally, compared to the 6 cyl boxes. There are also RH & LH shift versions of both.

I have a list of 76 different Tri-Matics listed by their 2 letter ID code. Post the number off your box & I can ID it for you.

Dr Terry.

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

omg i didnt realise there were 76 different versions of the trimatic... Now it makes sense why each time i look a a trimatic there are little things that seem different...

#4 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:23 PM

Correct little things but essentially the same. Only real differences in what the end result is the number of clutchs the bellhousing and tehinput shaft. The seperation plate which controls the pressures and teh valve body. apart from that there is not much different. Basically whatever you get you can make ti work for you. Most of the time when I get a trimatic box done we start with a VK 6 cylinder box first. From there we make what we need.. :D

Cheers

#5 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:31 PM

given wat was said im asuming that all the torque converters are the same

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

all converters are different compared to engine size but fit the same shaft on the front of the box. (different flex plate)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users