tacho needle flickering

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

we have just fitted a sport comp 8000 rpm auto meter tacho to a 202 lj with points ignition and it flickers badly when idling(engine runs fine) and as revs rise it gets worse we have tried tacho on another 202 and worked fine we have tried a few diffrent coils but it has settled down but still is not right. any body had a simmlar problem or know how to fix it? :cry:

#2 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:54 PM

id say youve got a dodgey connection some where, recheck all your connections, make sure the earth is clean and you should come good after all that

#3 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

Always seems like a bad connection of the coil when ive come across that problem

Edited by MRNOS, 26 November 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:07 PM

Assume there are four wires to the tacho? +12V, -ve from tacho, light wire, earth.
What is the +12V connected to exactly on the car.

#5 _bodallafella_

_bodallafella_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:34 PM

This problem can usually be fixed by putting a resistor in the signal wire. See here:

http://www.rocketind.....nce Guide.PDF

#6 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:20 PM

devilsadvocate, i will have to have a close look as the car is not here but it was connected to the fuse box unsure which terminal with out looking.

#7 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

I had the same problem and tried better earth , different source for 12v and all came up with nothing. Tried different autometer tacho and still did it. I even went to the extent of removing all fuses and running wires straight from battery to dizzy , fuel pump just to run the car and eliminate some sort of feedback through the earth and nothing. In the end did what Bodalla above mentioned and all is perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users