Borain

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Poinsdexter_

_Poinsdexter_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

I sure lots of us watched the lastest international V8 foray. I have a couple of points to make:

1. Did anyone see any spectators? Will there be another Desert 400 given the stands were empty? When will Tony get over his world domination mindset and concentrate on Australia? I don't see Nascar racing in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter). The races belong on Sunday afternoon - not Friday night. Beware Channel 7.

2. The surface was low grip, but don't blame it all on the the track. The Dunlop control tyre is harder than your mother in laws heart. Notice that there was no rubber down even during the last race. Can we have a decent tyre, and therefore some decent racing/overtaking? When will Channel 10 commentary understand that a tyre may have 3.8mm depth and have absolutely NO grip. Can someone please explain to them that grip doesn't depend on tread depth!!

3. It doesn't matter when or where the cars race, the grid order doesn't change all that much. There is some talent out there in other categories that surely can do better than Wilson, Bargwanna, Jones (both), Marshall, Morris etc.

I welcome your comments.

#2 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

whats the point in taking the series overseas? by the lack of people in the stands it wasn't a big hit with the locals :rolleyes: better off leaving the whole series in Australia where the real fans can get to go and see them , instead of suffering with the piss poor TV coverage where offered, then again maybe the locals over there found out how darn expensive (and boring :D ) it is to go and watch a supercar racing as many aussie fans have discovered :spit:

#3 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:20 PM

if you watched it, surely you must know how to spell it.

#4 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

I too wonder about taking our cars overseas but having said that I watched all 3 races, enjoyed everyone of them, loved the track sans gravel traps and it was still safe!
Less safety car action - a good thing plus it gave our drivers a work out of a different track.

All in all loved it.
Oh and it's Bahrain ;)

Herne

#5 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

1.Not many spectators at all, I wonder how many were from Australia, possibly a huge percentage. At one stage I thought maybe there were as many people behind pitwall than watching in the main stand !!
I believe there will be another one ... how successful it will be is hard to tell, but no doubt more promotion over there would be needed and now the locals know what to expect could be a better turn-up next year.
I wonder how good that track it is for spectators in as far as the building behind the pits, would it block your view of the back of the track when your in the main stand ?

2. I dont know shit about tyres so wont add a comment, except that it is the same for all so does it really matter ?

3. You left out Fernadez !!!!!
And with no Jones(I mean Kim) there would be no wingeing when absolutley un-necessary. Include him as needing to be replaced and leave the young fella in there. No doubt money helps to retain these guys, and by this I guess they buy their rides, it's not purely on talent that they are there ...

If they didnt go overseas, we would have one more race here!! Dont mind NZ having a race tho. (they got into our Rugby League and cant win that either, hehe.)

But can't blame Cochrane for wanting to expand, would be to bring more money to the sport, no doubt teams are/could be struggling with budgets. Only so much money in Aust to go round. Why not bleed some other country/firms for sponsorship is not a bad idea in my opinion.

Bit off topic, Group A was sposed to be a stepping stone to help us battle it out on the world stage, and it didnt work for us. Does anyone O'seas care for our local product(Holden Vs Ford) at all, or for that matter should they !!!!

#6 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:53 PM

I forgot to add, I also enjoyed it, even at the odd hours ....

#7 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:58 PM

The hours they showed the races reminded me of the old days on ch 7.
Four games a week of AFL and V8 superscars on 7 for 2007 cant wait to see how they do it :blink:

Edited by LC69GTR, 27 November 2006 - 02:58 PM.

#8 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

When I was channel flicking I saw the V8s on but thought it may have been a practice day or something I too didnt notice many spectators or very many officials for that matter, so I went back to channel flicking since it didnt look to interesting.

#9 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

if you watched it, surely you must know how to spell it.

Think you may have missed the pun with the title. Read the post and it adds up.

Borain = Boring Bahrain

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:35 PM

Gee I didnt get that either!!!

Herne

#11 _Poinsdexter_

_Poinsdexter_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

At Last!!!!!!!!

#12 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

If they didnt go overseas, we would have one more race here!! Dont mind NZ having a race tho. (they got into our Rugby League and cant win that either, hehe.)

:spit: :spit: :spit: sorry i know its abit off topic but soooooooooooooo true, im not sure how true it is but i heard a rumour the kiwis were trying to get in on the state of origin series along with mexico (vic). all i can say about avesco is i dont like it i mean everythings too controlled, why dont the just make a bloody commofalcon and be done with. i say bring back homologation but we all know that will never happen. maybe they should just televise group NC racing for us purists :spoton: :spoton: :spoton: i know id love to see the torana dominate the mountain again...........................................drool...................

Edited by LX8VD69, 01 December 2006 - 01:20 PM.

#13 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

Hmm Control or Homlagation. Without the control measures the racing is not as close. I wonder how many of us would have enjoyed the Group C era if the blue oval had a smany wins as Holden.
The one good thing about the serries at the moment is there are about 10 drivers that could win on the day if the they get the car dialed in right. That can create it's own problems with being a bit follow the leader racing. The current points structure has a lot to do with it as well. Drivers are happy to coast around for a position rather go for a race win. Ingal won his championship that way and Kelly could end up repeating that feat as well. Lowndes would be a more deserving winner if it turns out that way as he races for the win not just to coast around.
The Indy race did show one good feature with the extra allowable boost that worked on a timer for a set lenght of time that could be used when ever until the allowed total time had run out. This I think is an excellent idea that could be applied to an inreace revs in a V8 supercar. This would help break up some of the follow the leader races by giving a driver a few extra gee gees for overtaking.
The points structure needs to be changed so the gap between points is greater. This will force the drivers to keep pushing for the front also and not settle for positions 4 to 10 that keeps you in the championship hunt if done over and over.
Incroments of 5 points instead of 2 would be enough. Consistancey needs to be rewarded to some degree but winning should be more important. Atm it's the other way around.

#14 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

I don't know if anyone remembers the bad old days, late 80's early 90's when there were less than 20 cars on the grid a few times for the ATCC rounds.
AVESCO has done a lot for the sport and while I personally don't see the need to race in Bahrain, it probably means a big fistful of dollars for the sport. Hopefully it gets spent wisely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users