Uni Joint problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:41 PM

gday all,

tonite my uni joints died yet again. Its happened several times.

What i mean by died is there is a terrible vibration from under the car and last time when the uni joints were replaced it went away. However my car seems to like devouring them. I am just wondering if people can suggest what I am doing wrong.

I think the 2nd lot of uni joints died from not being pumped full of grease.

But these ones... No idea.

Its a LJ running stock 173, Celica 5 speed (was M20) and a 3.36 Banjo diff.

Steve

#2 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:24 PM

You sure the problem isnt in the tailshaft and as a result the uni's are being chewed?

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

^ Are you suggesting like an imbalance which would be promoting excessive wear?

Steve, the tailshaft in it atm would be a brand spanker wouldn't it?

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:36 PM

I think the 2nd lot of uni joints died from not being pumped full of grease.

But these ones... No idea.

Uni wear is directly proportional to your right foot you rev head :tease:

#5 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:36 PM

Try recentring you uni's first you might find that with the car being lowered and the new gearbox that the angle with which they now run are not ideal.

Cheers

PS: I would also put more grease in them seeing you will be under the car already.. ;)

#6 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

Just cos something is "new" doesnt always mean it is working perfectly.

And yes, I had the same problem in one of my hatches, problem was the tailshift wasnt balanced.

#7 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

I would check the alignment of the transmission with the diff and as said above that the angles are not to severe. Is there excessive movement where the yoke enters the extension housing on the box - i.e. is it sloppy and allowing excess movement?

#8 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

When i converted to the Celica 5 speed a few months back it was necessary for the tailshaft to be shortened and balenced, so i am pretty sure the tailshaft is balenced.

Try recentring you uni's first you might find that with the car being lowered and the new gearbox that the angle with which they now run are not ideal.

The car has been lowered for 2 or 3 years... long before i started having this problem. And it has happened with two different gearboxes. What is recentreing unis?

Just cos something is "new" doesnt always mean it is working perfectly.

Fair call. I have had brand new things die on me. I might just take the tailshaft, or the uni joints that i'm about to replace, to the tailshaft joint that shortened my tailshaft and ask them whats causing the failure, or get them to double check my tailshaft.

So how do i check the alignment of the tailshaft with the diff? With a straight piece of wood or something? I don't think the angle are too severe from memory.

Steve

#9 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

When we set up my gearbox to diff alignment, the gearbox guy showed me the location teh gearbox should be in... we had to make a spacer to raise teh rear of the box! Dont ask me how he knew where it should be though!

We then set the diff pinion angle using adjustable upper control arms to -3 degrees to allow for some pinion climb during hard acceleration. We set this with an inclinometer.. Basically a protractor with a spirit level to get the angle we needed across the yoke's face.

If you car's chewing unis i'd suggest that your alignment is out one way or another.. Checking the diff isnt hard if you can buy one of those guages ( i dont *think* theyre terribly expensive) and then you could check the gearbox yoke the same way i guess!

Also when tightening unis dont overtighten them, ive been warned ( cause i dont know my own strength sometimes) that you can crimp the cup and stuff the uni really quickly if you over tighten the U bolts!

Good luck mate!

#10 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

G'day steve,
Mate while u r under there,just check engine&paricularly rear g'box mount have'nt failed causing very similar vibration. If it is uni's again, I'm with the others^^,check 4 bad allignment. If your tail shaft is unballanced enough to cause rapid uni wear, you should have noticed a high speed vibration all along...i would have thought anyway. Good luck :D

#11 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

Well.... The problem wasn't my unis... I got dropped off at my mates parents place, and my mates dad pointed at my back passenger wheel and said, "I Think thats your problem."

I only had one nut holding the rear passenger wheel on. :huh:

So either someone has tried to steal my wheels, Or else i didn't make sure i did them up tight enough. Somehow the locknut is missing, so i gotta buy a new set of lock nuts. But it could have been a lot worse. Thankfully i didn't lose a wheel on the freeway, that could have been really bad.

I grab another nut of each wheel so i have 4 nuts on each wheel at the moment, so i am just about to head out to buy 4 more wheel nuts, and mabe i might get lucky and find the locknut, else i will have to buy another set.

Steve

#12 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

Sheit!! Well that vibration certainly isnt unis!!

Glad you found it before anything worse happened!

#13 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

Sheeze!!! I'd grab a lotto ticket if i were you steve!! :rolleyes:

#14 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

The car has been lowered for 2 or 3 years... long before i started having this problem. And it has happened with two different gearboxes. What is recentreing unis?

Firstly the first of unis went due to old age, teh second set was due to mismanagement/care, this set is when the tailshaft got shortened. not when I was at school and di triangles you could nto can one side and keep the same on the other two side, thus the angles must have changed. This is also why sometimes teh m20's fail behind EH's as people do not mount them properly. Again it comes down to being careful when converting anything.

I am glad you found the problem. I am happy nothign got damaged.

Cheers

PS: Above post a little trivial seeing that you have been able to get the issue known and resolved.

#15 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

I only had one nut holding the rear passenger wheel on. :huh:

Wheel nuts falling off is directly proportional to your right foot you rev head. :tease:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users