13 replies to this topic

#1 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

A theoretical question on RB30 turbo engine in an LJ - I have seen an adaptor on E-Bay recently to put the RB30T in front of a trimatic. Anyone else heard of this? Can this engine go in front of an M20? Or do I opt for the Jatco 4 speed auto?

#2 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

why change from the jatco? they can be built to handle as much power as a trimatic.

#3 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

I was just considering options, I would rather have a manual behind the turbo but I am not sure about the manual box that came with the VL's.

#4 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Castlemaine rod shop do a blank conversion plate for the rb30's , as well as bellhousings for supra 5 speeds,(they even do ful kits to fit rb30's into all model torana's) the jatco 4 spd auto even in standard trim would be ok, but better if correctly modified (specially if you intend to up the boost etc) the poor old m20 wouldn't late 5 minutes behind a healthy rb30t , hmmm rb30turbo in an lj that sounds like fast fun to me!

#5 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

VL turbo 5 speed manual are very strong, very expensive, and very big. I think trans tunnel will need surgery to fit one of these in an lj

#6 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

I am not keen on modifying transmission tunnels so I guess that rules out the VL 5 speed. RB30T in an LJ would certainly be a quick car :rolleyes:

#7 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:45 AM

yes it would be a fast car ;)

#8 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:38 AM

im lead to believe that in the jatco 4 speed trans (4n71b) the o/d is its main weak point and a trimatic is alot stronger. we got some vl turbos at work running in the 9 sec zone with transbrake trimatics. you could consider full manual auto. also i no that some of those adapter housing arn't all that good but im unsure of what brand to go for, just something to think about.

#9 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:00 AM

I have a supra 5 speed behind my RB30 in my LJ.

No trans tunnel mods are needed. I will be swapping it out shortly after the car is on the road as I want to get a transbraked Jatco.

Im not sure how long the supra box will last with boost though.

#10 _workinprogress_

_workinprogress_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:26 AM

i dont see any reason why you couldnt run the gearbox from a skyline. The rb25t r33's would have the strongest boxes. and you wouldnt need a different bellhousing. I doubt the shifter position would be in the right place though. Ask your nearest rice shop what the dimensions are and im sure they could tell you.

#11 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

I guess I am also trying to get away with the least modifications to the car itself, the RB30 motor is a good option but I would like to keep the interior around the console as close to original as well - which affects the choice of transmission. I have seen some good manual boxes and conversions which could be goers.

#12 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

Give it a crazy mod like four-on-the-tree or something, haha

Then you can put any console in it!

#13 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hey surfmaster, i am putting an rb30et and r33 5spd box into an LH, this shows where the shifter sits. And thats with NO massaging of the tunnel. I might have to do a LITTLE bit with a hammer to get a few more mm of clearance But its fit pretty well so far, i thought!
Posted Image

RB30ET- LH project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/421999

#14 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

How far back do you reckon the gearstick is from original?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users