Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hi

My ignition light doesn't light up when the key is turned (or at any other time). The car starts fine, the amp meter indicates that the alternator is charging ok. It was fine before I removed then replaced the starter the other day. The wires to the starter and the alternator seem to be in place.

I realise that the problem may be a bulb in the guage and I will pull out the cluster if I have to but only as a last resort.

Any clues? Thanks in advance.

Bazza

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

If all they other instruments work then the power supply to the lamp should be okay. The lamp is earthed at the regulator when the voltage drops below a preset level, typically 11.5V or so.
Do you still have original setup with the external regulator? Check the connections of the two wires that connect between the regulator and the alternator. You can check whether the globe is the problem by removing the brown wire from the regulator and generator and measuring the voltage between the wire and earth with the ignition in the on position. If it is 12V the globe and all wiring to that point is good. You could just earth this wire to see if the globe lights, though Im not sure whether this globe was not designed without a certain amount of series resistance in its earthing through the regulator.
If you have a newer alternator with internal reg, check the small brown wire that plugs into the back of the alternator, it is required to actually trigger the alternator into charging......if the light isnt there it wont charge......so this is not perhaps what you have, since you have charging happening?
Check what the voltage is at the battery while the engine is running, the regulator may be playing up in more ways than one.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 26 December 2006 - 09:28 PM.

#3 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:05 PM

Thanks devilsadvocate, I will try some of those tests tomorrow.

There is a black aftermarket voltage reg which seems to have been used for some time. The original silver/yellow tape one is still screwed onto the guard but is not connected. I intend to reconnect the original - perhaps this is a good time but I am not sure of the connections.

Everything was working fine before I removed the starter. I remember having to crip a new connector onto a wire on the back of alternator as everything was brittle due to the proximity to the extractors. I have the original headers fitted now. Perhaps my crimping techinique is crappy.

Thanks

Bazza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users