Street Machine mag cover car

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:34 AM

Similarly, we car enthusiasts should have enough sense to realise what is right and correct for the collective whole. Individualism (i.e. it's my car and I can do what I like) is childish

Hi Mark,
I am not trying to flame you (as such) I am just trying to put my point across as part of this whole debate, sorry in advance if it offends you....

I have a question...is your car 100% stock (as possible IE tyres not included)
yes well OK...if not then sorry then you have changed your car to suit your Individualism...just like Litre8...I believe it is was an SLR5000......do you think he is childish ? Most people love that car...as the car is unique and built to please the Individual.

If you sat Litre8 next to RedA9X's A9X and you held a poll of passing people...I wonder what the outcome would be....which one would win as their favorite car...I bet they both get similar votes....as every one has different tastes...

Oh and another thing....I think all you guys/gals should read this...I wonder if this can happen is OZ.???? (in regards to SM)

http://www.lightread...sp?doc_id=85996

Edited by LXChev366, 03 January 2006 - 08:40 AM.

#27 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:18 AM

LCChev366: I certainly hope that no one ever gets to the stage of doing what's suggested in that article you posted. Especially Street Machine.

I belive that Street machine has enough sense to realise that what has been said here is personal opinion and is not intended to harm their magazine. HOWEVER. I do urge EVERY user to watch what they say. The mod and Admin team IS watching to make sure that nothing is said that could harm a business or organisation as this sort of legal action is all too common these days. Something we do not want on this board.

As for the topic, My personal opinion is that SM slipped many years back. I used to be a subscriber but i found the content and accuracy lacking ( when i got to KNOW some of the owners of featured cars) so i voted with my feet and walked away from the mag. I must admit one thing having said that. My engine builder's front engine dragster was "featured" as part of a tory on the first ever Nostalgia drags, and his words formed the article pretty well word for word! I was glad to buy THAT copy!!

I'm not going NEAR the debate of what to do with original cars other than to say if you guys knew what the older generation ( my engine builder for example) did to what's now a collectible car you would be in tears. ( as some of those guys are! LOL)

Cheers

#28 _202_xu1_

_202_xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

this realy gives me the shits everyone of you with a few exceptions has butcherd a car at some stage the people say that he stuffed an xu1 are dreamers wishing they have what he has if you own an original S model and chop flutes into it and put a bobtail on it does that put you in the same group as mr mad?? you people should be ashamed he has brought a spot light to toranas in general and particuly xu1's for some young people this would be the first torana they see and might get them hooked

just my 2 bobs worth

#29 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

I know of a LC XU-1 near me, definatly it is an XU-1 BUT it has no tags and no motor.

So would I buy it and do it up concourse just so people say well its not original or do I put some mini tubbs in it and go racing

Either way I lose

Cheers

Loui

#30 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

keeps choppin them up ya making my SL worth more!!
dead set if you own it do what ya want because for every one that gets chopped up theres 3 that gets stashed in a shed.
my hatch aint no SS or A9X but its mine. and i personally dont want to chop bits outta it because i want it as an example for years to come (look what your great grandma use to get the shopping in!) and im sure there are many more people around with the same idea.

#31 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:57 AM

I would have prefered to see Mr. Mad rebuilt to standard XU-1, but the car itself now is fan bloody tastic. Chopping up xu-1's, monaros, shakers etc is not a new concept. Many in the day ended up as drag cars or speedway cars. I was talking to a guy at the start of last year who used to use xu-1's as speedway cars. Why, because they were only about $800 to buy and you had to do nothing to them for racing. Of couse he said if he knew what they would worth today it never would have happened :spoton:

#32 _EvilGTR_

_EvilGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:59 PM

Wow... this certainly became a heated thread all of a sudden. I would add that Tiny is 100% right in saying:

I belive that Street machine has enough sense to realise that what has been said here is personal opinion and is not intended to harm their magazine. HOWEVER. I do urge EVERY user to watch what they say. The mod and Admin team IS watching to make sure that nothing is said that could harm a business or organisation as this sort of legal action is all too common these days. Something we do not want on this board.

This also extends to personal attacks made by other members against people who have only expressed an opinion. SupaLJ denoted his first comment as only an opinion by writing at the end "just my 2cents." While any car forum is going to have an element of preservation (as per majuva33) vs individualism (as per Herne), I would think that labelling people as 'dreamers' or 'elitist' without knowing the context of where the argument is coming from (i.e. their own experiences with cars) seems to be the only negative occurence in this thread:

this realy gives me the shits everyone of you with a few exceptions has butcherd a car at some stage the people say that he stuffed an xu1 are dreamers wishing they have what he has if you own an original S model and chop flutes into it and put a bobtail on it does that put you in the same group as mr mad??

Am I in the same group, owning an LJ that is an S with flutes welded in from the previous owner:
- I didn't like the idea of it looking like an XU1, so I made it a GTR look-a-like
- I have thrown stupid cash & 6 years of my life at it, going, in my opinion, beyond the point of being a dreamer
- I love the concept of it being a sleeper, i.e. looking like a GTR but with XU1 running gear
- seeing it as both an act of preservation and improvement. I couldn't care less now about it not having the genuine tags. I built it. It's mine.
- firmly believing that if it was a genuine XU1 or GTR, I would have left it factory.

The latter point is a biggy. It's my opinion. I am entitled to it. I can however, couch or say it in such a manner that doesn't offend anyone. Herne should be able to say what he believes without saying at the end of his post

Flame away guys I am way past caring and bullet proof to boot!

This highlights to me what is the only real problem with ANY public forum, not just this forum - mods and admin can't think for us in the sense of: "should I write that, it may offend someone." It is up to the individual to do that, and do it without resorting to personal attacks or labelling.

A long time member of the forums, I have often preferred just to read posts, without getting involved. I made the comment about MR-MAD being butchered because, like SupaLJ, I think the end result could have been achieved with.... the same beginning as mine, an 'S.' I can substantiate my point of view by quoting SM itself: "A trained eye will notice that the rear wheel arches have been extended to house the extra wheel size. On the inside nothing from the factory exists anymore - it was all replaced with purpose-built suspension tubing and alloy sheet-work... exterior of the car is factory with only the necessities being changed... cut-outs in the sill panels for the exhausts, Perspex rear and side windows and the ever-so-menacing fibreglass bonnet."

SupaLJ is correct in saying it could have been done with an S. And no, nobody knows the condition of the vehicle when the project started. The article doesn't state that. But the end result would have been the same. Toranavista got it spot-on:

Agree we need to judge every car on its own merits (regardless of model/type), and accept that even if we dont like it we have to respect what someone does to their own car.

I respect it. I don't have to like it. :banghead:

For my money, I liked how 82911 reponded to the thread:

And Camiras rule!!!
Owned 3 of them chop... great cars, sort of the modern day front wheel drive version of a Datto 1200!!!
Thrash the crap out of them then go buy another 1...
As for chopping up originals to go drag racing???
I'll just shrink back to someplace dark...

I owned a Camira for 5 years. :cry: Again, I feel entitled to have an opinion about it. I don't have to like my old Camira either - or deny the shame I feel inside for owning when I could have bought a Torrie earlier. :D

Apologies for the essay, just adding my 2 cents.

#33 _EvilGTR_

_EvilGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

And my Camira was an SLE too! :rockon:

#34 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:53 PM

Just to point out my elitist term was not aimed at anyone in particular here but some of the Torana community on general.

I think the guys here know me by now and IF I want to call someone names I will do it on the forum and to their face. I refrain from forum abuse as much as I possibly can but reserve my right to generalise a bit.

Hope this clears the murky water some!

Cheers
Herne

#35 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Name:HSVGTS

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

I wouldn�t worry to much, like someone else said there won�t be to many torana�s around in a few more years, people will have to start looking after what they got or they�ll continue to feed ebay and the spare parts market.

Just to have a torana is something special no matter what type it is. Some of us are lucky enough to have the more desired models [again, a matter of opinion] however if I wasn�t able to acquire what I have I would only be too happy to build/modify what model torana I LIKE, [which I�m doing anyway].

Tags will become less important as toranas start drying up, logbooks don�t get much of a mention any more and at one time a �one owner� was the go. Of course the models with all these will be very valuable but there won�t be to many of those.

Only my opinion������.Regards

Ps. Not real sure about Camira�s though !! sorry�.

#36 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

LXCHEV366 wrote:

I have a question...is your car 100% stock (as possible IE tyres not included) yes well OK...if not then sorry then you have changed your car to suit your Individualism...just like Litre8...I believe it is was an SLR5000......do you think he is childish ? Most people love that car...as the car is unique and built to please the Individual.

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I was a bit ambiguous in my original post. I believe my words were written in the context of what is necessary to achieve an 'individualised' car. As it has been said many times in this thread, it wasn't necessary to chop up a perfectly good XU-1 (if that is what it was) to this extent. The exact same result would have been achieved by a 2 door 'S'.

I see a notable difference between 'individualising' even a genuine XU-1 or SLR5000 etc, and the extent of the modification on this vehicle. It can be said that MRMAD is basically beyond the possibility of ever being brought back to any semblance of originality.

This in my books, is a shame. But then again, maybe I'm just too old and a sentimental fuddy duddy :fool:

#37 _SUPALJ_

_SUPALJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

Ok I see that I have stirred up a hornets nest. Agreed not every-one shares my opinion, to each there own. But in my defence, My first car was to be a genuine GTR 1 owner. It was in a car yard. It was when the bug bit. This 1 owner car was owned by a older gentleman who worked at holdens who walked down the line as it was bieng made and was finally upgrading his car. My finances at the time were a bit limited but I had saved about $1800 in my bank account in only 3 months, But anyway the bank said that they would not lend me the rest of the money to buy the car. "BASTARDS". Anyway to cut a long story short that was to be the only time I though that I could realisticly afford a GTR or XU1. So to see some-one butcher a XU1 for drag racing purposes really got me mad. Dont get me wrong I love the Mr Mad Torana I just think for the same effort and money he could have used a S model. No actually he could have sold the XU1 and bought 3 or 4 S model coupes. Ok back to my point I don't believe anybody out there who owns a LCC/J coupe would think this the right thing to do. call me eliteist or whatever the XU1 is "A piece of Australian motoring history" and in being so it should be preserved as much as possible. As an owner of 7 toranas over the years some drivers some parts cars. If I had known one of the cars in my posession was a Genuine GTR or XU1 it would be still in my shed. And I would be spending every cent of extra money to restore it to original condition. Fair enough once some parts are gone they are gone but I would ensure to the best of my ability the originality of the car. At the moment I have 2 LJ coupes none of which I believe to be either GTRs or XU1s although one the previous owner mocked up as a XU1. I think that its stupid to make a car some thing it's not. I actually prefer the shape without the spoilers.

Again my 2 cents SUPALJ

#38 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

You know what? Who cares if it WAS an Xu1, the car looks,and goes great, it's showing the import/sports compact guys what a OZ muscle can really do, and its advertising the greatness/following that these car have, but most of all its his car, his money. I say good on him for doing what HE wanted and not what other people think should be done regardless of what the car is/was/should've been. It wasnt many years ago that turning these sorts of cars into DRAG cars was considered normal, the only reason its frowned on now is because alot of people have worked that these cars are worth something, it all comes down to peoples wallets now- HOW MUCH MONEY CAN I MAKE- but im not saying that everyone on this forum thinks that way- Either way what a F*&kin MAD Torana, ohh and in reference to that "bathurst" Monaro-its geniune.

#39 LJ383

LJ383

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

Isnt Mr Mad an ex Joe Cutelli torana? Im sure i have a pic of this car in bare metal stage when it was being build quite awhile ago.

Cheers
Adam

#40 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:36 AM

To cut up an XU1 in todays age would be criminal and reading through this thread seems ok to the LH/LX boys , would you pay 100 grand for an A9X hatch then hot rod it. dont think so ... i have a genuine XU1 myself and wouldnt think of it .....

10 or 20 years ago when toranas were common , cheap and not as desirable then no one gave a shit if you modified it untill the remains was only the original skins . times have changed !!!!!

just in case i get any flack ,, yes i,ve hot rodded one of my LJ,S but it was an S model to start with and it was lying in a paddock with a rusted out floor and sills ,
unlikely to see the road again ..

my 2 penny,s worth

ps , i am helping a friend replace the floor pan on a ladder barred ex drag car which is an original number matching strike me pink XU1 , and what a prick of a job... (one more xu1 saved).

#41 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:09 AM

i had a xu-1 when i was 15 and i flogged the crap outta it, there was not 1 post in my street without that lovley pumpkiny-mustard paint on it from me sliding sideways, forewards and sometimes backwards into them, that was the car i learned how to drive in and every xu-1 owner on this forum prolly wants to flame ino me for it but hey, i brought it, i killed it... my choice.
As i said earlier, for every 1 killed 3 will be stuffed in a shed.
*goes to finish her drink*

#42 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:24 AM

I think that 830hp is right on the buzzer" Times Have Changed"..

Take hot rods for example, they are a complete mod job to the original car but for some strange reason its considerd to be perfectly normal for you to get a 34 ford and chop it to peices and make somthing completly different to what it was at birth..

Yes as torana lovers we should try our best to preserve the rare models like XU1' A9X's and L34 etc, but at the end ot the day it was Ok for Harry Firth and HDT to modify the crap out of XU1's and so forth to make them Mud Races. Gees who would bare the thought of distroying an XU1 to go thrashing it over big dirt jumps and drowning it in mud. If you tried it today you would probly get shot but Harry was considerd almost a god for doing it in the 70's

Times have changed guys BIG TIME!!!!

Cheers
John

Edited by TORANASS, 04 January 2006 - 01:25 AM.

#43 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:25 AM

I fail to see the difference between cutting up a ridgey didge immaculate 'S' and an XU1... Both really are parts of our motoring history.

This is an arguement that has raged, and will continue to as long as people are modifying cars.

What would you pefer to see, 100 identically restored/orginal XU1's or 99 identically restored/original XU1's and 1 MRMAD? My votes for the latter, regardless of what numbers may or may not have been stamped on the body.

Friend of mine has a genuine VH SS Group 2 Brock Commodore, number's matching all that stuff, one owner before he got it. It now runs a 355 stroker, T350, 9", 6 point chromemoly cage and cell in the boot. But its still a damn sweet car.

#44 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:31 AM

If i had money to splash around i TOO would chop up a original, without batting a eyelid.

Because at the end of the day , even though it isnt a road car "MRMAD" he has spent enormous amounts of $$$ to bring it to a high standard.. instead of just butchering a original car.. Good on him.

Basically i see three types of people in the car game....

The Restorers who would tear his liver out for doing this.. and fair enough since there into rebuilding to original state.. with possibly retro upgrades.

The Butchers who just stuff up the car there building..eg Dont spent cash

The Rich Pricks who basically spent huge dollars to build ( more to the point get others) fast/show cars.

Denis
Lostit

PS Remeber the golden rule : Money talks bullshit walks.

#45 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:23 AM

think about this , these are approximate figures only

1600 LC XU1,S BUILT , ONLY 400 LEFT
1600 LJ XU1,S BUILT , ONLY 400 LEFT
150 BATHURST 73 XU1,S BUILT , ONLY 31 LEFT ..

thats less than 25 percent ....

and out of these how many are rebirthed with dodgy tags ??

sorry if i sound like a greeny ...

#46 _NRV051_

_NRV051_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:01 AM

you know what they say. Anyone can build or restore a car. It takes a real man to cut one up. So another XU-1 is history thats the owners peragoative. This car I think is the okld blo joe car so it was a race car many years ago, before pepole started worrying about how many xu1s are left. Either way it looks great and I cant wait to see it on the track. Maybe some of you torana purists need to start a save the xu1 campaign and start handing over some folding stuff to stop people from doing this sort of a thing.. Lokk at this way, we have a LJ GTR (so its not and Xu1 but its the closest thing) and If I was wanting to modify a torrie I am not going to go out and buy another one and start from scratch again, I will just continue modifing the LJ, unless some one wants to come up with some decent cash to take it away from me and save it from its doom. Horse for corses people. Dont discriminate on the bassis of what someone did to there own car.

Gav

#47 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:44 AM

cal400 is actually an lc gtr :P

#48 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

Funny who everyone speaks of XU-1's. How many 1600 overhead cam LC's/LJ's are still out there. Prolly rarer than any XU-1, SL/R500 or A9X.

'Hey little big wheels!'

Didn't realise this till I got the old torry ads, most of em seem to be for the four cylinder models, not old enough to know if that was the way they appeared on the tele though (more 4 cyl ads than six), was too busy learning to crawl, in fact don't even think we had a tele.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users