Head and tail light surrounds -- Restoration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _geewiz_

_geewiz_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:29 AM

Gday,

Trying to source a pair of head and tail light surrounds can be an adventure and costly exercise. As the level of LC/LJ popularity increases, the availability of good surrounds becomes a scarce option.

Alternativly, making with what you got. What are the options (both DIY and professionally) in terms of reviving battle scared surrounds?

-gw

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

finding a good old panel beater to dress them up is your best bet, then polish/paint them.
or you could just niki them up and paint them if you not looking for the ridgy look.

#3 _fat tony_

_fat tony_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:29 AM

The dude I spoke to you at rare spares brisbane said they do exchange lj headlight and tail light surrounds. He said about $80 each.
If you can get away with it I would steer clear of polishing the silver parts of the surround as from the factory they look more to me like they were clear anodized. ( That is the finish you see on aluminium windows in older houses which are silver coloured ). Once something is polished you will have to keep polishing it. At least if it is anodized it is protected from the weather and maintains a satin factory finish.

If you do end up paying the big bucks for n.o.s surrounds I would have a good look at them. I have seen some headlight surrounds still in the plastic bags which have had a pretty hard life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users