23 replies to this topic

#1 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

This kind of stuff makes my blood boil !!

Have a look at the engine number and head !!

DO THEY LOOK ORIGINAL TO YOU ?????

http://www.australia...au/muscle/85536

#2 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

The head is definetly an xu1 head but that engine number..YEAH RIGHT.............

#3 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

Can you enlighten those of us that aren't up to speed?

#4 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

the head is correct , however the guy who stamped the numbers on the block had one too many

#5 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

Jklumpp

Have a look at the engine stamping for the JP block Dave720GTR has for sale at the moment on this site and then compare it to the one in the glacier white XU1.

Do you see anything different ??

I can't bleieve AMC! surely they are aware of this !!!!!

#6 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

Sounds like a good spot for Dave720GTR's block...should offer it to him for a tidy sum.

#7 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:15 PM

This car sold a few weeks back and then fell through and is relisted, l am not suprised.

#8 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

^^ A great case of buyer beware !!! LOL :D D.

#9 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:44 PM

Well Spotted, the engine numbers seem to be in the wrong place, VIN is verified as 7/73 82911 Car, but no engine number listed on the Master List. This car was advertised for big dollars also. The Head is XU1 but the date cast seems incorrect for a 7/73 XU1 also. rgds Sunburst.

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:46 PM

It certainly looks restamped. The tags have been off too, however, look at the price...., appropriate for a car thats not 100%, if it was, they would be asking alot more money. In defence of AMCS, they are basically brokers, and if they sell a car they own and it's not right, they refund the money. They can only go on what the seller tells them most of the time, and can't check out every car, and don't have the knowledge for every car. I have checked a few out for them in the past when customers have asked. They are a nice couple of guys trying to make money like anyone.;

#11 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:22 PM

Hi Red A9X, I thought $60,000.00 was big dollars for XU-1, probably fair for a matching numbers car in good nick with low Klms (more for concours), with a restamped block I would have thought half that would have been tops. Sunburst

#12 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

There have been XU1's advertised over $100,000, so I figure this is about right.

#13 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

that is a cheap price as xu1s are getting very expensive and hitting the $100 000 plus mark.
why should a xu1 be cheaper then a gt falcon i would rather have a xu1.
their are more gt falcons then xu1.
the white xu1 on AMS is no good as the the tags do not match body trust me.

#14 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:30 AM

do you know somthing about this car
is it a reshell

#15 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:25 AM

that is the ugliest restamp ive ever seen, the whole car seems dodgy to me .a very knowledable little dickie bird told me that the front id plates had been offered for sale some time in the past,2nd time for sale on that site?? i contacted the site to be told(only print what we are told by the owner of car).does make ya boil a bit, :<_<: cheers daz

#16 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:30 AM

So AMCS has no responability to authenticate the vehicles they sell, is that right MOB.

With a reputation to keep, which I thought was good. I thought they would guard against shonks by having checks done (on these high end vehicles in particular).

If a listed car turns out to be suspect, they do nothing because of the above first line. Buyer beware policy or do they unlist the vehicle.

This forum rings the alarm bells quickly and loudly.

So are they just like most billboard sales internet companies (ebay in particular), that are happy to take the cream off the top and any problems are yours?

Shame really, there is so much potential for some ill informed sole to be stiffed.

We have all heard about it happening to someone and then they hear that first line when they work out they have been shafted.

Yes, I have seen it many times. One case was a reputable auction house here in Adelaide that sold a particular high end torana. Some knowledgeable A9X members had the bonnet slammed down on them when they pointed out the obvious, they were told it was sold and asked to leave very unpolitely. The new owner later contacted the club to authenticate the car and to join. Can you imagine the sad task of telling him he had been stiffed. He now has a real car and this time went through the A9X club to authenticate the car prior to purchase.

DO YOUR OWN CHECKS PEOPLE, The salesman just wants your money (don't take his word as gospel). All the problems are yours!!

( This is a broad statement not directed at AMCS specifically)

Cheers

#17 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

humm!!! yer no dout thats a restamted block, faaarrrkkk off 60k for some thing
not matching numbers or dodge ones you HAVE TO BE JOKING!!! :<_<:

IF A FAKE OR MOCK UP xu1 can pull that kind of money then i want 50k for my gtr
with its log books, full history photos from new. all matching numbers LOL" :tease: :D harrr

#18 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

With a reputation to keep, which I thought was good. I thought they would guard against shonks by having checks done (on these high end vehicles in particular).

l emailed Mike Selby of AMCS when this car first listed telling him the block was a re-stamp. Never got a reply.

#19 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

The wording of the ad kind of gives it away too.
Original head and JP engine block - why not just say original engine ?
It's as if they are recognising the fact that it's not the original engine, but they're not spelling it out for those who don't know the difference.

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:41 PM

Darky, I think what you are saying goes without saying. Do your checks, organise someone if you have no idea.
AMCS had several cars they owned themselves last time I was there. If they have a car they own and sell, and it turns out to be dodgy, they will refund money. The had a Valiant there the day I was there that was beautiful, but the buyer had it a week or so and found the body had been restamped, they gave a full refund, they didn't know themselves and it was by pure chance the guy found it as he had given it a good going over before purchase.
Most cars on there however are purely someone emailing in some pics and a description, from all over the country. It's not like all these cars are on a lot, so it would be hard to control in that way. Like I said, if a customer wants a car checked out then AMCS can organise that. I looked at a few for them in the past

Mick

#21 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

"One case was a reputable auction house here in Adelaide that sold a particular high end torana. Some knowledgeable A9X members had the bonnet slammed down on them when they pointed out the obvious, they were told it was sold and asked to leave very unpolitely. The new owner later contacted the club to authenticate the car and to join. Can you imagine the sad task of telling him he had been stiffed. He now has a real car and this time went through the A9X club to authenticate the car prior to purchase."

was that the white hatch down there???

I looked at a windsor blue sedan about 10 years ago on a lot. it was average and out comes this saleman. He tries to tell me, yeah look the paint is rough, but it's one owner original paint and we didn't want to repaint it. I say, yeah good, but the car has been painted and the chassis number doesn't match the compliance plate. He then says, mate you have no idea, it's a Holden not a Ford, the chassis number isn't meant to match the engine hahahah not only was this guy dumb, but deaf as well. Anway, 10 years later and it's one of the cars I went to check out for AMCS and now the chassis number matches..... what does that tell you. And no AMCS did not restamp it

#22 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

Yes this car is a re shell

#23 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

I also pointed out to Mike that the L34 Yellow car was ADRed about 4 months before Bob Morris' car was made and also got no reply. In their defence as Michael says..they are brokers...not MC experts on ID of all cars and models. Caveat Emptor?..Buyer beware...still apllies today. The silver Group C XU1 is another one...been there for months..people in the know...know...its not hard to get the info..some dont want to know..Fools and their money are easy parted..
R

#24 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

MOB good to hear the cars owned are covered, but I think I have made my point.

Not the white (rough) hatch and I have to leave it there.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users