A quick boot dress up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:22 AM

Here are a couple of photo's of my boot I quickly refitted two days ago, the job took me about 4 hrs all up including drying time for the glue etc.. I had a very ordinary looking boot - ordinary being kind lol Torn frayed carpet, rough looking factory finish which had deteriorated with age and I thought this is no good for Summernats so here are my results.
A do have a friend who used to retrim cars and when he gets back from hols we will tidy and dress it up some more! At vleast now I wont be ashamed to open my boot for Summernats judging.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy and or comment :)

Cheers
Herne

#2 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:59 AM

hey nice looking boot i really like the look of a boxed up boot if thats what ya call it! how did ya manage to secure the pannels? i guess you use brackets behind them but looks liek a pain in the ass to screw them in?

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

Thanks lj chev.
The panels are screwed in with self tappers but the trick with this design was to mount the flat floor pan and the woofer box itself before adding the side panels, then they can also be screwed directly into the ends of the sides - meaty (timber) of the woofer box. No brackets were used.
This is the second boot I have refitted and this particular design allows more room and was easier to fabricate than the previous effort on my old white LX.
The hardest part is lining up the holes made by the self tappers after the test fit. only two screws per panel are used and pretty well hidden.

I guess boxed up is not a bad phrase for what I did :)
The whole unit can be disassembled in a matter of less than 5 mins thus retaining an original boot should it ever be required.

Cheers
Herne

#4 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

very nice. good job.

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

Looking good Herne, if you have any other photos of before it was finished or anything I'd love to see them for some inspiration. Cheers mate

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

Cheers Kaz and Heath

Sorry Heath but I didn't take any 'before' photo's of the boot, now you mention it I wish I had! Nor did I take any progress pics of the procedure...Just look at any old torana boot, imagine it looking rough and thats what my boot was like :)
The only other photo's I have are of the first boot job I did, you are welcome to those if you want - just ask if interested.
I will eventually post some photo's after my mate the ex motor trimmer has worked on it somemore but don't hold your breath he does good work but only when he feels like doing it. I am happy to wait.

Cheers
Herne

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

haha no problem mate, thanks anyway. I'll talk to you on msn about the other photos though.

#8 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

Where's the spare?

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

Where's the spare?

Right, that's what I forgot to ask.

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

For now the spare is carried in anyone elses car lol, when we fix it up proper I hope to make a somewhat concealed compartment for the spare. It will do for Summernats which is my aim, the detail will come later. I have a nice photo of a boot thats dressy and has room for the spare, I might move along those lines....
A good number of us in Canberra do not actually carry spares lol go figure ;) I guess we humbly rely on those who do!

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 02 January 2006 - 05:39 PM.

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

haha wouldn't wanna be the odd one out without cut guards or something :P

#12 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

Yeh, who needs a spare, in having driven close to a million kms ive never had a flat(changed tyres for plenty of others though) but i know the moment I turf it out what will happen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users