Installing new front springs in a HQ Monaro...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

I've just pulled the sub-frame out of my monaro and im going to give it a fresh coat of paint, new bush's and springs etc. Im just wondering how do i install the new springs without the weight of the car to help. When i've replaced springs before i just used a jack and the cars weight to compress the spring, but i've got no idea how to do it without the cars weight.

Thanks
Damien

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

If they are lowered springs, they will literally fall in.

#3 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:39 PM

If they are standard height they have to be compressed with a suitable tool otherwise they will fly out and do damage.

#4 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

They will be lowered springs, how much lower i dont know because i havent bought them yet :). The only spring compressors i've seen have been for the strut type suspension because theres no way they would fit between the upper and lower wishbone.

Damien

#5 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

Sorry, I misread the post slightly, if you are only putting lowered springs in they should go in with compressing. (like Chopper said) There used to be tools to compress HQ springs for reinstalling - the springs were compressed in a press and then three pieces of metal about 8 inches long with a hook at each end were put over the coils to hold them compressed. Then the springs were put in the suspension bolted up and the tools removed.

Edited by surfmaster, 02 January 2006 - 09:07 PM.

#6 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

i think ill just get some nice low springs, easy to install and should look nice too ;).

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

When I installed a set of 2" lowered front springs in my Sandman, they fell in . So at a guess, even if you only had 1" lowered, they should still go in without the need of spring compressors , jacks etc.

#8 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:51 PM

Sounds great thanks mate, im just putting together a list of parts i need and prices for the front end.

So far i have these from ebay, the prices seem right.

HOLDEN FRONT DISC BRAKE WHEEL BEARING KIT..BOTH WHEELS $29.00 Kit
HOLDEN HQ & HJ COMPLETE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT $169 Kit (All 4 Tie Rod Ends .. All 4 Ball Joints.. Idler Arm and Drag link Assembly)

What springs and shocks do you recommend, i think ill go 2" lowered because 1" lowered in my sedan didnt drop it enough he he. For shocks i dont think at this stage i want to go all out and spend hundreds per shock, maybe just some monro gas or somthing? I have to ring around for bush prices yet :).

Edited by jabba, 03 January 2006 - 10:52 PM.

#9 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:55 AM

Hey Jabba.. Take a look at the Koni Adjustable shocks from Whiteline suspension. I got those cause they were not a great deal more expensive than the lesser bramds!

Best of luck mate

#10 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:52 AM

How much were they a corner?

Damien

#11 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip