Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

Hi all,

Ok, here's what I'm up to on my late '76 LX Torana Hatchback... at the moment the little 253 is still running the factory 2 barrel intake manifold and WW Stromberg carb. I'm gonna rip this off and fit a 4 barrel manifold and quaddy.

So what I want to know is....

How many different types of 4 barrel manifolds are there? (I'm talking factory manifolds, not fancy aftermarket ones)...

I assume all factory manifolds would be dual-planes?

What are the differences between pollution and non-pollution ones?

What cars/years/models etc did the various manifolds come off???

Are all 253 and 308 manifolds exactly the same or are there differences??

Anything else I need to look out for?? And what would the best manfiold be?? (ie. are there any performance gains or anything???)

I do have a 4 barrel manifold that I bought from Guns N Roses ages ago... I'll post up some pics sometime to try help to identify it, and hopefully it will be the one that I want!!

Any info or advice would be great!

Cheers,
Brett.

#2 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

i think the easier thing would be if you posted a pic of your manifold that on there now and the one you are wishing to put on there. basically there are 2 different types of manifolds. the early ones without the cross over port they only have one middle bolt and the later ones, that were onblue heads and onwards and the have 2 middle bolts. there are other difference but they arent really that much of an issue unless you are trying to maintain that original look. i hope that makes sense, its been a long week for me

#3 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:46 AM

I find this book very informative,has a wealth of information.
Posted Image
bout' 40 bucks.

p.s i scanned the manifold page but it turned out shit so i didnt post it.

#4 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

And FULLL of mistakes. I had a good laught when I read that book.

You'll need a red 308 manifold from around the same era as your engine, provided of course it doesn't have blue heads on it. There are plenty of different ones out there but it's all about pollution, so what model /year it came off. A 308 manifold will bolt straight onto a 253.

#5 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

red thats why i wanted to see a pic of his motor and the manifold he wanted to put on to make sure they are the same era

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

Thanks guys, I'll take some pics soon, but from what's been said, I'm pretty sure I will need to go with the pollution manifold from a red motor (I believe my engine is the original, and the car is late '76).

I would love to grab a book all about 253/308's... but if that one shown above is full of errors, is it still worth buying, or is there a better one that comes recommended???

Cheers all.

#7 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

You will need to have the correct jets for the 253 as the 308 quad will run too rich on your 253.

The main difference between the manifolds is the EGR ports in the centre of the manifold. Look at your heads on the intake side, 4 ports non EGR, 5 ports EGR.

All VC onwards 253s had 4 barrels and rejetted quads.

James

#8 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

I've got an old quaddie and pollution manifold in the shed if you needed mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users