Origional or Nolothane type bush's?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

What type of bush's should i use on my monaro, at the moment im rebuilding the front end so im just wondering whats the best bush's to use, expesially the body to sub-frame bush's. Is there a noticable difference when using nolothane, is the ride really harsh. Id prefer the nolothane because afaik they last alot longer. The car wouldnt be a daily driver but i dont want it to rattle its self to peices either.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

George Bush. Can't go wrong!

#3 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:09 PM

:rolleyes: :huh:

#4 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:08 AM

Don't use nolethane, use Noltec, or perhaps superpro. Nolethane are'nt the best, and have a habit of turning to power or just plain shagging out.

Will stiffen up the ride, but more than worth the extra few bumps, if you were 70+ driving miss daisy, then just stick with rubber, if your a man, go the urethane.......

#5 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

What auto stores stock Noltec?? Ill get some prices on a complete kit.

#6 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

I personally prefer rubber bushes although you may not be able to get all the ones you need from Holden still, but being a HQ I wouldnt be surprised if they still stock them.

Ride quality is nice and smooth, but some people think to modify a car is to make it bumpy, hard ride, heavy steering and a very loud exhaust.
Just a case of bad modifying.

#7 _LX CHAMOIS HATCH_

_LX CHAMOIS HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

i did my front end in the torrie in mostly rubber, but what ever you do DONT do the steering coupling in nolothane as there is just too much vibration thru the steering wheel. i regret doing it and probably will change it. other than that i used rubber for the control arms (upper and lower) and nolothane for the chasis mount bushes, it provides me with a nice ride (except for that F&*$ing steering coupling)

anyways my 2 cents-----> rubber all the way

john

#8 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:10 PM

I used the super-pro ones in my front,noticeable difference & not too noisey or harsh ride.On the back I put nolathane which I am not to happy with as they are noisey & rock hard which isnt helped by the low profile tyres I have,down the track I will change the back to suprer-pro which are more suitable for a cruiser IMO.

#9 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:10 PM

I would suggest staying away from anything but rubber for the rear upper control arms.

Superpro ones come in 3 different hardnessess and even using the softest grade, the upper rear bushes split badly on mine in a few 000km's.

The converging arm 4 link used in the rear end of these cars are designed such that the upper bushes bind when cornering - if you don't allow them to compress quite substantially (by using rubber) they will either pickup the inside wheel on a turn or split the bushing.

Steering coupling is a personal preference thing, I use 2 steel type unis and think it feels great - I used to have a superpro one which I liked too but I needed the clearance.

Again I use superpro bushes between the body and subframe and they feel good - my next set for the new front end currently under construction are going to be alloy but I am going to back off the spring rate about 25% at the same time - I just need to remove the subframe bushes from my car to copy them on the lathe.

The suspension on mine is firm but still gives a good ride - certainly not what I would classify as a harsh ride.

My main gripe with any of the poly type bushes is the bloody squeaking.
I have a pair of polygraphite bushes from a chev here I was thinking of trying as they are supposed to address the issue but this will be some way off before I actually use them on the road.
This is a problem more for moving suspension points rather than things like the subframe spacer bushings though.

M@

#10 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

I forgot to add that I have the std bushes in the diff housing & trailing arms have nolathane.If you have taller profile tyres the ride wont be as bad as mine is but I have to agree that the extra noise from nolathane is very annoying.

#11 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

Thanks guys, lots of good info.

This explains why when i got new bush's pressed in for my diff and trailing arms (hq sedan) they installed rubber bush's in the top arms and nolothane in the lower. I havent driven the car enough to tell if they even squeek yet :(.

Edited by jabba, 03 January 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

Rubber bushes last 15 years.
Nolathane can split in half within months.
George Bush only has a couple more years to go.

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

Mats on the money. We will do Nolathene on the lowers and rubber on the tops in the racecar just for that bit of give otherwise it is way too harsh on the diff area.
Rory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users