Removing Window Tint

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

Not sure if it should go here or in paint & panel.

Today removed the tint from Yella's back window. I'd read previous posts on the issue, and tried a few of the tips out. Here's how I did it anyway.

Grabbed a razor blade, put a cut in the film to create a groove to get the blade in. First started using just a razor blade, but fingers get pretty sore pretty fast (public servant good for nothing hands). Ended up putting the blade in a pair of pliers, although if you can grab a scrapper that takes razor blades, would work much better (shops were closed by this time). With a handle, you can remove the old tint much faster, and progress is fast.

Others had mentioned adding heat. I just used the heat of the sun in the late afternoon, however I found that (after sun had set) the tinter is much easier to remove when cold. I think adding heat just adds to a gooey mess, I'd advise against that, and work it cold, and in the shade if possible.

The bottom of the rear screen has got to be the most difficult to remove (limited working space), however I found for whatever reason, that my tint was not adhered as well at the bottom. It may have also been that the sun had set by this time and I was working with cool tint, I dunno.

Once you have hit it with the razor, you'll end up with white sticky crap still on the window (the tint glue). Using the pliers, allowing use of more force actually reduced the amount of glue left over compared to chipping away by hand. Grab the Nail Polish Remover (Acetone in disguise), only a little bit, and rub the glue away. Clean window using window cleaner.

Hard work, but if your tint is stuffed, it's just making the car look stuffed anyways. I've never spent so much time on the back seat of a Torana (Brings back memories of many moons ago).

Here's what it looked like before. Photo makes it look better than what it is, it had actually gone milky and had a fair few big air bubbles in it. (Doing a Peter Brock here, but in this case, no trees.)
Posted Image

Here's the end result.
Posted Image

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 January 2007 - 10:20 PM.

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Too late now, but you could have bought a uc wreck for <$100, pulled out the rear window and put it in.....and then youd have a heated rear window.
tint is/was legal on the rear window?
there are 3 things in life that are certain, we know the 1st two, the third is "film added to tint windows well eventually look awful"
Anyway, thanks for the detailed account of how to get rid of it.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

Devils, ripping the window out and putting a clean one in did cross my mind, but yeah, it's not too bad getting rid of it once you get into it, just time. The big downside of pulling the rear screen out is the risk of finding rust down in the bottom corners. Don't want to cross that bridge just yet.

Car doesn't get driven enough, unfortunately, to justify rear demister. I'm digging the clear nothingness look.

Provided you have a left and right side mirror, you can have a 100% blacked out back window if you wanted. That's my understanding of the regs anyways.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:13 PM

While removing the tint, a question crossed my mind.

I'm used to using Acetone to clean up equipment after fibreglassing, as it acts as an anti-plasticiser. Given that, can you use a quick rub of Acetone (nail polish remover) to restore/cut back old vinyl that has gone hard?

Just a passing thought, I've tried a bit on a small bit of vinyl to see what it does.

#5 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

The wife said, to use a heat gun. She had her new car done about 5 times by the Tint Professor. That's how many times it takes to get right, i guess.

#6 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

I'm used to using Acetone to clean up equipment after fibreglassing, as it acts as an anti-plasticiser. Given that, can you use a quick rub of Acetone (nail polish remover) to restore/cut back old vinyl that has gone hard?

Just a passing thought, I've tried a bit on a small bit of vinyl to see what it does.

Certainly, the acetone will clean the vinyl well, but restore it? Would anticipate that acetone would remove more of the things that keep the vinyl together. Certainly let as all know what happens with you test piece.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

The wife said, to use a heat gun. She had her new car done about 5 times by the Tint Professor. That's how many times it takes to get right, i guess.

I get very nervous about heat guns and all that vinyl sitting around the place. Certainly, my experience (sitting in the sun, then in the shade) was that it was easier to remove when the tint was cool. Heat, just from the sun, seemed to just make a gooey sticky mess. The razor blade removed more of the glue when cool as well, requiring less acetone.

I'll let you know Devils. Certainly acetone is very volatile, so any damage would be short lived as it evaporates very fast.

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:22 AM

The razor blade removed more of the glue when cool as well.

Does the film have adhesive? I'm not sure. I have seen the film applied with a mist of soapy water for alignment and assumed it was vacuum that held it there after the "mist" had dried out. :huh:

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

Yup, the glue is integrated with the film. The soapy water just activates the glue. I thought the same thing Rodomo, surface tension, but it's not.

I only found out when I got a quote to get it redone ($90), if I removed the film. The dude said make sure you remove all the glue, didn't tell me how (useful), but yeah, after removing it, I can confirm there is indeed glue.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 08 January 2007 - 05:30 AM.

#10 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

i used to be a window tinter
take it from me, the best way to remove tint IS to heat it from the outside, and have someone on the inside feeling th heat, when th glass becomes warm, thats enough heat, and the tint should just come off
then, soapy water solution and a 1 inch scraper blade, and scrape the glue off
prick of a job, especially when the tint is OLD
new stuff just comes off

cheers
dave

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:17 AM

OK, that would work. I was thinking heat gun inside the car, and that thought was way too scarey. Pays to think outside the square sometimes.

#12 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

It might be an old wives tale but a trademan (glazier) told me to use baby shampoo to remove tint easy as he reconed no heat and no tears....
Baz

#13 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:58 PM

baby shampoo is the best thing to make up the soapy water spray solution, because of its detergent properties (really slippery)
doesnt do much to the glue, just makes it less likely to scratch glass
one thing i forgot to mention
when using a scraper, use a NEW blade, and when it starts dragging, CHANGE IT!
cheers
dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users