2 replies to this topic

#1 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

I recently noticed grease on the hubcaps and thought, 'Oh, the bearings are on their way out :rolleyes: '... so I changed the bearings.
The old ones didn't look too bad actually, but I thought WTF and changed them anyway.
There was a heap, and I mean a HEAP of grease inbetween the inner and outer bearings on both fronts. (can anyone guess as to why?) :blink:

I noticed a knocking through the pedals while coasting mainly, but there's always been a bit of a shudder through the brakes upon application.I figured I'll get round to a machining of the discs.....
So I checked the castlated (?) nut and it needed tightening on both sides, but I understand this is to be expected (?)
The knocking is still there, as is the brake shudder. Could I possibly need to tighten the nuts again?
Should i be looking at tie rods or something like this?

Now I bought this car as a 135,000 km (probably) one owner jobbie. It needed bugger all for a roadie, so I haven't been right over it yet.

Can anyone shed some light through experience please.

Cheers,
Dick

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

the real way to tell is to jack it up and wobble the wheels.

How much preload did you put on the bearings? My simple adjustment procedure is do the nut up FN tight and back it off 1 flat of the nut..being mindful of fitting the splitpin.

If it still shudders after this it would be a disc..but it should shudder thru the sterring wheel when the brakes are applied if that is the case.

#3 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, I get a wobble thru the wheel on brake application, but there's just this weird 'meandering'... I'll check it out when the afternoon temps become more bearable!!!
38 today, 39 tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users