Ignition switch

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _4door_LJ_

_4door_LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

Hi all,

Just need to know if the ignition switch half way down the steering column is universial btw the old Holdens (HQ - HZ, LJ - LX)
Looks like mine is stuffed on my LJ so I'm hoping any old swich will fit in.

Thanks

Troy

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

Just went to the Rare spares site and they have written:

Description: BARREL & KEYS IGNITION LOCK HQ HJ HX LJ LH LX so I guess you''ll be fine using a switch from any of those models.

#3 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

I got one out of a HQ and used it in my LX so they should be.

#4 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

buy a new one

#5 _dazzaslr308_

_dazzaslr308_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

u can quite easily dissasemble ur own and clean it up just turn the contacts around and make sure u dont loose any springs and to lightly grease the contacts before u reassemble to eliminate wear. the other guys are right all early holden swithches r the same one, one way holden kept the cost of the old beasts down was too standardise most electricsal items back then. regards darrin.

#6 _monaroman68_

_monaroman68_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

How do you get the barrel out?

Edited by monaroman68, 02 April 2007 - 11:02 AM.

#7 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:05 AM

The barrel has a spring loaded tab. Remove the steering wheel & indicator, you will see the slot it locks into. Push & hold the tab down with a small screwdriver & slide the barrel out.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:14 AM

VB - VK Commodore switches are also the same. The slot ^ mentioned is sometimes covered by a thin layer of cast, which can be removed with a small screwdriver tapped by a hammer.

#9 _monaroman68_

_monaroman68_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

I did that and got the new barrel in but im still having the same prblem. Ignition light is on and the starter doesn't engage , only after a few turns of the key .

#10 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

I had the same problem with the one tonner. Its not the barrel but either the rack & pinion gear that actuate the switch, or the switch itself. Mine had a broken tooth on the rack. I'll see if I can get you some pics off a spare column I have here.

#11 _monaroman68_

_monaroman68_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

I had the same problem with the one tonner. Its not the barrel but either the rack & pinion gear that actuate the switch, or the switch itself. Mine had a broken tooth on the rack. I'll see if I can get you some pics off a spare column I have here.

did ya find those pics of the column
Dave

#12 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

Had to find the column actually. Pulled it down to get a shot of the rack & pinion gear for you.

Posted Image

And a closer shot of the gear itself (I can't get the focus any better sorry).

Posted Image

The rod runs down to the actual switch which screws to the top side of the column under the dash.

#13 _monaroman68_

_monaroman68_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

Thanks DocDamage those photos will realy help and i appreciate your time to help.
Dave

#14 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

I would test at the slider switch mounted further down that this rod connects to
unplug connector and use jumper wire with batt on it and touch the plug pins, if starter kicks in then go to switch,
plug off , meter across open cct
turn key, rod moves down and closed cct at switch points.
if not then then check if rod moves down further and cct closes
if not replace slide switch

#15 _Holdenmad_

_Holdenmad_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

I have just discoverd the same problem, last night while otu and about with no tools and a long way from home. Lucky me. 3 yr old son in the car 8pm, ripped the column cover off and had a feel around. The ignition rack and pinion was at fault. The cog has about 1/4 of it broken off.
How do I go about replacing this?
do I need a whole new column or is there somewhere I can get the whole rack and pinion new?

Kinda need a quick fix too this is my daily driver, will have to take monday off work to fix it, as my wife needs her car to drive the kids around.

#16 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

quick fix
take the 2 wires off the switch on column and connect to push button switch,
mount in or under dash
then turn on ignition and push switch to start

Edited by limo, 06 May 2007 - 05:46 PM.

#17 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

You can buy all those parts from rare spares, i replaced all of them years ago

#18 _Holdenmad_

_Holdenmad_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Job done.

Got a cog from the wreckers for free. Replaced the barrel for $20. Add in the cost of a steering wheel puller, all up it cost me $35 and about half a day of work.

The cog was pretty well stripped, and the barrel took a lot of persuasion to come out, as the little pin thing was jammed. So the barrel was no good once I got it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users