Lowered Suspension

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

Howdy,

I've recently purchased, and installed a set of custom king springs onto the rear of my torana which were said to be 2 1/2" below standard.

I have a borg warner lsd installed and it seems the car is still sitting at it's original height. I'm a bit worried about going for even shorter springs, as when the car is jacked up (diff hanging down) the springs are loose, any shorter they'd fall out.

Could the problem be i haven't changed my shocks, i still have my pedders gas ones on there.

As you can see here, this is the current ride height.

Posted Image

Any help is most appreciated.

Cheers,
Rhys.

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

I would say the shocks definitely need changing too.

There is every chance the lowered springs are not even seated correctly due to the length of the shocks.

When mine was lowered with lovells springs the shocks were changed to koni adjustables.

Cheers
Herne

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:38 PM

i dont think the shocks are your problem, either the springs are not in properly or you havent got the right springs, if you not sure about the shocks just unbolt them, you will soon see if it is the shock.
when ordering new springs from the MANUFACTURE (not a shop) quote the height from the center of the wheel to the top of the guard you require as all good manufactures make their springs this way.
where did you get your springs?

#4 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:42 PM

i bought my springs through my local auto shop, bernie's auto in wodonga. Michael from Bernie's auto talked directly to king springs and specified 2 1/2" drop from standard.
When comparing my new springs to my old ones there is definately a 2 1/2" drop.
Tomorrow night when i get her back i'll rip out the shocks to check if that's the problem. The only problem with doing this is it will take a while, though a simple task, i have to pull out the axles first so i can slide the shock off the mount..

Thanks,
Rhys.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

your new springs are thicker right,
even tho the springs are shorter side by side, if they are thicker they will not compress as far.
find out the installed height measurement (from top of guard to axle/wheel center) from the manufacture and compare this to your car.

#6 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

that thought just crossed my mind, and unfortunately i think that's what the problem will be. maybe i have to buy some new springs and shocks. the springs being lower, but not heavy duty. if i go a smaller heavy duty spring i'll risk them falling out when driving.

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

you can get them as light or as heavy as you NEED, but speak directly with the manufacture and give them the installed height (top of guard/center of wheel) you require. :spoton:

#8 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

dont pull your axle .just undo at the top,compress and wire down.save time any way possible.

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

oh and with the shock, you will need one to suit the spring, shock manufactures also make shocks in different heights to suit lowered springs so the spring wont fall out.

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

That thing is high, looks like a 4WD, its because of the 17's, if you put standard 13's on your car will be 2.5" lower then standard but the 17's will raise your car probably 2.5" from standard.

What you need to do is buy the King Low's, off shelf springs with thick coil, then put your wheels on the car, measure how much lower you want the car and get the springs reset to suit, your guaranteed the right height to the nearest mm, no guess work at all, just a tape measure and your done.

Probably cheaper then getting those custom springs you ordered.

Also my LX sat lower in the rear when I had standard KING Lows with 255/40R17's which would be a taller tyre then you have, I think they mucked up your springs.

#11 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

Here's a pic from a few months back, this is with King LOWS off the shelf, I have since lowered it another 25mm in the rear.

Tyres are 255/40R17, tall buggers

Car is now complete and registered so I will post up more pics early next week when I get a chance.

Posted Image

Edited by LS1LX, 16 January 2007 - 08:00 PM.

#12 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

I have since lowered it another 25mm in the rear.

Out of curiosity, how did you do this?

I have new pedders lows on my LC, and if the rear doesn't settle, i'd like to lower it a bit more at the back.

#13 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

I have since lowered it another 25mm in the rear.

Out of curiosity, how did you do this?

I have new pedders lows on my LC, and if the rear doesn't settle, i'd like to lower it a bit more at the back.

Theres no weight in the rear of a torana, they wont settle any lower, unless you wait 15 years they might sag a little.

Pull them out and get a suspension shop to reset the height. They can go up or down whatever you like, normally around $50 to do, including a fresh squirt of paint.

#14 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

i like those wheels , :D what are they?

#15 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

Mine? They are INTRO's - SHOW WHEELS. 17x 7 and 17x8's

I got them because they were a line INTRO Wheels was going to drop, there were 5 sets of centres left in the USA (2 piece billets), custom built offset to suit. I was just sick of seeing FR Simmons on every torana, even though the Simmons look hot there getting boring and repetitive so I got these as I know there probably the only set in the country and pretty much no other torana is wearing them.

#16 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

Mine Chia?
They're speedy - holotype r's. 17x7 on the rear, 16x6's up front... i think.

How do suspension shops reset springs, is it just cutting, then checking them to make sure they're still safe?
I'm thinking now that if i get my springs reset to be another.. 3" lower? i'll measure it tomorrow and see.

I'd rather have heavy duty springs on the rear, instead of camira spring (too soft and will no doubt bottom out around the hills here), plus i want the car to corner well.

If i'm able to get them reset i'll purchase some lowered shocks so the springs won't fall out, sounds like a have a new plan of attack, let's hope this one works.

#17 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

Mine Chia?
They're speedy - holotype r's. 17x7 on the rear, 16x6's up front... i think.

How do suspension shops reset springs, is it just cutting, then checking them to make sure they're still safe?
I'm thinking now that if i get my springs reset to be another.. 3" lower? i'll measure it tomorrow and see.

I'd rather have heavy duty springs on the rear, instead of camira spring (too soft and will no doubt bottom out around the hills here), plus i want the car to corner well.

If i'm able to get them reset i'll purchase some lowered shocks so the springs won't fall out, sounds like a have a new plan of attack, let's hope this one works.

A suspension shop will/should never cut a spring, when they set a spring to raise height they stretch the spring, to lower height they compres the spring, you still have locators on top and bottom.

Are you running bump stops on the diff and do you have the insulators on the top of the springs, if so yes to both there is no way in the world your springs can fall out, especially if the car is lowered. Check you have installed everything correctly, can you rotate the springs when the car is on the ground? If so there is no load on the springs as something is bottoming out first.

#18 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

Are you running bump stops on the diff and do you have the insulators on the top of the springs, if so yes to both there is no way in the world your springs can fall out, especially if the car is lowered. Check you have installed everything correctly, can you rotate the springs when the car is on the ground? If so there is no load on the springs as something is bottoming out first.

any lowered spring will fall out (possibly) with a full length shock on full extended suspension travel

#19 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

Yep i have bump stops, was just about to post a picture but photobucket is down. I'm not sure i have insulators ontop of the springs, what are these and what do they do?
There is definately load on the springs (can't turn when on the ground) but when jacked up and the diff is hanging i can wobble them around.
I'm not sure i should get them to reset my springs for say, 3" lower, by compressing the spring this would mean there would be shitall travel left in them.

#20 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

I like your wheels lxsl76 but I am into the billet look at the moment and would like to know wht your wheels are LS1LX ?

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

He just told you!

#22 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:07 AM

Where are you lxsl76 ?
If you're in Melb, check out Brown's Springworks in Thomastown (North Subs)...They'll be re-setting my springs once my wheels are on the car...They simply measure from centre of wheel to lip of the guard (as previously stated) and make the spring to whatever height you're after, legally.

Will cost me $280 for all 4 springs, removed, reset and fitted.
Like new.

Cheers, good luck.

#23 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:15 AM

I like your wheels lxsl76 but I am into the billet look at the moment and would like to know wht your wheels are LS1LX ?

Last reply on page 1 I listed them.

#24 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:17 AM

lxsl the insulators are a rubber that sit on the top of the spring and act as a locator as well, they will raise your car another 1/2" if installed.

#25 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

A 215/40/17 has a diameter of approximately 604mm. The original CR70H13 tyre has a diameter of approximately 617mm. Therefore your 215/40/17 is actually smaller and should have 6mm more clearance between the guard and the tyre.

A 255/40/17 has a diameter of approximately 636mm.

It sounds like the springs you have are either installed incorrectly or manufactured incorrectly. I would recheck the springs are seated correctly at the top of the tower where the rubber insulator is located.

If the ride height is still wrong then I would return the springs and follow LS1LX advice. Get standard lowered springs, let them settle and work from there. Compressing the spring to reduce its height (reset to lower) will not affect its ability to travel to the bumpstop.

Edited by AndyCullen, 17 January 2007 - 10:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users