What is a 72 Bathurst XU-1?

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#151 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

^^^..I have seen the proof and retracted a previous statement in another thread...Listen to this man..he knows what he is talking about and done the research...Oh!..Did I mention he also has the evidence to back up his claims?
R

#152 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

Hi ya rory ,funny you mention the vin plates,when i last spoke to glenn (28C car)quote"it still has the adr and vin tag on it,"when i last spoke to harry f recently he said quote"the id plates went to the bone yard with the cut up 24c shell and that the quarter panel that had very untimely showed up on ebay after the passing of PB, was from the bond car".as far as what makes a bathurst 72 you could split hairs on this issue forever, i stand by my earlier opinion in this thread.cheers daz :spoton: :D

#153 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

you would be shocked at how much they salvaged from the wreck,IT /HF,and other former HDT crew have also verified this...daz

This being the case, would you class your car as a 72 bathurst car?

#154 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

^^^ A good question,we are talking about factory road cars in this thread,even though mine had been converted back to road trim, a financial decision at the time 74/75 as road cars were worth more money.my car being the first gmpa/prime hand built race car by HDT,doesnt really fit in the category of a factory" bathurst spec car ,it goes way beyond that "even though it still has all the factory mods plus many HDT mods. the same applies for all suviving lc/ lj Brock/Bond/Jane/Harvey/Johnson,ect ect cars ,all have suffered numerous drive train/ panel changes and modification upgrades,very little left of the original cars other than their shape,these cars are unique,and have a special place in our motor racing history, and not to forget the very special people that drove them,thats where they fit into the scheme of it all. :spoton: :D cheers daz

#155 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

Well said^ :spoton:
I agree, that can be the only practical approach to the whole "bathurst race car" thing.
A lot of XU-1's were raced, a lot also were modified to the limit of the regs inforced at the time, some even evolved with the change from series production to Group C.
Let's not loose sight of the fact that these cars were race cars not museum pieces, and as such, the uniquely modified ones should be revered for there modifications not looked upon as "unoriginal"....
On a personal note.....
Does anybody actually have a definate answer as to whose car mine originally is?????
I'm in the same boat, it is modified from standard "73 spec and has had a front end panel swap at some stage, there are other small race oriented mods all over it... I wonder whose car it was originally???
All help appreciated..... :D I am considering selling in the future, but if it turns out to be eligable for a group C log book, that will NEVER happen! The first step to securing that would be to find out whose car it was.. :D

Cheers Greg..

#156 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

On a personal note.....
Does anybody actually have a definate answer as to whose car mine originally is?????
I'm in the same boat, it is modified from standard "73 spec and has had a front end panel swap at some stage, there are other small race oriented mods all over it... I wonder whose car it was originally???
All help appreciated..... :D I am considering selling in the future, but if it turns out to be eligable for a group C log book, that will NEVER happen! The first step to securing that would be to find out whose car it was.. :D

Cheers Greg..

Gidday Greg
Dealer 895 is Zupps in Qld (This information was provided by Bazza and is on the list of dealers that gtrtorana is compiling.) Zupps was Dick Johnson,s major sponsor in 1973. Dick also raced a XU-1 at Bathurst in 1973 finishing a creditable 5th outright !

Might be barking up the wrong tree but i feel is a good starting point !

B.

#157 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

Posted Image

^^^^^^^Dick Johnson at the wheel in a non championship event at Lakeside late in 1973

Posted Image

^^^^^^^Dick Johnson chasing down Brocky in the South Pacific Touring Car series race at Surfers Paradise held on Sunday 10-2-1974. Brocky won, Dick came second.

In all dealer 895 (Zupps) sold 3 9/73 Bathurst specials with 2 coming back for there first service.

H290511 JP389978 BUILT 4-9-1973 SOLD 9/73 DEALER 895 B
H291030 JP387794 BUILT 15-11-1973 SOLD 1/74 DEALER 895 B
H291046 " " " DEALER 895 1

Am i close this time R

#158 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

This Question is to you Dazza.

Has your GMP&A shell got a 1972 chassis number (ALJ#####A) or a 1973 chassis number (BLJ#####A) ?

#159 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

firstly ,i dont know who you are, so what on earth makes you think i will give you any details on my car,who the hell do you think you are the torana police??,secondly i dont give a shit what you want to know ,my car is none of your buisness.end of discussion.....daz

#160 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

firstly ,i dont know who you are, so what on earth makes you think i will give you any details on my car,who the hell do you think you are the torana police??,secondly i dont give a shit what you want to know ,my car is none of your buisness.end of discussion.....daz

he seeks the truth... as I am sure many would be interested in, I certainly am... whats your problem ?? he's not asking for your name and adress...!

#161 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

i dont care what you or any body else wants ,the people that matter have the all the details of my car,IT ,HF, shannons, sa police ,you want to throw the details of your car about thats your buisness ,i will not respond beyond this post. so dont waste your time on a reply . cheers daz

Edited by LGN347/24C, 10 August 2007 - 06:31 PM.

#162 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

i dont care what you or any body else wants ,the people that matter have the all the details of my car,IT ,HF, shannons, sa police ,you want to throw the details of your car about thats your buisness . dont be telling what to do with my car,i will not respond beyond this post. so dont waste your time on a reply . cheers daz

no worries... would prefer to keep this thread free of shit anyway... ffs, grab a beer an chill out.. the world is not against you...! whether its ALJ or BLJ gives f*&k all away anyway..... :tease:

Has your GMP&A shell got a 1972 chassis number (ALJ#####A) or a 1973 chassis number (BLJ#####A) ?

guess we'll never know........

#163 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

I dont think he was after the full number, just weather it is ALJ or BLJ as this topic is about ALJ, 1972 only.

i dont care what you or any body else wants ,the people that matter have the all the details of my car,IT ,HF, shannons, sa police ,you want to throw the details of your car about thats your buisness ,i will not respond beyond this post. so dont waste your time on a reply . cheers daz

I don't think anyone was questioning your car or wanting it's exact numbers, it has great history and I would love to own it.

#164 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

apparently not responding anymore...but sending pms now..... from lgn347/...

between you and that fly guy you managed to stuff up a good thread,and if you want to keep shit off the forum i suggest you not reply to anything.cheers daz

*Image Removed by Tiny* Not Needed - Not helpful. Thanks.

#165 _LC-TORANA-1970_

_LC-TORANA-1970_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

*Coment Removed by Tiny* - Not helpful to the thread at all.

Thanks.

#166 _pete09_

_pete09_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Hi Fly.
We had discussed my XH cam and stock weight, balanced flywheel recently.
I wonder if perhaps some XU-1`s destined for export here to NZ or sold as road cars in Oz received the heavier flywheel to give them more driveability.
I am sure the XH cam and 19lb flywheeel combination are a real handful to drive in the city environs and not all these models were sold to race, indeed they are not a particularly flexible thing in town no matter what spec.
I have a "Wheels" magazine from the 1972 which you will have seen, which says depending on the production line which/or what flywheel/cam combinaton they will receive.
Perhaps others have the same (not 19lb) flywheel. It has stamped, numbered markers on the flywheeel boss and is numbered on the flywheel radius at the pressure plate fixings,naturally all the bolts are similarly numbered. I don`t know if this is genuine or not?. Perhaps over he years it got scored by wear and replaced. sometime.

I`m keen on your thoughts.
Kind Regards
Paul.

#167 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

G/Day Paul
Maybe the cast date on your flywheel will reveal the answer to your question. All my research on this flywheel was done on 1968-1974 cars. In the photos i,ve provided. this flywheel has a cast date of 22K1. Im now thinking 22K1 = 22-10-1981 commodore !!!!!!!!! I think a little more research into commodores may be needed. Part number 7420116 !!!!!!!

#168 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

guess we'll never know........

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bonnet Pins !

#169 _pete09_

_pete09_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

G,day again Fly.
I can`t believe I forgot to look at the flywheel cast number.
It is H282 and part number 7420116, as opposed to the LJ parts book which quotes 7420114 for both standard LJ 6 cylinder and pre 73 JP3 series engines.

Thanks for your interest.
Cheers
Paul.

#170 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

its the model before a 73 bathurst :spoton:

#171 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

G'day fly.My flywheel is 25H2,7420116,cheers.

#172 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

B,
was speaking to a kiwi guy last week, who owned a 9/72 xu1 when living in NZ. I take it from the other info in this thread that the 200 specials actually had to be SOLD not just built to satisfy cam requirements ? this being the case, and yes i know its all heresay but here it goes anyway....

this guy reckons that he owned a GTR, and while having it serviced was convinced to upgrade to a XU1 as they urgently needed to sell a bunch of them, and were offering all sorts of incentives.... so he did, and the one he bought had all three tags. Whereas another that his friend bought a few months later was missing the ADR tag..... so this wont help identify aussie bathrust cars, but perhaps the kiwi ones are the ones with all three tags on ? As in they had already built them and needed to flog em off quick to meet cams requirements... so maybe a lot of them ended up in NZ ? Any other time a NZ'er wanted to buy one, it was ordered and so didnt end up with its ADR tag on, as this was not required and therefore not added during production ?....food for thought..

It could be worthwhile chasing up what would probably be only a handful of dealers in NZ and trying to get their records for XU1's imported in this period.....

Pete09 does your car have all three tags?

#173 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hi Fly Again XU-1.
                          My car has a 9/72 ADR tag which has never been removed until now by me, it was still intact with sealed rivets but with 215999 scratched on the back. Naturally it matches the inner guard number.
In the intervening 34 years my car has had a replacement radiator support panel so has lost those two tags. I have the original NZ ownership papers and plates and can verify its history but in NZ in those days a VIN tag meant little and mine was registered using ALJ13015 as its number,however it should have been 82911JL215999 I believe.
As an aside, I owned an XU-1 in 1978 and was a real enthusiast and a qualified motor mechanic by trade. While I saw qiute a few examples at that time, I never ever once saw one on Sprintmasters. In fact you`d be surprised what  parts you couldn`t buy for them  from Holden even then.

Here you go Adam !!! Paul also referes to no XU-1,s being fitted with sprintmasters in NZ. Maybe not optional in NZ ????? Out of the 250 cars produced at the Adelaide plant in August & September of 1972, 50 were exported over seas, mainly to NZ id say.

#174 _pete09_

_pete09_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

My car does not have the 2 tags on the radiator support panel any more as it has been replaced at some stage in its life cos of a smack in the nose. It was first registered in Auckland, NZ in Jan `73 but is a 9/72 ADR tag car bound for export.

The car I owned in 1978 being 82911JL215344 was a Kiwi export car also and still has its correct three tags and I think yours did too Adam, when I saw it before it left Wanganui.

XU-1`s although rare then, were still on the roads in my town and I can think of about 5 here then. You may be surprised how many Holden dealers we have in NZ and in fact our local dealer gave his older lady p.a a new Strike Me Pink XU-1 to drive as a demonstrator in 1972 and it pissed a lot of young guys like me off at the time-jealous bastards we were!.

#175 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

Thanks to Paul (Pete09) i think its pretty safe to say that if you own an Adelaide built LJ XU-1 between 82911JL210096 to 82911JL216000 (250) or a Brisbane built LJ XU-1 between 82911JH243361 to 82911JH250907 (250) you own a 1972 Bathurst Special. (8th & 9th month 1972 plated cars)
Confirmation (Verification) of these vin numbers provided would be nice from other forum members (To nail the vin numbers) (Bazza).
I hope in the future many forum members can write up this list of cars with the vin numbers provided (500) from there vin discs. If nothing else you will have a list of all 1972 Bathurst Specials built. The list of Adelaide built cars may just give you an insight of what happened to the 200 odd XU-2 shells. Holden pulled the plug on its XU-2 programme on Friday the 30th of June 1972. (THE SUPER CAR SCARE)
Something very, very strange took place at the Adelaide plant following the SUPER CAR SCARE of 1972.

Im sure we have alot more to discuss yet !

Seek the truth !

Believe it or not !

B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users