Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Gday.

Rather than steal a thread, I thought i might start a new one here...

We're going to be installing a High-Stall into the monaro in the not too distant future.

I don't know what stall speed will be chosen, but i can safely say that when highway cruising etc the stall mill most probably NOT be locked up fully.

I don't really want to compromise the radiator's airflow by putting a big trans cooler in front of it, But i dont think i have alot of choice!

I dont want to take up the boot space by putting a fan/cooler in there, and under the car i think will be a problem too ( I'm concerned about piercing the cooler with debris).

What can others recommend? How have you done it and how did it go?

My cooling system consists of:

PWR Alloy Radiator
AU Thermofans - run of a toggle switch for the moment - Am TRYING to make a controller for them to work automatically.
160 degree thermostat.

Currently I'm running a Serck type oil cooler ( -10 cooler running -8 line to and from the trans) infront of the radiator and ive not noticed any problems. The engine runs at around 180 F and the fans keep the temp down no problem so far.

Cheers

#2 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Hey Tiny,

I recently did some shopping around looking for a decent trans cooler too.
I ended up getting a reasonable sized one which I think is doing the job, but had to mount it in front of the radiator, which as you said restricts airflow.
1 type I came across was a new B & M trans cooler which has its own built in fan which means you can mount it anywhere. I now wish I had got 1 of these so I could mount it away from the radiator.
Anyway here's a link for you to suss it out for yourself.

Hope this helps. :spoton:

B & M

#3 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

A mob called drivetech and also pwr make good coolers. i wouldn't use one with a fan on it. just mount infront of raditator or in gaurd with brakets aslong as its got good air flow cause high stalls call cook your trans

#4 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

I use a cylindrical style cooler I got from the Castlemaine Rod Shop.

Seems to cool well and is small and easy to mount.

A pic and description is on p44 (the third page) of this PDF...

http://www.rodshop.c...oryProducts.pdf

It has worked for me, I'm very happy with it and will get another 2 for my truck soon.

#5 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

This one is small enough to mount anywhere and looks strong- as too.
vpw

#6 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

I looked at those too Tuf73, but they told me they might not be adequate for a 3000rpm stally which I may be fitting in the future.

#7 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Maybe also look at gettin a realy good stall that has good lock-up, i steered away from dominator etc due to there slippin etc i went for a tce after talkin to a few guys with big hp engine's etc, ive got a 3200 stall and i cruise at 100 at 3000rpm roughly i can pretty much be at idle and the car will drive yet step on it and it goes straight to 3200 and goes this is all my opion but just thought i might suggest it save gettin somethin that may slip its head off and cook the oil
cheers

#8 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Trans cooler i have used is a genuine gmh which come off vr or vs commodore v8 the benefit of these trans coolers are the size for one and also they have thearded fittings so you dont have to use hose clamps.
I have fitted the trans cooler under the radiator on an angle facing the ground.

#9 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

^^^^ i have too but i put a 9" fan in front of mine works a treat.

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

I use a B&M super cooler, it's the largest one you can buy, its friggin big takes up half my radiator in size haha.

Engine runs fine, trans is fine even after 1 hours driving stall and gear changes are all the same. Stall is 3,600 Art Carr 9.5"

Try put the cooler at the front, as I have found the hottest spot for heat is in the trans tunnel, it just doesnt flow enough air thru there so dont mount the cooler to far back

#11 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Many thanks for the replies guys!

The B&M Jobbie was what i was looking at with the fan attached for a remote mount style... That could go under the front guard ( Beneath the battery tray) I was thinking to keep it away from the radiator.. Do you think it should clear the heat from a decent size stall?

We're planning on a TCE convertor as Mark ( Eze-10s) Has had only Great results from Phill's convertors, so having a "slippy" convertor shoudlnt be too much of a problem. We are going to give Phill all the information of the vehicle and let him make the reccomendation as to what's required to work the best for the situation. He wil be told it's a streeter, but also that it sees reasonable track use.

I might check out the PWR coolers ( only cause ive got a PWR radiator!) see what theyve got!

Struggler: That's an interesting cooler... I guess that could be mounted ( or two of them!?) below the radiator in the front valance panel behind the ducts and might do the job.... Do you think THEY would dissipate enough heat for my intended setup? Any idea what the airflow in that area would be like?

LS1LX: That may be my final option... Just whack a big sucker infront of the radiator and see howit goes from there. With the AU fans I might get away with it if i attend to sealing the fans to the radiator better, and even the cooler to the rdiator so that the air MUST be sucked through both.

Thanks for the info guys! Any more info is greatly appreciated!

#12 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

Hi Tiny, do you have temp sensor in the trans so you have an idea of how well your present coolers are coping with the existing trans, maybe you have quite good cooling already and only a small upgrade may be necessary or vice versa.
In front of the rad is going to get the best airflow, (other than a roof rack), and anything fitted elsewhere is going to need to be much bigger cooler and/or have considerable fan assistance to achieve the same cooling.
Do factor, Im sure you have, that not only does the airflow get restricted, but it is hotter air that then goes into the rad. Not all trans coolers are equal. Many are the tube and fin design, which consists of just one or two tubes that snake their way back and forth , they are very inefficient compared(in terms of heat released per unit area) to a parallel flow type cooler, which is basically same design as a normal radiator and should have many parallel tubes separated by a top and bottom tank. These of course are more expensive, but what you possibly should be looking at.
Perhaps you can get an idea of how well your engine will cool with more restriction by running a dummy restriction in front of it, tape a smaller car radiator in front of it or another cooler or put tape over every 2nd tube etc, it will give you some idea....though it is not adding to the actual heat load.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 20 January 2007 - 06:27 PM.

#13 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

I would leave your current cooler in place and if you are going to add another cooler put it in the return line...it removes more heat that way..and the 2nd cooler only needs to be small..certainly smaller than one that does all the cooling.

#14 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

We're planning on a TCE convertor as Mark ( Eze-10s) Has had only Great results from Phill's convertors, so having a "slippy" convertor shoudlnt be too much of a problem. We are going to give Phill all the information of the vehicle and let him make the reccomendation as to what's required to work the best for the situation. He wil be told it's a streeter, but also that it sees reasonable track use.

Struggler: That's an interesting cooler... I guess that could be mounted ( or two of them!?) below the radiator in the front valance panel behind the ducts and might do the job.... Do you think THEY would dissipate enough heat for my intended setup? Any idea what the airflow in that area would be like?

1. I am not sure Phil is still associated with TCE anymore.

2. I only use 1 of those coolers in the area you described. My stall is currently 4500 and I have no problems with trans heat (I do use a deep alloy sump on my PG though). Due to new pipes and losing my inner guards the cooler is now behind the cab, and still works fine !! Bear in mind it is 450mm long.

Works for me.

#15 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:24 PM

Thanks DA, I dont have a gauge in my trans unfortunately, One of the "to do" Things that have never been done. I like your idea of the dummy load to see how it reacts though!

Fast EH: Could be an interesting idea that.... Could go with a second cooler under teh guard.. leaving the first to do its job, backed up by the second.. Never really thought of team work like that!

Struggler: Thanks for that andrew, TO the best of my knowledge Phill is till in control of TCE, but i may be wrong! Mark from EZE-10s speaks to him when converters are needed. Unless something has changed that he ( we) aren't aware of! If Phill Isnt with TCE, what would be your recommendation?

4500 Stall with one cooler behind the valance panel... Do you drive her often on the roads? I'm a bit worried that it might not stand up to the task after a while! I respect your opinions and experiences though mate!

Thanks again for the advise guys! It's ALL greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

#16 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

Struggler: Thanks for that andrew, TO the best of my knowledge Phill is till in control of TCE, but i may be wrong! Mark from EZE-10s speaks to him when converters are needed. Unless something has changed that he ( we) aren't aware of! If Phill Isnt with TCE, what would be your recommendation?

4500 Stall with one cooler behind the valance panel... Do you drive her often on the roads? I'm a bit worried that it might not stand up to the task after a while! I respect your opinions and experiences though mate!

Its been a while since I used TCE, just got too expensive for me, and a change is as good as a holiday. I now use http://www.accelerat...om.au/index.htm

I actually have 2 converters for my own car, the Accelerator is a really tight lock up and very efficient (hard on tyres though) and a Dominello which is fairly loose but ET's a bit quicker (not as violent on the tyres), both MPH the same.

No I don't drive far on the street, but just feeling the hoses in and out of the cooler indicates it is very effective, more so than the much larger Drivetech unit I was using and used to swear by. Give the guys at Rod Shop a call and ask them about it. They love them !!!

#17 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thanks again andrew, I'll Definitely have a look into those coolers and that converter place! More options :)

Cheers!

#18 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

hey Tiny we sell those coolers at work,
so if need be we could meet & i will
show you what is available ok.

cheers Keith

#19 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

Which coolers do you mean keith? The long thin ones?

I'd definitely be interested to know what youve got mate! We'll have to organise to catch up!

Cheers.

#20 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Most of these coolers are 19mm thick

cheers Keith

#21 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

not as thick as some ( HAHAH Just had to be said!)...

19mm thick square coolers? I'll have to have a look at them and get some prices from ya mate! I also want to sus out the cooler that struggler mentioned too :)

Cheers!

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:05 PM

https://cache.gmh-to...oi/P1010033.jpg
https://cache.gmh-to...oi/P1010032.jpg

thats mine, bloody big permacool. the 12" thermo on the front side sits over it a bit, and theres a 9" thermo on the other side pulling though it. plus i also ran it through the standard trans cooler in the radiator, if it ever gives me a problem i'll be suprised.

#23 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

tct make good converters speak to john or narzi ( not sure how name is spelled). they used to work at dominator before they split up and some1 else took over.

i thought phill only ever helped at tce as he has his own buisnes

Repco are now selling pwr products and have a big range of performance gear now which is a surprise and good also cause it can be cheaper than performance joints. just something to check out and remember to ask for a performance cataloge

#24 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:28 AM

TCT is Accelerater. Yes, John is the man to speak to.

#25 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

THanks for the pics bomber! I'm going to have a good look at my options.. i'm definitely NOT pushing stuff through my radiator fins, and id rather keep the radiator clear.. but anythings an option at this stage!!

LJ CHEV: Thanks for the tip mate! I'll see what PWR stuff is available from repco and elsewhere! Will also keep accelerater in mind as struggler has suggested!

Thanks again andrew :)

Cheers guys! Still something that's a short time off, but yeah defintiely need to get it sorted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users