16 replies to this topic

#1 torana?

torana?

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

how much do you think it would cost for a auto electrician to rewire a lc?

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

Do you mean remove every wire from the car and fit new wiring and connectors?
Just guessing.......$1000-1200 including materials.
If its busy shop where they are busy fixing new cars then more. If it looks like sleepy hollow and you are willing to leave it there a while.....perhaps less.

#3 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:13 AM

The price will vary greatly. Some will want to charge you by the hour and others will give you a fixed quote for the job.
My LX V8 Hatch had the whole engine bay re-wired and hidden as well as battery in the boot re-location and a few other minior issues that required a tidy up.
All up it cost me $1200 and no car for 4weeks. Hope this gives you a ball park enven thou it's a different model.

#4 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

yeah I was quoted anywhere from $1000 to $1500 so ballpark is around $1250 I guess.

why not go with a Painless kit ?

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

In that instance wouldn't you do it youself ?
Theres not that much wiring to do is there ?

I personally hate wiring and was going to buy a painless kit and have it fitted to the LX

#6 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

to buy a painless kit is now around $700 now I think. so if you are going to get someone to install you might as well let them supply and install as it will probably be cheaper.

I Have decided to buy a kit and install myself as I am putting in elec windows,seats,central locking etc and dont mind doing elec work so I will sve up to $800.

I was quoted just over $1000 from 1 bloke and $1500 from another for a standard rewire . that included hiding wires in the bay but did not include windows, seats, alarm,and central locking.

#7 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

Oh

I get my wiring kits for abit less than that........ but thanks for the info

#8 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Sheit... I got told for a complete re-wire on the monaro i'd be looking at around 3 grand!! And even that wasnt for sure!

#9 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

I think rares sell painless wiring kits but I couldn't find one on their site for Holdens

Anyway ....... From my supplier approx 6 mths ago

Re those looms, the one we have here is from Cal Custom, and looks just like a Painless loom, all wired back to a Fuse box, relays and stuff all wired in.
Each wire is colour coded with the name of its purpose all the way along it.You basically lay everything out to its destination and make connnections at the ends.
The dash connections are usually the hardest as you really should have a multi connector plug so that the dash can be removed without individually unplugging each gauge.
As the dash will be printed circuit it already has a connector like this but you would probably have to take all the old wires out of the old connector and fit the new loom.

These are set up for American cars which have a red tailights for indicators, to do this they run the indicators throught the brake light switch, so thats about the only change, its more how you read the wiring diagram. The loom does fit s GM steering collum so thats a start.

$450 to you is probably cheaper than buying all the wires at Repco and this way you get all the correct colours and a decent fuse box all connected so most the hard work is done.

Photo is attached, digital cameras are great .

All the best

Posted Image

#10 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

Sheit... I got told for a complete re-wire on the monaro i'd be looking at around 3 grand!! And even that wasnt for sure!

3K for a rewire! :furious: Shit I would go and do a night course on auto electrical, wire my car and still be in front :tease:

#11 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:57 PM

Not sure at what stage you need to be at to warrant rewiring the whole car. Ive only noticed underbonnet perishing of a few wires on the UC and have just replaced them.
Dont know how many meters of wire are in a standard torrie, but cant imagine it would cost too much just for the wire. Havent bought wire for a while, but the last time I did, it was cheapest to buy trailer 10A trailer flex which gives 7 different colours should do most of the car. Of course you will possibly need some more colours and heavier duty wires for connections to higher power items.
The connectors do become expensive. You can order the utilux brass male and female spade connectors and bullet connectors and covers in bulk packets from electrical suppliers to make this a lot more economical..........I end up doing a lot of electrical work on cars, mods, stereo installs etc and its well worth buying bulk packets of these items.

#12 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

I'm guessing most people that rewire their whole car, do so with the intention that the car will therefore be electrically safe.
I will be doing mine because there has been that many little additions added here and there that are very dodgy I figure it will be safer and less headache to re do the lot.
On my sedan I only did the engine bay as the rest of the car was pretty good.

#13 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

The only electrical plugs and relays I use now are the sealed weatherpack connectors like what came standard on the Corvettes and other GM stuff - just wish I knew where to get them when I build my car - I still have a few more to change over as I hide my wiring. I get sick of the terminals backing out as you plug them in on the other types.

M@

#14 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

I have rewired several cars (Mini, Jag Holden) and new setups for boats over yrs
not difficult. did one of my Jags all in red wire for loom and then identified at install,
RTA inspector liked my anti theft wiring.
Am about to set up board to make GTR looms, have one good one from my cars and 2 mangled ones so once I source all connectors (genuine style) there could be some on Ebay.

Edited by limo, 27 January 2007 - 11:11 AM.

#15 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

^^^ that could be a very lucrative buisness.

#16 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

3K for a rewire! :furious: Shit I would go and do a night course on auto electrical, wire my car and still be in front :tease:

That's exactly what i'm thinking about doing!! ive got a "reasonable" grasp of electrics, So i think i could stumble my way though doing one! I just dont WANT to :P

The reason is the original wiring has been hacked and patched so many times it's really a concern! But... we'll get there eventually!

Cheers!

#17 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

No need for a course Tiny. Just buy a rewire kit like painless and fit it up. I'm sure if you get stuck people like D.A can help sought things out.
Thats what I intend to do anyway. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users