- - - - -

My LX Hatchback

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

Hello all, the last time I posted progress on my hatch was on the previous forums.
I finally bit the bullet and decided to upgrade the faithful 173 and trimatic!
I purchased (2nd hand) a V6 series I and kit to intall it in the hatch from a member on the previous forums
Today ultrabluea9x and I (mainly him!) installed the V6 into the car. I don't have a lot of 'quality' tools so we had to rely on an old scissors jack, a trolley jack that loses pressure, a couple of car stands and the use of an engine crane (kindly borrowed from pipjones of this forum (thanks Phil!).

After swapping over the crossmember and positioning it in with the jacks (not the easiest!) we moved onto the V6 with the T700 hanging off the back. After a lot of slight adjustments the new motor and trans went in reasonably trouble free.

I can't believe how small the V6 looks in the LX's engine bay - almost like a 4 cylinder! I'm sure it'll go better than the 173 though!

I need to run all the hoses, fabricate a gearbox crossmember and do the wiring etc still.

I'll post some pics up in the next few days as my digital camra is out of action at the minute. A big thankyou to ultrabluea9x for helping today - the job was out of my league and everyone else who has helped me so far - there's a fair few of you!

Sean :D

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Good to hear the operation was a success :)

I didn't know Pipjones was in Vic? Anyway, we'll all be waiting on those engine bay photos

#3 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

Sounding good Sean. Getting started is half the battle. On the down hill run already :clap: :clap:

#4 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Thanks guys, I still haven't got hold of a camera yet!

Today and yesterday I refitted the discs and stub axles (can't get those balljoints done up much before the shaft starts turning with the nut - is there a trick to that or just buy newies?),
routed a few hoses after checking the Vn's and VP's at the wreckers for references.

I welded up a gearbox crossmember today - all up took about 5 hrs, measuring, cutting more steel, welding... It almost sits in the perfect position - just need top move the gearbox a few mm to get the rubber mount lined up.

I found out the V6 I have is a series II so a few improvements and more power available over the series I...

Edited by Flamenco, 07 January 2006 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

Sounds like good news overall, keep us updated.

#6 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

With the balljoints try either putting more weight on the nut by lowering whatever is supporting it up orrrrr put more weight on it by jacking under the ball joint (if that makes sence). I had the same problem and i fixed it somehow like that im pritty sure... (memory sucks).

Damien

#7 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for that Damien, I was doing it with no shocks or wheels on so the extra tension/friction should make a difference... :D

#8 _LX CHAMOIS HATCH_

_LX CHAMOIS HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

excelent work! can't wait for the pics.....

cheers

#9 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

Good luck ;).

#10 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

i'd be keen to see some pics of the gearbox crossmember ... im putting a T700 in my LH behind my holden 6 and i have to make a custom crossmember for it, all ideas are welcomed :)

#11 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

When I can get my hands on a camera I'll take lots of pics! The gearbox x-member I just welded up using square tubular steel - rock solid and should easily be up to the task. :D

#12 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

I had a look at the wiring over the last few weeks ago but the only things I could work out were some of the sender plugs and the wires for the battery & alternator. Thanks to gtrboyy I got the correct placement of the senders that I had left...

The rest of the loom had me stumped so J-Rod kindly came over today and figured out the bulk of the wiring and fixed a few other wiring issues. Thanks J-Rod! :D
We cranked it over and all seems well, just need to run fuel lines and hook up the fuel pump near the tank & hopefully it should fire into life!

#13 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

Be interested in seeing pics as well and the sort of power she puts down.

#14 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

Finally got a few pics up! Excuse the engine bay - I'm still working in there on electrical and tidying everything up.
The radiator will be replaced with a bigger one and I'm yet to add a thermo fan...
Here's a pic of the mod I did to take up the slack in the engine belt by adding another idler pulley (below the standard one at the top).

Posted Image

And here's two of the engine in the car...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Looking Good!

Don't forget to convert it to a Commodore style cooling system, the VN/VP V6's run at a much higher operating temp than a lot of other engines, the usual temp is approx 96-99 degrees Celsius.

#16 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

Didn't know that! I'll need to get a few gauges - only had speedo and tacho before!
I'll get one of the little psi gauges so I know my fuel pressure too. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users