HQ Salisbury diff: Drum brakes>>Disc brakes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

It's probably been 18 years since I last contemplated this conversion, so I'm a bit rusty on the required parts. Obviously I need discs, calipers and pads in useable condition. Then there's the backing plate to bolt the calipers to. The correct brake lines would also be handy. So what else would be needed? Are the handbrake cables the same?

#2 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

G'day Chopper, I havn't actually swapped from drums to disc on the Saliburys but I am using those brakes on my LX and have certainly checked out plenty of drum brake ones over the years - a couple of things that spring to mind are:

1. The stud/bolt things that hold the axles and brake backing plates to the diff housing have to be about 10 to 12mm longer as the caliper mounting plate is thicker than the drum brake one - I would love to know where to buy new ones of these as I can't find them aftermarket. I had to custom make 2 of them which were missing when I got my diff housing done.

2. The handbrake cables are different - only the 2 rear ones, not the centre one.
If this is for your Torana - A9X cables are NLA so it is either custom to A9X spec or do as I did and move the brackets on the body a few inches to use the HZ statesman disc rear cables. You then need a custom front cable but they are very simple and cheap with no outter sheath ($20 from memory).

3. The wheel studs on the axles are longer as they now have to pass through the disc rotor as well.

4. The flex brake lines to the calipers are still available new.

Not sure about weather they use the same axles but I can't see why not.

M@

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:43 AM

Oh and there is a spacer ring (approx 5mm thick?) which goes between the axle seal and the retaining plate and sits inside the caliper mounting bracket when it is all together.

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

That would explain why I was told many, many years ago that the axle bearings would need replacing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users