7 replies to this topic

#1 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

hey guys.on my lx fitted with a 308,it has a standard v8 starter motor and the solenoid touches the chassis and im trying to get a rwc and this is something the mechanic picked up.how can i fix that?i checked a mates lx with the same starter and he has bout 2mm clearence.so what can be done for clearence?

cheers

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

It may pay to check the engine mounts. One or both may be stuffed.

#3 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

can you get starter motors that have solenoids that face a diff angle,such as pointing towards the rd,or on a angle enough to sit above the chassis,qas i said this other torana had bout 2mm, so obviously they didnt allow much clearence at all,or would a high torque starter(smaller size) be the way to go

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

the 2 big bolts that bolt the engine mount to the crossmember are in slotted holes. Loosen the bolts, shift the engine across and retighten the bolts.
RACV MAN

#5 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

As Chopper said, it is very common for them to touch the chassis, as with age they sag, replace both rubber mounts. Also make sure you are using the correct Torana engine adapters, not HQ ones,

Andrew 2.

#6 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

Just get a starter motor of a VN thats what i needed to clear my extractors, the solonoid is closer to the engine block well away from the chassis.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:25 AM

Been told a Commodore VN/VR reduction starter motor, the solenoid is in a different location. I was looking at other options more for keeping the solenoid away from the hot extractors, but will probably suit this application as well.

Looks like you got plenty of options anyway.

#8 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:30 AM

If you use one of these vn/vr starter motors you will need to get one long bolt the same as the long bolt that holds in the std starter motor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users