Camira Springs

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

G'day, a few people have recommended to me to use camira springs on the rear of my lx torana. I picked a set up from justholdens in Wodonga last night, to find that they don't fit. The outermost coil on the spring doesn't fit over the "cup" on my diff.

If i was to heat the springs with an oxy they'd lose their structural integrity, and would cause them to turn back to mild steel (instead of being spring steel) or so i've been told.

I'm looking to lower the car 2 1/2" from standard height so do you think the best option is to order some custom king springs?

Cheers,
Rhys.

#2 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:19 AM

I was sure there was another post on here where someone had used the Camaria springs and reckoned they were great.

#3 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:30 AM

Yep Rob, i think a few of the forum members have used them. Could the cup size on my Vl Turbo diff be larger than the one on an original banjo diff? This may be the problem...

#4 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

That wouldv'e been makka,

Makka's Camira springs

:spoton:

#5 _Rally hatch_

_Rally hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

They woult have used torana brackets on your diff..........
Maybe the camira springs you have are after market, and differ slightly in diameter from standard.... just guessing :blink:

#6 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:05 AM

Cheers guys, and makka...

I'm at work at the moment with not much to do so i'll get the hacksaw out and have a go cutting them. I have read the write up on cut springs, which was started by TOBES. But surely a little mod like this (trimming an inch off each end) wouldn't ruin the structure of the spring?

Cheers,
Rhys.

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

i doubt it would with a hacksaw, and you are not cutting much off at all, they really just need a trim i think...

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

Um 2.5" lower than standard ?

You like the diff centre banging on the floor ?

#9 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

dattoman, just gonna see how it feels, i'm guessing by using the camira springs it'll be atleast 2 1/2" lower, that's what it looks like when sitting next to the standard torana springs.
makka's installed the same springs, i'm awaiting a pm from him regarding the handling of the car with these springs in place...

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

im pretty sure makka worked out his is 4" lower or something stupid like that.... (have a look in Knoaths Project UC post) and Makka has no probs with things hitting that arent suppose to be...

#11 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

standard springs
Posted Image

camira springs
Posted Image

rides well except for my bumpstops hitting occasionally, which is because for some reason my diff has the bump stops on towers about twice as tall as on this diff
Posted Image
it might be something to do with A9X diffs, I dont know

#12 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

Makka,
your pinion angle must be shocking.
You need a set of adjustable lower trailing arms to pull the rears back toward the front (rotating them).

Grant..

#13 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

ive done it heaps of times (cut springs) we usually do it with an angle grinder then heat the spring with the oxy and bend it back to fit properly, never had a problem (and my bros commodore gets a massive workout.)

#14 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

Makka,
your pinion angle must be shocking.
You need a set of adjustable lower trailing arms to pull the rears back toward the front (rotating them).

Grant..

your on the ball! haha.
that will be getting done soon, so that I can move that diff forwards so that it centres in the wheelarch. I am just waiting for the old man to get his arse into gear!
I am making a fair few changes to the rear end of the car in the near future, I should probably have a chat to you and Matt about my ideas

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:38 PM

I am making a fair few changes to the rear end of the car in the near future,

So you are going to be puting those UC lights in?

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

^ HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH perfect oppurtunity Matty LOL

#17 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

I am making a fair few changes to the rear end of the car in the near future,

So you are going to be puting those UC lights in?

yeah, the whole 2 sets! and the drift wing

#18 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

I recon that height looks awsome makka! what you got in the front? Can you get 3 people in the back and not have it not bottom out? As i tried this with my old purple girl when it was lower and had people tooting me coz smoke was pooring off the guards (from rubbing this time :tease: )
Might consider this for the red rocket! (will be on the road soon)
Cheers

#19 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Looks like makka's seen the light(s)! :tease:

#20 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

Looks like makka's seen the light(s)! :tease:

cant bloody miss them!

lhMusl, it scrubs occasionally on 1 side but thats no failt of the springs, my diff sits a bit over to 1 side and the offset of the wheels doesnt help either.
I had a full carload and a full tank of juice and it was hitting on my extra tall bumpstops, it looked tough though, it was tucking rim on the back! the front are lowered pedders to the best of my knowledge, with HQ stubs which give 1 inch drop over standard torana ones

#21 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

Howdy,
springs are ready to be fitted tonight, will take photo's and post a reply once done.
Hey makka, just looking at your p plates, they seem to be victorian? do you ever have any problems with police pulling you over driving a v8 torana? i'm starting to get a bit worried as here in albury-wodonga they're cracking down on hoons, not that i'm a hoon, just all p platers are being targeted...
Cheers,
Rhys.

#22 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

Howdy,
springs are ready to be fitted tonight, will take photo's and post a reply once done.
Hey makka, just looking at your p plates, they seem to be victorian? do you ever have any problems with police pulling you over driving a v8 torana? i'm starting to get a bit worried as here in albury-wodonga they're cracking down on hoons, not that i'm a hoon, just all p platers are being targeted...
Cheers,
Rhys.

I have only been pulled over twice, neither time did they mention anything about the V8. I havnt been pulled over latley as I am trying to steer clear of the areas where they are likley to pull me over. the police are cracking down hard here in Bendigo, we have the first 2 cars to be permanatly impounded/sold so the cops are going crazy!

#23 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

i'm starting to get a bit worried as here in albury-wodonga they're cracking down on hoons, not that i'm a hoon, just all p platers are being targeted...
Cheers,
Rhys.

Hey, I Didn't know you were from Albury-Wodonga... I lived up there for about 5 years. How old are ya? Im 20, i went to Mitchell Secondary College In Wodonga...

haha small world

#24 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

I've heard from a few people that Bendigo is the "hoon capital" of victoria haha, bernie's auto in wodonga have suggested that if i do get pulled over i say it's a 253 with 5.0litre efi heads from a vp commodore (the fuel rail covers say 5000injected...) then i should be right. i hope.

Yep, born and bred local, kinda, i grew up originally in mt beauty (right near the vic snowfields) then parents moved me into wodonga area so i could go to school. Scots :shoot: yeah i know what you're gonna say... oh yeah, i'm 19

#25 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

Here we go, springs are in, sitting realllly low. I think it's maybe too low, once i lower the front the cats will be sitting like 50mm off the ground (currently 70mm)
Here's a pick, it's just how far i wanted to drop it.
Oh, what a bummer, photobucket is under maintenance, looks like i'll have to post them up tomorrow.
One problem, the right exhaust pipe is rubbing on the tyre, only just, bob's exhaust will hopefully come out and bend it for free. I'll call him tomorrow morning.
Cheers,
Rhys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users