Photo

Power Steering

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#351 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:18 AM

Hi Baillie, there is no problem fiting the system with a Holden V8, the torana High Energy sumps have the oil pick up at the rear so any winged sump will be to the rear. If your planing to use it for track work then the High Energy sump with internal flap gates would be the go. Any high volume pump known brand would be ok but for high RPM track work will see you soon with most of the oil in the top end so you will need to add a quick return to sump system. The alternator position will depend on what pump and belt system you intend on using.

And for the last question sorry mate I have the hatch and a LH sedan the LH is also getting a 304 EFI so I will let you know what setup when I am finished. I will most likely use the STD VT304 accesories drive setup

Lenny.

Thanks heaps Lenny, all the info is much appreciated : )

Baillie, run external drains from the lower rear of each rocker cover to drain excess oil that doesn't run down through the engine.

These will not foul on the power steering setup Posted Image

Grant..

Yeh, cheers mate : )

Probably best to run the lines to a catch can and breather setup first, and then drain to the sump from that.

A (mostly) stock EFI 304 is probably the best way to get it all running again. They have plently of torque to spin the bags, and together with a strong driveline and decent sump, oil cooler, radiator, etc. it should hang together reasonably well.

Came close to getting a TKO 600 from another forum member, but because i wasted time being a keyboard warrior i missed it by a few minutes , lol

Still picked up a lot of useful info tho : )

#352 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

For those interested we now have in stock a limited number of variable ratio power steering kits for LH,LX,UC torana's.
The kit has now been successfully fitted and engineered to a UC torana with a Gen 3 engine with sump and pickup mods needed,
thanks to Dirtbag(forum member) well done mate good job.

axistr.

#353 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

axistr, how much are the LX torana kits for a red 308 and trimatic trans?

#354 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

G'day Trentm, all the info is on page 14.

axistr

#355 _uctorry_

_uctorry_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hi Axistr Just wondering what else u did or changed in your front end, in regards to orginal stub axles and location on top control arm.did you lower it and does this affect the proformance of yor rack.Just starting to rebuild my hatch for the third time and well be getting a rack off you in due cousre.Just dont want to do anything that will affect the proformance of it thanks Stuart

#356 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

G'day uctorry, my hatch is using standard LX front end, lowered 1"1/4 HD springs, Koni shocks with UC steering arms, but will work fine with LX steering arms also, if you use HQ stubs I would recomend using drop steering arms as per A9X/Harrop. If you use incorrect mixed parts with the front end you can cause bump steer with HQ stubs. It is also recomended you keep the steering rack tie rods bars as level as posible at ride height. The power steering racks are set in the same centre line within in a couple of mm as the original manual rack.

Hope this helps Stuart.

Lenny.

#357 _uctorry_

_uctorry_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

G'day uctorry, my hatch is using standard LX front end, lowered 1"1/4 HD springs, Koni shocks with UC steering arms, but will work fine with LX steering arms also, if you use HQ stubs I would recomend using drop steering arms as per A9X/Harrop. If you use incorrect mixed parts with the front end you can cause bump steer with HQ stubs. It is also recomended you keep the steering rack tie rods bars as level as posible at ride height. The power steering racks are set in the same centre line within in a couple of mm as the original manual rack.

Hope this helps Stuart.

Lenny.

Hi Axistr thanks for the infor so far I am using a uc front end and most likely sticking to the uc front stub axles.Not sure yet if i will drop the top arms down the inch they all seem to go on about. I have read your development or the power steering rack for the torries.You are a very talented lad.
Thanks again
Stuart

#358 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hey axistr, so my front end (LX Sedan) with UC UCA and HX Tonner steering arm/stub sounds as though it would be a perfect candidate. Excellent. Will send you a PM sometime in the near future to purchase the kit from you.

Top work mate.

#359 _yellalx_

_yellalx_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

hi im currently doin g the power conversion into my lx im using the cortina rack. what tie rods do people usually use?

#360 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

hi im currently doin g the power conversion into my lx im using the cortina rack. what tie rods do people usually use?

All the Cortina setups I have seen use the Cortina tie rods and ream the steering arms out to fit the taper on the tie rod ends.

#361 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

I have a Cortina setup that uses standard steering arms. I will see if I can find a part number.

#362 _yellalx_

_yellalx_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

cool thanks guys for the info

#363 _yellalx_

_yellalx_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

recieved my rack today had it recoed by prestige power steering in melb, fantastic job at a good price and a very quick turn around. will fit it to car and post up some pics soon

#364 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

#365 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

I would like to thank Lenny for the kit. Quality workmanship and service.

I thought that I would put some photo's of how I ran all my lines and cooler for it.

It was a little time consuming but in the end I an Very happy with it.
I had to put some 5mm shims under the rack mounting to the cross member as it was fouling and wouldn't bolt up flush. As Lenny has said, these cars weren't built to precise measurements. lots of little mods and brackets were made to make it look a little more factory. I had to do some extractor mods too which was expected as I had to put my flexible coupling back on.

the Torry certainly doesn't feel like a muscle car any more. With power steering, hydro clutch and Toyota gearbox. I kind of miss the muscle feeling.

My only problem I have at the moment is I keep throwing the power steering belt off when I give it a rev. I will start another thread to try and figure out that problem.

Enjoy.

Evan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Evan, 07 April 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#366 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

G'day Evan good work, Just check you power steering pump alignment as I have installed two pumps & brackets with VN heads and both we had to space the bracket further forward to get them to align up. Also check to make sure that the pulley's don't have excessive runout.

Hope this helps.
Lenny

#367 _UC225_

_UC225_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

Hi Lenny, Just wondering what the wait is for the kits these days? (and contact details to make an order)
and also (begin new to Torana's) will this kit fit straight up to a UC?
Many thanks
M@

#368 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:36 AM

I just recently took delivery of one of lenny's kits and it bolted directly onto the UC crossmember in my hatch without any dramas. Couldn't be happier with it.

Dave

#369 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hi UC225, we have run out of stock last week but hope to have more in about 2-4 weeks. The boys with Cobras kit cars have been taking a few and left me a bit short.

No drama's fitting it to a UC what engine are you running.?

Contacts

Axis Truck Repairs P/L
10 Hannabus Place Mulgrave N.S.W 2756
Ph (02)45778700
Fax (02)45777830
E-mail axis2 -at- people.net.au (replace -at- with @ or just click)

Thank's for the feed back Dave, we don't get much feed back which I supose is a good thing as everyone must not have any problems with fitting the kit. I hope the instructions were not confusing for you as sometimes it hard to relay all the information accross with out writing a book.

Thanks Lenny

#370 _yellalx_

_yellalx_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

hey there got my power rack mounted heres some pics.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww294/yellalx/?action=view&current=IMG_0641.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs729.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww294%2Fyellalx%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_0647.jpg
enjoy

#371 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

Got my kit today too, looks awesome cant wait to fit it and try it out. Its going in a UC with a VP 5lt so it should be a straightforward job B)

#372 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

Is it just me or is your intermediate shaft (one between the flex coupling and uni joint) longer then standard? was this for more exhaust clearance? or is it part of the Power steering kit?

Or is it just because my steering column been cut off when I did the lower bearing mod so it just looks different

Edited by Viper, 12 September 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#373 _yellalx_

_yellalx_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

it is a bit longer my brother is a fitter and turner so he turned it up for me as there was no kit i accumulated the parts and my brother made it all go together

#374 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi Guys, I have three power steering rack kits finished and ready to go, and two more near compleation. When these five kits are sold I can not garantee I will do any more. I have sold my truck repair buisness and due to the sale they will no longer be sold through Axis Truck Repairs. When the new owners took over they had no interest in doing them as they just take so much labour to produce and I have limited time to do them. I have retained all the equipment and jigs to do them just in case. I was suposed to go into semi retirement but it's just not happening, so to free up more time for my own projects I have decided to stop doing the racks for the foreseeable future.

Many Thanks Lenny.

#375 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Bugger, I haven't saved up my cash yet... :cry:

If you do completely stop making them is there any chance that you may consider releasing information at some stage in future (with the appropriate caveats of course)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users