enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hmm, might have to come round sometime and have a looksee!!

Grant..

#127 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

So you have to cut and weld the crossmember to make the WRX rack fit?

#128 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

Chopper,

So far this is all I have had to chop out of the subframe. And I will need to weld something back in there. I want to run the PS lines throught the subframe so I will leave a hole there for them to go through but I am going to see how it fits with the PS lines running externally too.

I didn't need to get stuck into the drivers side engine mount the way I did, I just did that to get it out of the way whilst I was playing around with rack position.

Posted Image

Enders, You can come around and have a look if you want, let me know when you want to comeover and I will PM you my address - or ring me if you still have my mobile no - it's still the same.

M@

#129 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

I haven't updated for a while as I have been very busy with work almost every night for the last 2 weeks and will be for about 2 or 3 more weeks but I have finally spent the afternoon doing my first set of measurements for how the WRX rack performs on an otherwise stock UC Torana front end.

The Rack is mounted at the same vertical height as the Torana one originally was and is approx 6mm further forwards. To my pleasant surprise the bump steer curve has come out almost identical to the bumpsteer you get with the A9X arms on the HQ stubs in bump travel and pretty much a vertical line in rebound travel so I would go as far as to say it looks to have a nicer bumpsteer curve than the A9X setup.

I currently run the A9X setup on my LX and it feels good for lack of bumpsteer and this is supported by the measurements I have plotted for that setup so I am pretty happy that the WRX rack looks to be better again.

The Ackerman angles of the front wheels are ever so slightly different to the a9X and UC setups (I expected this since the rack is 6mm forwards.) I can do a little grinding on the alloy bit of the wrx rack and move it at least 3mm further back so it will be so close to std UC that I won't even be able to measure the difference with my instruments.

Interestingly the WRX rack has an additional 5 to 6mm per side you can turn before it runs out of travel as the UC steering arms hit the bumpstops on the lower control arms first.
I reckon I will modify the steering arms slightly to improve the steering lock. I did a bit of a measurement and I can get about another 3 degrees steering lock if I do this.

At the moment it is 2.6 turns lock to lock - nice :D but will be about 2.75 turns lock to lock when I mod the steering stops to turn a little further.

The std WRX tie rods are about 10 to 15mm too long so I had to go with no lock nuts to do the test fit and I could just line the front wheels up straight but the earlier subaru tie rods are about 10mm shorter and are threaded for an extra 20mm or so, so they will be perfect for the job without even being trimmed.
The Magna tie rod ends are spot on and do not go close to binding so all looks good to me.

If I had a Holden V8 in my LX , I would be going with this exact setup but unfortunately it doesn't clear the sump on my engine so I am now going to have to ream out the A9X steering arms I have and mount the rack about 10 to 12mm lower to look for another suitable setup to go with my engine.

I'll post some of my measurements and pics when I get some free time.

#130 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

What I found with my LX, was that when I got close to full lock, it started to understeer at parking speeds. So for somebody with a close to stock spec front end, there may be no advantage with the extra steering lock. However, when I used a more aggressive front end setting and better tyres, the understeer was reduced. The fact that you may be able to get more steering lock is good, but it may not actually reduce the turning circle of some vehicles. This info is more for the benefit of those with less front end knowledge than Matt or myself. With altered alignment settings, springs, shocks and swaybar rates and a quality wheel/tyre package, the extra lock could well be used to it's full advantage.

#131 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:58 PM

Imagine trying to steer this one

Hotrod on ebay last week

Posted Image

#132 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

Mat,
did you need a car to dummy fit it to?

Grant..

#133 hatchssv8

hatchssv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:31 PM

same topic but different means.

Has anybody tried/investigated fitting these types of electric power assited steering.

http://www.motorspor...steering_system

Just a thought at this stage. I have no idea of cost to buy nor to fit and make it work in a LX. I wonder if there is enough real estate in an LX to accomodate this kind of unit. Not sure if these coloumns have a collapsble shaft either. Too many questions.....brain freeze..

Max

#134 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

Bump

#135 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:45 AM

yer, whats the go with that electric power steering?
anyone herd of it or used it ?

Evan

#136 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

heya guys
i e mailed motors sport electrics about their electronic power steering unit and this is the response i got.

"SORRY EVAN THIS IS A RACE CAR ONLY UNIT AND IS NOT ADR APPROVED , COST IS AROUND , $7000.00 AS I SAID IT IS REALLY AIMED AT HIGH END RACING CARS.
CHEERS."

doesnt look like it is a option. dam
Evan

#137 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

BUMP

#138 _Christian_O_

_Christian_O_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

M@

I have been reading your progress with interest. I am thinking of doing the same thing, lucky for me that the old man is a subaru mechanic and he had promised to give me a hand. I have a rack, and I am going to buy a subframe to fit it to before I install it in my car. How is it going?, has the rack been fitted to your car, is it working? Another thing, is is necessary to cut into the subframe??

Good luck

Chilly.

#139 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

I noticed on e-bay last night there was a slr for sale stating it had power steering fitted, but had no photo's of it the add stated that photo's of the car could be view on the n.s.w torana web site, only one pic showed the top of the p/steer resivoir I wii try and e-mail him for more details.

Len.

#140 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Cristian_O - I have been on holidays so I have only just seen your question.

I have done heaps more on my power steering setup but it is a fair way from being fitted to the car because I am not just doing steering, I am also doing tubular control arms, improving the suspension geometry and a big brake upgrade on this front end before it goes in the car.

To mount the WRX rack where the original Torana one goes needs a bit cut out of the front subframe to clear the servo valve but that is all. I have actually worked out a way to mount the rack another 18mm forward and still get all the same bumpsteer and ackerman angles it does reduce the directness of the steering from 15.5:1 to 17:1 which is still pretty good - I don't know if this will stop you having to notch the subframe though but it would make the notch smaller.

You need to use a pair of short HZ power steering arms and then get some Pinto bumpsteer adjusters and machine the steering arms to suit and then use a sperical rod end rather than a normal tie rod end.
This is how I am doing my setup now but I am still mounting the rack back as far as I can and 20mm lower and using LH steering arms for a super quick steer.
I'll post some pics a bit later of how I am doing things.

M@

#141 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

Axistr,

If thet's the yellow one, there were quite a number of pics of this car shown on the Toranafest galleries a few weeks back including plenty from underneath.

I had a pretty good look at the pics but they were not taken from an angle which you could tell how far back the rack was mounted or how much the subframe was modified to make it fit.

It was definately a Cortina rack and pinion though.

M@

#142 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hi Matt, I have got hold of a 2002 subaru outback p/s rack and I'am going to try and do some testing my self, how are you obtaining the rack ratios I don't now if they are any differance to the wrx racks.

#143 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

Matt, how is this progressing?

#144 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:07 AM

check his car domain page chopper... good reading there

#145 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

I see that it has been updated since the last time I looked, but there still seems a lot more work to be done yet.

#146 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

chopper I have a full set of flairs off an LX Hatch and the rear bobtail and front spoiler.

#147 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

hello mat. those bushes your using in the front end. can you tell me what there from and where you got them please? im very keen to look into them. have you sourced the lower arm bushes yet?

#148 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

Most of the info is on page 2 of his cardomain link.

#149 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

G'day Chopper - still heaps to go with my whole front suspension.

I have tons of parts here so I am the hold up - just seems every weekend I have family visiting or places to go and I have not been getting time to get stuck into it very much - just a few hours here and there. That and starting a new job just before x-mas has left me pretty stuffed after work during the week.
Very frustrating really because I have most of it worked out in my head - in theory anyway if it all works.

Saying all that, if I put in a few weeks of hard yakka I would probably be at the point fairly soon where I need my new brakes and coilover shocks to go any further and I don't have the cash lying around for either of those at the moment.

OzyOzyOzy,

Do you mean the Del-a-lum bushes? If so the top ones are from these guys.

http://www.globalwes.....d shafts..htm

The kit number is 1012 and they suit the 64 to 72 Chevelles.
You will need to make custom cross shafts to make them work on the Torana - they are so close to fitting the sock cross shafts but unfortunately there is just not quite enough thread on them. They will suit the stock upper control arms still though.

I never managed to track down any del-a-lum bushes which will press straight into the stock lower control arms although I didn't look as hard as I could have. Since I am making custom lower arms anyway I just got some lowers to suit the Chevelles and will make my custom arms to suit. They would not actually be that hard to make up a set if you are any good at machining - I just don't have access to a good enough lathe so I bought some which I can easily make do with.

M@

#150 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

great thanks for the info. i was going to look into making some but as you know time is always an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users