Bare Metal - Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Just spent hours sanding my nose cone down on the LH to bare metal & have some questions you may be able to help me with:

Is it okay to do front of nose cone back to bare metal then etch prime, followed by primer, but leave the back & only take gloss of with maybe a 320 wet & dry then use primer? In other words do not strip to bare metal on backside.

If I am an unable to paint bare metal side of nose cone tomorrow should the bare metal be okay for a couple of days in dry storage area?

Before I paint bare metal should I use a metal conditioner or simply use something like a Septone wax & grease remover then etch prime?

thanks

Garry

#2 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

First go to Woolworths or Coles whatever and buy a box of disposable NITRILE gloves, which are solvent resistant

Is it okay to do front of nose cone back to bare metal then etch prime, followed by primer, but leave the back & only take gloss of with maybe a 320 wet & dry then use primer? In other words do not strip to bare metal on backside.

This will be fine, I'd etch prime the bare metalled areas first then rub the back part either wet or dry whichever you prefer then Primer the whole lot.

If I am an unable to paint bare metal side of nose cone tomorrow should the bare metal be okay for a couple of days in dry storage area?

Provided the humidity isnt to high this will be ok but i'd give the entire bare metal area another sand with 240-400 dry before your etch prime it and only handle it with your nitrile gloves on.

Before I paint bare metal should I use a metal conditioner or simply use something like a Septone wax & grease remover then etch prime?

As long as you've given it a good rub before hand all you need is a good clean with Prepsol (wax & grease remover) and then prime it.

Wearing gloves while handling the bare metal will reduce the chance of contaminants causing rust, there's never any guarantees but you should be fine with it.

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

q1. yes you may.

q2. should be right, depends on area. a good idea is to get some cheep shit from supercheep and give it a quick flick.

q3. thinners. wax and grease remover is best to use over undercoat, but thinners is better for bare metal or bog. simply because wax and greese remover is exentialy an oil, if you don't get it all off it makes fisheyes itself. thinners evaporates out of sanding marks and the little holes in bog so no wakkas.

also, etch prime aint essential, it's only needed if your painting over a non ferrous metal like stainless or alloy. just your normal primer will be fine over the car metal.

catch ya.

Edited by lc boi, 06 January 2006 - 07:35 PM.

#4 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

Thanks again guys, once I finish nose cone I will post some pictures. Providing it dont look like crap...LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users