Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

heya guys!
can somone please straight out for me what are the rules when painting over acrylic paint?
everyone i talk to has a different opinion about it !
some say you cant , some say you can, some say you have to go to bare metal.
ive started going to bare metal but it would make my life a lot easier if i dodnt have to.
sorry about the headding , im disleksic sum times.

thanks guys
Evan.

Edited by Evan, 03 February 2007 - 03:28 PM.

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

yes you can, but i would not advise it because
A; you had to ask.
B; depends on how long its been painted.

if the top coat is totally dry, i mean like years old they you may well get away with it, following the manufactures application guidelines, but it will fry acryllic if it is fresh, remember top coat alone can take 21 days just to fully dry (this process is actually evaporating the thinners and the paint may still be soft) and not concitering any undercoats.

sometimes i have found the edges are affected ie where bare metal meets acryllic.

if indoubt test a small spot about hand size first where you can easily sand back and reprep or

take the whole thing back to bare metal.

it will fry acryllic.

Edited by ALX76, 03 February 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#3 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

heya alx76, thanks for the heads up. , the paint on it is about 4 years old. thje front nose cone and guard is about 1` year old. is that dry enough to paint over it.
i was told to just scuff it up with 250 grade and prime and paint and it will be fine.
this would make my life easier. but i dont want it flaking up or looking shit.
Evan.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

its not a problem that will raise its ugly head in 6 months time (thats usually poor prep anyway) 2K drys at tops 24hr so you will virtually see at the time of painting if you are going to have a problem or not.
12 month old paint might be a bit fresh, depends on things like it it was just a flow coat ( one or two coats) might be dry. if it is spray putty and undercoat with top coat it be a bit freah still.
see where im coming from.

all at your own risk of course.

250 is a little course unless you plan on hammering on hi fil.

remember to follow the menufacrures guidelines for their product.

i find a around 400 dry paper for pre undercoat and min 800 wet pre top coat.

Edited by ALX76, 03 February 2007 - 06:07 PM.

#5 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

hey alx76, i understand now what you mean about it being totally dry!
ive decided to just go bare metal on all panels. when i was cutting back the panels sprayed about 1 year ago it did not turn into dust like the rest, it kinda got hot and started melting and sticky.
its pretty easy to cut them all back to bare, 4 hours got all the nose cone, 2 front guards and the one just below the windscreen.
just over an hour for each with breaks as it was 40 degreee's today and i was outside.

next are doors and hatch, and bonnet and then the rest.
it was at the pannel shop getting done , but the usual story with them loosing interest and not doing it made me take it back. the first time i ever get sumthing dont by a shop i get pineappled arround.

thats my winge over. ill keep ya updated with how it goes and what lies under the paint.

Evan,

Edited by Evan, 03 February 2007 - 10:35 PM.

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

Go eazy if you find bog as it is sometime hard to get right again if you dig out a big repair unless you have a good panel man. iIf its repaired right first time then leave it.
Good luck with the panels and remember if you dont get it right try try again, i have spent over 100hrs (fixing old repairs) getting one panel just right. Involves lots of hi-fil guide coat/blocking back etc etc but you learn from your mistakes.
Cheers.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

I'd say no, as acrylic never 100% dries, where as 2 pack fully cures and is inert. So you can acrylic over 2 pack, but not vice versa. Not 100% sure though, as I only ever do acrylic. Can't acrylic over enamel, as the agressive acrylic thinners will fry it up in a matter of seconds. But you only usually find enamel where people have done nasty aerosol touch ups. If you use aerosols, make sure it actually says acrylic on the label, if not, it's going to be some nasty enamel.

PM Pete on here who commonly posts in Paint & Panel, he'd have the good oil, I believe he is a painter, either currently or in a previous life.

There is also a good Gregory's book on Spray Painting which is very comprehensive, and also has a companion book on panel work, which is also very comprehensive.

Acrylic is very unforgiving on poor preparation, and if any scratches whatsoever, will sink back into the sanding grooves over time (2-3 months). To get around this I go all the way to 1000 grade wet & dry on the primer coat.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 February 2007 - 11:33 PM.

#8 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

if you have started bare metalling the car then its probably best to continue on :D
yes you can paint 2pak over acrylic, as ^^^^^^ have said if the acrylic is old you shouldn't have any probs. as yours is partial fresh acrylic I'd either bare metal the rest or you can get "isolators" that will allow you to paint over the acrylic, get some advise from an Automotive paint supplier (a real one , not the dickhead at autobarn etc thats sell pressure packs :tease: ) as to what to use.

#9 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hi all,
Agree that it is possible to paint 2K over acrylic,
but generally not advisable.
You can get problems like sink back, shrinkage, frying etc.

like said above, acrylic never really sets,
best example, (don't do this to anything you are not going to repaint)
get a rag,
put thinners or reducer on it,
and rub it on an acrylic painted surface,
the paint will become tacky,
if you apply enough thinners the paint will rub off.
2k on the other hand is a 2 part chemical reaction,
which sets hard, and does not react to solvents.

like MYLJ said, can use a isolator,
but the best way to get a great paint job that will not have any issue in the future, is bare metal it.

Cheers
Chris.

#10 _[Azer]_

_[Azer]_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

as an apprentice spraypainter ive learnt that if u spray over acrylic it will cause crows feet/cracks as acrylic doesnt dry as hard as 2pak. in heat acrylic becomes soft, if it has a hard layer of 2pak ontop while the acrylic is soft underneath the 2pak will crack. id advise you go back to bare metal prime and paint

Edited by [Azer], 05 February 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#11 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

Thats what ahppened to my datto
The paint is cracked and flaking off
So its off to the blasters with that car when the time comes (project #8)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users