Photo

Difference between LX RTS & UC RTS ???

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#101 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

I was under the impression that H series were 7 deg. and LH-UC are 9 deg. I had checked them with the parts book and they matched. the numbers are the same to some H series. Found that out 15 years ago at a holden dealer. They had a few pairs of stubs and a9X steering arms :cry: I've checked with the owner and he says that there is a 9 stamped into only one of the stubs

#102 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:11 PM

Your right Toranas are different to H series
But A9X and L34 are not your average Toranas and they got the H series KPI

#103 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

Stub axle is the same A9X to HZ, same part number from memory. I'll have a look for sure.

So RED my HX/HZ stubs are same number as A9X?
R

#104 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

Posted Image

#105 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

These are photos sent by the guy selling them. Anyone know what these cast marks mean? I'm assuming HD is for Heavy duty and possibly 9 represents 9 deg. KPI? I've seen photos of other stubs with similar casting marks but not identical. This is probably due to tooling wear? :blink: Posted Image

#106 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

9 IS STAMPED ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF "BV"- i COULDN'T EDIT THE ABOVE PHOTO PROPERLY AS THE BLOKE SENT IT THAT WAY.

#107 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

Welby,

The 9943696 is the RH Stub as used in PO A9X. 95 is the LH Stub.

Those numbers are as listed in the literature I have. Can someone confirm if the same numbers are used in HQ/Z

Where is the 9 cast?

Stub axles

Comparo of the LX and A9X stub axles - front. A9X is the black one. Note how much higher the caliper mounting hole is on the A9X one, which shows how much higher the axle is located on the stub.
user posted image

Comparo of the LX and A9X stub axles - rear. The holes located near the bottom are the centre points of the axle axes. Not also clear in these pics, but obvious when you pick them up and compare them is how much heavier and thicker the A9X (and HQ) stub axles are, when compared to the LH/LX ones. I'm pretty sure that the A9X ones are just about identical to the HQ ones, except they've been heat treated for extra durability. HX one tonnner stub axle part numbers are identical to A9X part numbers. HQ part numbers are different.
user posted image

Oh well, off to a Club meeting, then might try to find some time to take shots of an RTS front end. Used to have one somehwere........

Cheers,

Dangerous.

#108 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

Concept i will have a close look at mine tomorrow.
Unfortunately they are still in the holden protective coating in the original boxes.
They feel like they are coated in honey!
I'll clean them up in something and see what can be seen.

Welby

#109 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

I'M HEARING YOU. I HAD A LOOK AT THE STUBS A WEEK AGO. THE WAX TOOK AGES TO WASH OFF.

#110 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

Son of a bitch! I have A9X stubs!..Just pulled off a disc..because I have reversed them for the setup, 9943696 is on the LH side and 9943695 is on the right side! BONUS!!!
R

#111 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:42 PM

ConceptSS,
The only way I know to measure which stub is a 7 degree KPI and which is a 9 degree is to put a torana stub on my test rig and note the camber setting, then swap over to the other stub and recheck the camber - if you have 2 degrees more negative camber then you have swapped to a 7 degree stub - the difference is too subtle to measure any other way that I know of.

The HX stubs I have here came out of a statesman and look exactly the same as the pics of those A9X ones except they don't have any of the same numbers cast into them, just the word holden and a few numbers cast in them but in different spots to the A9X and they don;t have the part numbers on them either.
Torana are definately 9 degree KPI and the H series 7.
All the A9X guys on here tell me the A9X is also 7 degree KPI but I don't have any to measure so I take their word (and the fact they share part numbers with the 1 tonner).

You may well run into trouble trying to use 7 degree stubs getting your alignment right - depends how low your car is and how much camber you want to run. I currently use HZ stubs on my LX and I am running 0.5 neg camber, 2.8 positive castor - I can just achieve those settings with not too much to play with. My front springs are std height so the front is lowered just the 30mm difference in the stub itself. If I went more than about 10mm lower in the spring, I would have no choice but to run another 0.25 or 0.5 degree negative camber which is what the A9X's ran from memory.

If you can get your front end aligned correctly for how you want, then all things being equal, I would choose a 7 degree stub as you don't lose as much neg camber as your front wheels turn. The difference is subtle and a little bit more positive castor would offset the effect but then you get heavier steering.

Since I plan to use tubular control arms and I can make them long enough to set my camber and castor where I want it, I have just ordered a set of CRS 2" drop HR stubs for my final setup which uses the 7 degree KPI.

M@

P.S. Where are you located?

Edited by Toranamat69, 11 February 2007 - 11:42 PM.

#112 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

Melbourne

#113 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

Here is an interesting quote from FastLane forum,

HJ stayed the same as HQ.
HX changed to two different part numbers for each of normal and tonner. There is a note that says that different stubs are needed for cast iron and cast iron/alloy calipers:

2820996/7 - normal with cast caliper.
9943693/4 - normal with cast/alloy caliper.
9943964/5 - tonner with cast caliper.
9943695/6 - tonner with cast/alloy caliper.

HZ and WB list only the 9943693/4 for normal and 9943695/6 for tonner

MMmmm, So...does that mean that 3693/4 are the same as 3695/6?..Appears so..
R

#114 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

Here is an interesting quote from FastLane forum,

HJ stayed the same as HQ.
HX changed to two different part numbers for each of normal and tonner. There is a note that says that different stubs are needed for cast iron and cast iron/alloy calipers:

2820996/7 - normal with cast caliper.
9943693/4 - normal with cast/alloy caliper.
9943964/5 - tonner with cast caliper.
9943695/6 - tonner with cast/alloy caliper.

HZ and WB list only the 9943693/4 for normal and 9943695/6 for tonner

MMmmm, So...does that mean that 3693/4 are the same as 3695/6?..Appears so..
R

Any ideas?
R

#115 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

I thought the HX tonner and A9X were alittle meatier
Slightly more casting and heavier

Less flex between the balljoints
And they do flex believe me

#116 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

I would probably need to put some verniers on them but we have 4 HZ 1 tonners here at the wreckers..Holden..and they dont look any thicker to me.
R

#117 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

I think its HX not HZ
And its a difference you can see by eye.... at least the last time I looked ( about 5 years ago )

#118 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

Mine are like..REALLY thick...the HQ 1 tonners I looked at today looked quite thin in comparison.
R

#119 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

Thats often been said about you rory but I've defended you

Thats good you have thick ones rory as you're using slicks
This will help stop deflection and pad knock off

Got your backing plates cut yet and the right pads ?

#120 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

A9X and HZ Chassis and cab are the same part number.

#121 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

Thats often been said about you rory but I've defended you

Thats good you have thick ones rory as you're using slicks
This will help stop deflection and pad knock off

Got your backing plates cut yet and the right pads ?

YOU!!! I am going to shlap!! Yes..backing plates are done and I got MRNOS a set at the same time.
R

#122 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

A9X and HZ Chassis and cab are the same part number.

Groovy...hard to see but you can get an idea of the thickness of these suckers...heaps bigger than the HQ ones I say today, they are about 2/3 thickness of these. Mine have "OO" stamped on the back.They are goddamn thick muthas!
R
Posted Image

Edited by rorym, 12 February 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#123 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

A9X stub axles share the same part number as HX series ONE TONNER, not the standard HX series - I've posted this a few times before. I'm also sure they are physically the same size, so I'd suspect that there is some heat treating, or forging differences between them.

The 'early' style, ie off an A9X has slightly different numbers and markings cast in them than the later LX one tonner ones - at least my sets do.

Concept, without checking, I'm pretty sure the HX one tonner stub axles have "HD" stamped (not cast) into them in the location shown on your photo.

#124 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

same number as HZ 1 tonner as well.
R

#125 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

the r is for the drivers side.

Just curious to know what the difference is between right and left upper control arms for UC Toranas and why they are different as the LX UCA's were interchangeable right?

s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users