changing to hq pattern

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:04 PM

hey, whats the simplest way to change the front of a torry to hq pattern???

i see a few options, one is weld up the holes in the hub and re drill them further out (dun like this idea much), two is look around for a conversion hub...that takes the standerd lj brake rotor and has hq pattern. any idea where i could get something like this? three is convert to hq front stubs and breaks...dun really wanna do this though cause i just went right through my front brakes.

so wahts the verdict...anyone got some good tips??? im looking into this cause i wanna run weld pro stars and you can only get these in hq and ford patter. if i go this way i'll put a borgie diff in the back...commy pattern is near enough *flamesuit on*

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Ford pattern would be better, as it's closer to Torana pattern ( 5x4.25" ). Therefore it's more likely to be able to re-drill blank LJ discs to Ford pattern ( 5x4.5" ) than HQ ( 5x4.75" ). dattoman would be best to ask if that's possible. You can then run a Ford BW diff and have the same pattern all round.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

If I were redrilling, I'd be drilling the new holes between the old ones, not welding up to move them out. Um confusing, rotate new stud pattern 36 degrees so new holes for HQ pattern fall exactly between the old Torana ones.

Hope you know what I'm saying! I can see it, but can't explain it.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

you both sem to be foregetting, lc/lj's have a seperate hub to the disk. the disk bolts onto the outside face of the hub (where the wheel goes on) with bolts in between the studs. ie pats suggestion not possible.

you can see what i'm ranting about here...just
Posted Image

so fud has the closer pattern...i honestly thought that hq was 4.5 and ford 4.75. i'll have a look into it that way then.

#5 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

do they have to be WELD wheels?
I believe dragway make a prostar lookin wheel well they did mates got em on his torrie in torrie pattern ;)
CHeers
Stedz

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

yeah, at double the price. i don't mind paying $1200 for a set of mags, but $2400....i'm not that keen. beautie of dragways though is you can get them in any offset. ah well.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:45 AM

Just using an idea I saw on adapter plates that I saw at the mag shop. They have one pattern which bolts down with tops of bolts recessed into old holes, then have the new pattern holes offset for new studs coming out from that.

Guy at the shop wouldn't say how legal it was. Think I'd prefer to just change over properly.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

#1 you both sem to be foregetting, lc/lj's have a seperate hub to the disk. the disk bolts onto the outside face of the hub (where the wheel goes on) with bolts in between the studs. ie pats suggestion not possible.

#2 so fud has the closer pattern...i honestly thought that hq was 4.5 and ford 4.75. i'll have a look into it that way then.

#1 I knew about the seperate hub, I just wasn't sure if they could be bought new and un-drilled. The spacers that Pat spoke of which alter stud pattern are legal in VIC. Unsure about other states. Which is why I didn't mention them. If they are legal in QLD, expect to pay $620 for a set of 4. Plus postage if applicable.

#2 Trust me, I'm right.

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:26 PM

#1 ok. so we were kinda on the same tangent then, i thought that perhaps somewhere makes them pre drilled to hq/fud pattern, you thought bout undrilled ones. eather would work. don't want spacers, you were right to not mention them.

#2 trust me, i know your right. i just said i thought it was the other way around.

#10 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

You won't get those hubs new and undrilled
Best you could hope for is these type of trailer hubs
http://www.trojan.co...geID=2145834349
But you would need to contact them with regard to offsets,bearing sizes (should be ok) stud pattern for wheels, stud pattern for disc.

The original hubs could be cast welded up and redrilled. If you can find a suitable person to do them but they would then need x-raying to make sure they are not weakened. Probably a few crank hardening tricks would be in order too - shotpeen,magnaflux etc etc.

Would cost less to buy the dragways.

#11 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

cant you use an adapter to fit P76 discs? This is the same pattern as Ford is it not?
Then put a Ford pattern Nine inch in the back

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:51 PM

cant you use an adapter to fit P76 discs?

He could except for...

i see a few options.....three is convert to hq front stubs and breaks...dun really wanna do this though cause i just went right through my front brakes.

#13 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Since he wants to continue to use his LJ calipers he can't fit a vented disc

Good luck lil boi

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

so it's looking that if i wanna go this way the best way will be to change the front brakes (again) won't phase me to greatly....i can use the brakes on the drag car.

that said a mate has some 14x7 and 14x8 centerlines he wanst to unload...they look so god damb tough but won't fit over the disks i was gona have on the back. so i'm thinking i might stick with volvo diff (torry pattern) and run torana axel tubes and drums on it....so i can fit the centerlines on. did want back disks though.

datto, while i got your attention, know of any quick disk brake conversions for torana axel tubes that will fit under 14's??????

cheers for ya help so far guy's.

#15 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

I have commodore brakes on the racecar under 13's (skyline disc though)
And Commodores ran 14" wheels with disc rear.

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:56 PM

ok, so these will fit. i'm now wondering difficulty level to fit up??? would need to get blank disks and dril to torana pattern to go over axels...then make up brackets to hold callipers...figure out hand brake run lines ect...anything im forgetting???

#17 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

You get the backing plate off the wreck diff
This has the handbrake mech in it
Plus the bracket to hold the caliper

#18 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:19 PM

exelent...i'll look into it if i decide to go that way. the way things look righ tnow i just might.

cheers heeps mate, as always you have been invaluable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users