Basic engine check...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

Gday peoples,
Since I'm going the V6 route with my hatch over Christmas break what basic checks should I do with the V6 before I bolt it all up and install it in the LX?

I need to change over the sump to a small one, and replace one of the head gaskets (I'll end up doing both) but is it easy to check the rings or bearings without pulling the whole engine down?
Just after some rough guidelines to save any grief down the track...
Engine is stock apart from the sump & I'm using the T700 gearbox that came with the kit too...
:)

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:18 AM

once u got the heads of u will be able to see the bores, this will give u a good idication of how healthy the engine is, u want the bores to look nice and clean with no real deap scratches, but also no super smooth (they have little tiny etches or scratches that allow the oil to stick to the walls.
a lot could also be told by the state of the heads and the top of the pistons, make sure there isnt a heaps of shit built up, if there is u might need ur heads looked at.

im not sure about how to se if u need new rings etc, i think its just one of those things u just do if u want or u have the engine all apart.

anyway cheers

matt

Edited by PhatSSHatch, 14 November 2005 - 11:19 AM.

#3 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

Thanks Matt, Changed the sump over yesterday and couldn't see any obvious wear etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users