Overhauling dead LH rear drums

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _Gamera90_

_Gamera90_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hi, I just recently got my first torana (an old LH SLR5000 1974 some bikers were using as an amature drag car down in Queensland) and anyway to cut a long story short, the rear brakes are shot, there was more water than hydrolic fluid in the lines and the entire brake assembly seized up for good. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiance attempting a VK rear disc to torana rear transplant? or knows of any shops that fabricate any sort or torana disc conversion kits. The problem being is i'm trying to hold onto the original stud pattern and my frankensteind 8 3/4 inch ford diff.

Any advice or shops contacts would be great. Thanks.

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hopper's stoppers do kits for toranas and there's a few other places that I can't remember at the minute... If you want to retain torana stud pattern why do you want VK discs? CHOPPER would be able to go into a lot more detail...

#3 _Gamera90_

_Gamera90_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the link, to tell the truth iv'e got no prefrence over what vehicle the discs come from, a freind of mine said the vk disc would just be easy to source, its just that re-building my existing drums means I would have spent $300+ on sticking the still dodgy but working drums back on. So i though I'd try move to discs at the same time even if it means using sunbird rear disc or even another set of LH front disc welded to the back. I just hate drum brakes, 20+ moving parts is just asking for trouble.

#4 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

The only torana with rear discs (in early holden/torana stud pattern) was the UC SL/E - discs are no longer available for them new. I don't know much about the conversion side of things but you can get blank rotors from dba and have them drilled to whatever stud pattern need be.

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

If you have Holden pattern flanges as you should have cause you have holden brakes now
You can virtually bolt up commodore stuff straight on
Just need redrilled or blank rotors to start with

#6 _Gamera90_

_Gamera90_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the responce dattoman, I was hoping someone new about commodore transplants, so I've got the original pattern and i can afford rotors no problem, do you have any recomendation for the model/year of commodore brakes to be used and do you recommend hiting the reckers for parts or using rebuilt commodore calipers? Also I'm new at brake conversions so do you have any links or book reccomendations for this sort of thing. I realise i need a bigger brake booster and I,ve already boosted my vacum, but people also talk about spacers and minimum wheel sizes to leave space for the commodore calipers?. Anyway thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:56 PM

Rear discs/calipers are the same from VB - VS with a solid rear axle. Probaly best to get theose ones. IRS are different.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

What he said

Viper did this conversion on his car and posted up a how to with pic
But it got lost on the old forum