5 replies to this topic

#1 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

Ok might sound a little dumb but, i got the front lights working with high beams and all indicators, but no rear, brake lights, or dash board lights????
Is there a common fuse? Earthing problem?
HELP don't wana get hit in the arse!
Any help would be great :spoton:
After owning torana's for so long i should really know this......... :rockon:

#2 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

Check the fuses - make sure you have power on both sides of all the fuses, (some require the ignition turned on such as the indicators, which as you note already work). If the fuses are OK follow the wiring and make sure all the earths are connected and all the connecters are pushed on tight.

Your dashboard lights may not work because the rheostat is turned down on the headlamp switch and the rear lights may have dud globes. There are a few things to check there.

Edited by surfmaster, 05 March 2007 - 06:39 PM.

#3 _ingles_

_ingles_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

once youve isolated the problem,do yourself a favour and put separate earth leads on the brake light socket-any good auto elec. place should be able to help out.Have done this on a couple of vehicles-no more problems.

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

No tail lights? front parkers working? Interior light? Horn?
Anything else not working? could be that you are getting no power to the live side of the fuse terminals.
Dash lights are on their own fuse, as are brake and parking lights.
There are many possibilities as suggested in previous replies.

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

Sorry, my info ^ is not quite right.

There is a separate fuse for the dash lights, however, it is in series with the parking lamp fuse..........so failure of the parking lamp fuse will cause failure of the instrument lights.

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:59 PM

First thing I would do mate is replace your fuses. Even if they look good, I've had ones before that looked brand new, and were causing me intermittent problems.... chased around for ages, before finally working out one of the fuses was semi-crook.

Don't just slap in an old fuse you find lying around either - go to your local parts place, and spend $10 or so to get yourself a whole nice collection of brand new fuses.... bugger it... just replace them all for brand new ones... it's so cheap and easy. Then you've guaranteed yourself a good start to the rest of the troubleshooting should the problem/s still exist....

PS. While you're at the shops, replace all your globes too!!! hahaha, it's easy for me to spend your money.... but brand new brake/parker globes and all indicators... it's gonna cost you bugger all... and once again, it's one of the best things you'll ever do.... and you'll be right for years and years once you've done it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users