Front bearing problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

I recently has a noisey whine from my front end which from experience was a bearing gone. Everytime I would turn left it would stop whining. So I changed over my bearing but within 2 days it is whining again. I have used plenty of grease (proper wheel bearin grease) yet it has gone.
Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Could it be that perhaps I did not clean the stub axle enough or could it be maybe my disc is warped and causing bearings to die straight away. Any help or suggestions would be appriciated, because I am now at the point of buying another bearing to install again.
Oh and I also changed the rear bearing on the passenger side just to see if that was stuffed but no, the noise is still there. I am worried it may let go and put me into a bad predicament.
Cheers
Matt (very frustrated) :furious:

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:38 PM

Where is the grease gone, can you see where it has leaked out onto the wheel or disc etc.
if your caliper is tight you can over heat the disc and melt the grease.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

Lots of grease
Lots and lots of grease

Not just the bearing but you need to fill the centre of the hub too
When the greae heats up in the bearing it spins out
If you have no or not enough grease in the centre it goes there
If you have heaps in the centre theres less chance of it going anywhere

#4 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

I have used heaps of grease. I took it apart again tonight and there was plenty in there, but still I thought more, more, more, so I stuffed more into the centre but I think the bearing is too far gone. Maybe I should have used more grease to begin with, but half a tub should be enough I thought. Maybe I got a dodgy bearing, although it was a GMH genuine part. No grease has leaked out of the hub, but the grease in the bearing is much thinner and dirtier than inside the hub.
So frustrated.

#5 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:03 PM

Did you seat the new bearing races right in properly? Did you change them?

Did you pack the grease into the bearing properly, not just smear it on them?

Have you got bearing seals on them (silly I know but I was at the wreckers about 6 months ago looking for stub axles and I removed a total of 5 discs from HQ- HZ's which had no bearing seals at all and stub axles that were blue from the heat)

Did you preload the bearings correctly when you tightened them up?

Are you using bearing grease for Disc brake hubs?

Those are the main things I can thnk of.

#6 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

Did you pack the grease into the bearing properly, not just smear it on them?

definately make sure you are greasing the bearing correctly before fitting it to the stub axle.

#7 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

and did you use high temperature wheel bearing grease

#8 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

I packed the bearings properly, I have used proper high temp, disc bearing grease, put the new seal on, and changed the seats and they have been put in all the way. I have changed bearings before without a problem but for some reason this time its not worked. I did everything the same as last time. So I am stumped. I bought another bearing today so I will start all over again and hopefully this time it works.
The only one thing I am not sure on is preload the bearings when tightening as suggested by toranamat69. Can you explain what you mean here. As I said I did it the same as the last time I changed them so I must be preloading but please explain just so I am sure.
Cheers

#9 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

The preload is how tight you do the nut up on the stub axle.

You do it up until you can just start to feel it drag when you turn the disc and then put the split pin in, if the hole doesn't line up, back it off to the next hole, don't tighten it further to get the pin in.

M@

#10 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

Cool, I will try that right now, just changing the seats and I will be putting it back together. I checked the seats that I just pulled out and they have only been on my car for two weeks and the hardening has already worn away. Either I totally stuffed something up or the bearing was faulty to start with.
Cheers for your help buddy. :clap:

#11 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I have just installed a new bearing and surprise, surprise its whining just like the rest. My disc is warped, its the only explaination. When I got back from my test drive I jacked the car back up and turned the wheel and it definately sounds like the disc is warped. I should have tried that first hey, at least it wasnt an expensive leason concidering the bearings are only $17 each. Just cost me an hour of my time.
Thanks all once again, its great that people are so eager to help a fellow tori owner.
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users