- - - - -

Torana upgrade

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _racing1005_

_racing1005_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

I have an SLR L32 (now warm 308) that I intend upgrading as follows (I have all of the major components - box, diff, brakes) :

- A w58 alloy supra 5 speed gearbox
- An A9X 10 bolt disc brake diff
- HQ front stub axles with vented front discs
- HQ bolt pattern 14" mags

I am looking for someone that can actually fit all of this - I want to start circuit sprints and bitumen targa racing later this year.
I have previously posted a message for help but have been without a computer for sometime.
Is there any one out there who can advise who can do this work in Brisbane, and any pitfalls that you might have experienced.

I am planning to compete in Targa Tas in 2007 in the classic category and am prepared to look at sponsors also. I have competed in a number of Qld Raceway amatuer events and will be doing more this year (if car is finished) in preparation for the event. Sponsorship in parts or labour only is sought as I now have a navagitor and mechanic.

Please any help or advice at all would be appreciated.
Thanks

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

Just some food for thought.

Targa is a invite only event. To enter you will need to pay a $2500 application fee (last time I looked) and then if they like what they see and want to give you a go you will then get invited to teh event to pay more moneys to compete. SO it can get very expensive. Just remember that the $2500 gets paid regardless of whether you get invited or not. so make sure the car is presentable and finished ready well before the event.

Cheers

#3 _racing1005_

_racing1005_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. I knew about the entry fee but not about the potential for non selection. I will keep this in mind and may be aim a bit lower initialy. Perhaps local based events but I am keen to start.

#4 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:16 AM

Get your mechanic to fit them.......

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:54 AM

I'd take 12 months to sought the car out before embarking on a huge event like Targa. I entered a 4 day rally and had to pull out after Day 1 because the car wasn't totally soughted, a very frustrating and expensive way to learn. Cut yourself some flack and give yourself some time.

The Dutton's Rally runs in Queensland, but a four day commitment. I'd do some hillclimbs to sought the car out first, as it is highly competitive (lots of peeps where money is no object). That's what I should have done in hindsight.

Don't know anybody in Brisbane that can help, sorry.

#6 _racing1005_

_racing1005_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

Thanks Yella SLuR. I will look into the event you mentioned.
For anyone else - any good mechanics/ engineers you could recommend that I approach that have had experience in modifications to older cars - in Brisbane?
I would really appreciate any leads or tips.
Thanks

#7 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:40 PM

G'day mate, where in brissy are you?

What sort of workshop do you have at your disposal? It is good to lean to do it your self - especially if going racing as you will break things and will cost a fortune and be bloody inconvienient to have to ship her off the the mechanics all the time.

I have done most of the mods (or similar) you have listed there and can give you a hand as to what you need and where to get it. Pretty simple stuff to physically change over.

Do you have the conversion kit for the Supra box?

I am on the southside.

M@

#8 _racing1005_

_racing1005_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Toranamat69 - I am at Annerley on the southside. I do not have any workshop facilities (I do have a covered large secure carport as a space to work but not a lot in terms of tools - just the basics, jacks, ramps, spanners etc).

I am not afraid to try and do the work if there is someone helping who has experience.
I have the complete Dellow conversion kit for the gearbox, the 10 bolt disc brake diff (off an lx) with most brake components, and the HQ front stub axles. Still to be found are the correct length tailshaft, loop, master cylinder (if it has to be upgraded to HQ).

The replaced parts will be sold or could be used as part payment as will other parts I currently have which include:
- air con compressor, condensor, underdash fan outlets and engine mounting brackets (came off this car and were working), 4 X 8" Aunger torana pattern Hotwire mags, LSD Banyo diff GU8 (3.08 I think), M20 v8 box, clutch, bellhousing, Rochester carb - all in fair to good condition.

If you are prepared to help I would like to discuss this with you. I can be contacted on 0408 3407 04 - if it goes through to message just leave your contact number.

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

I actually thought the entry fee for Targa Tasmania was more like 10K ?? perhaps I was misinformed.

One question immediately comes to mind: why do you want HQ stub axles? and not just HQ brakes on Torana stubs?

Cheers
Herne

#10 _racing1005_

_racing1005_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

Herne, entry fee is different for different categories. Classics and touring classes are in the range of $2,500 - $3,000.
Re the stubs axles - I have Torana stubs with HQ discs - sorry about wrong description.

#11 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for that :) Good luck with your project.

Cheers
Herne

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

Racing 1005, I'd be taking Mat up on that offer. We'd still be picking his brain if he was still down here. Still will pick his brain, but it will be across the net now.

#13 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:46 AM

Mate I don't mind lending a hand and plenty of advice.

I'll give you a dial. First thing is to make sure the pile of parts is right.

A few Q's
I am a bit confused about stubs etc - you will need HQ ones to run those brakes.

Good start having the Dellow conversion - did you get the hydraulic clutch setup as part of the kit? which clutch do they supply with it.

Is the 10 bolt diff to suit a standard LX of an A9X?

You have plenty of good parts to remove there so should be able to recoup a bit of $$.

You are only about 2 suburbs from me too.

M@

#14 _racing1005_

_racing1005_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

toranamat69 - Thanks I got your phone message, I will call you tomorrow to talk this through a bit and organise a time that suits both of us to show you the parts.
The front brake parts I have were bought off ebay and were listed as "unused HQ vented discs with stub axles suitable for LH/LX." I think the are correct for the conversion - I still need to get callipers and pads.
The diff I purchased on ebay also from a guy at Tenah Merah (near Springwood). He has a shed full of collectable A9X's and L34'S. I think he said the diff came out of an LX - I don't know how to tell wether it was an A9X. It is complete with discs, callipers and gears - no axles though (maybe get cut down HQ or 1 tonner ones?). Are the mounting points different for an a9x?

I did't get the hydraulic setup for the clutch - the clutch was supplied by dellow. I told them when I ordered it that it was going behind a red v8 using a w55 supra box. - hopefully I got the right parts.

#15 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hey I live in Annerly too! Where abouts are you? I'm near the pub on the corner of Annerly and Ipswich road.

#16 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:41 PM

If it is an A9X diff, it has different upper mounting points, and won't fit straight into an LH/LX body. Are the upper mounts on the diff cast into the centre, or welded onto the axle tubes?

Re the Supra box, I STRONGLY suggest using a UC/Commodore style cable clutch (Commodore adaptor bellhousing, modified pedal, UC 6 cylinder clutch cable), and wrap the clutch cable in heat resisting material, otherwise the exhaust heat can cook it. Standard Torana V8 clutch assemblies are crap, and hydraulic ones are an improvement, but in my opinion nowhere near as good as a well set up cable mechanism, escecially if you'll be throwing it around a bit.

You can actually machine LX stubs to fit HQ brakes, but not too many people bother to do that these days, with the amount of brake upgrade kits around.

For an 'entry level' event, why not come down and do the Classic Adelaide - great roads, and a much cheaper event to enter. Those that have done it and the Tassie Targa either report that they're about the same, or that the Adelaide event is better.

Good luck with the jigsaw puzzle :spoton:

#17 _racing1005_

_racing1005_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Dangerous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users