S/B chev flywheel sizes, pressure plates, clutches

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _LH350_

_LH350_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

Guys,

I have bought a new vortec headed s/b chev for the LH which came with a 168 tooth flexplate. Am converting car to toploader.

If using a 168 tooth flywheel what size pressure palte and clutch can I use?
Dellow tell me a 168 tooth flywheel is a 10.5" flywheel which will accept a 10" pressure plate (holden v8) and 10" clutch. However other websites I have seen refer to the 168 tooth as an 11" flywheel. Am I going to be able to fit the 10" clutch I bought from Dellow to a 168 tooth flywheel?

Any help would be appreciated. :fool:

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

clutch is not the issue as teh 10" will got without and issue. the issue comes down to what the flywheel pressure plate bolt pattern is. if it is the 10.5" then all will be fine. if 11" then not so good. the clutch will still work but the pressure plate will need changing. You may find some websites measure th flex plate and report this reading not the pressure plate size. so while they run teh same thing they are actually quoting two seperate things.

Cheers

#3 _LH350_

_LH350_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

I have now managed to ascertain there are two flywheel sizes, 153 tooth (10.5") and 168 tooth (11"). Dellow bellhousing is designed to clear 10.5" only. Only problem is that 153 tooth flywheels do not bolt straight up to post 86 s/b chevs. Suburban are machining a 168 tooth flywheel into a 153 to fit onto newer crank. And it also now requires different starter motor to boot. What a day! :cry:

#4 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

Something else to look out for - if you are buying a new starter motor, make sure you get the correct bolt pattern one. There are 2 sorts - inline bolt pattern and offset (staggered) bolt pattern.

I made the HUGE mistake of buying an inline starter (actually 2 starter motors) for my offset pattern block. We had to drill the extra hole, but it caused nothing but headaches for a couple of years (it did work, but always screeched and grinded, sometimes breaking pinion circlips, chewing out the driveplate etc). Mucked around with shims, machining, slotting holes, nothing ever got it right. (I have the larger driveplate on mine - ext balanced 400 crank - so anytime I need to replace a driveplate, I have to have it mirror balanced! (More money).

I finally woke up and bought the correct offset starter and now it's brand new. Sounds fantastic when it cranks over now! But what a nightmare!!!! (It also cost me plenty, I'm now on my 3rd starter, 3rd driveplate, and had to ditch my custom 4-into-1 extractors in order to fit the new starter!!!!!).

#5 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:37 PM

I always wondered why your car sounded so bad when starting... At least you got it sorted....

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users