clutch pedal return spring

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

hey guys im trying to put my clutch pedal into my lc but the big fat return spring that sits on top of it is giving me some troubles. has anyone got any ideas or ways they have done it before.
any suggestions woulds be fantastic!

cheer
ben

#2 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

drill a very small hole each end in plastic. Compress both end and spring in vise and then you can thread a wire through the holes drilled and tie. Take out vice place under dash and cut tie wire.

#3 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

I just changed the pedals in the stock car, it wasn't a big problem to get in with the whole package, but then I went for a hydraulic clutch which doesn't need the assist spring & it was almost impossible to get out with the pedals in place. Lakesides idea seems the go, otherwise undo the 3 bolts holding in the pedals & get it all in together.

#4 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

i got it i pretty much did what you said lake side but wondering if it was worth it now after reading doc damages reply since i also have a hydraulic clutch. oh well its on there now and its not coming off anytime soon.

cheers guys
ben

#5 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

The spring made it too sensitive. I could've adjusted the clutch to have it engage lower, it was engaging just past full compression of the spring & was giving too much help.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the spring is meant to counter the uneven stroke (pivoting) of the rat trap. So I'll have to put the spring in the road car, which has just received a 4 speed & rat trap clutch.

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

I put mine back together with the spring when I did the hydraulic clucth conversion,I thought it was needed.

Are you meant to refit the spring with the hydraulic clutch conversion kit or leave it off?

#7 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

Being a stockcar, my clutch is best described as very custom. The spring was making it difficult for mine in particular. I had a look at the manual which calls it an overcenter spring, & says it's for clutch load assistance. So I don't think it matters.

#8 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

so i should ditch the spring when i change the bushing on the clutch pedal?

#9 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

what do ya rekon doctor damage??

#10 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:51 PM

Entirely up to yourself from what I have researched. In my estimation it's not actually needed in either application.

#11 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

ok then well when i chage the bushes out ill see if it still works the same either way then.
cheers doc

ben

#12 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

just ditched the spring from the clutch pedal and works much better now!
just thought i might share that.

ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users