Anyone have any pics of LC/LJ tubs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Bedford_

_Bedford_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Hey guys, I'm just after some pics of anyones LC/LJ Minitubs.

If you've got some photos in the process of having the tubs done, and any after shots would be great.

Just want to see if it's something I can tackle myself.

#2 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

I will get some pics of mine for you soon gtrboy did post some a while ago there on here somewhere

#3 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:47 AM

Here are links that have pics of the mini-tubs in my gtr.HTH.

tub inside car

tub with backseat

tubs in boot

link to pics of undercarriage pics of mini-tubs & coil-overs

In the last link the pics aren't the best but hopefully it will give you an idea how the tubs fit with lc/j chassis rails.

Edited by gtrboyy, 18 March 2007 - 05:54 AM.

#5 _Bedford_

_Bedford_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for those guys :)

Anyone else? :)

#6 _OLC383_

_OLC383_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

Bedford ive modified the tubs in my LC but have no photos of it,(do have some on my mobile phone) my question to you is how big of a tyre do you want to run on the rear, the mods on my Torana allow me to run a 26x8.5 slick & 235/60 x14 street tyres. with my LC still being registered in QLD i have to be carefull with the tubs due to road laws in QLD & cops who have had a bad day

#7 _Bedford_

_Bedford_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

OLC383 - I'm new to all this so I don't know what I need to or should run. To be perfectly honest I love the look of the LC/LJ with lengthened arches and big wheels, but I'm not going to go to that extent.
I plan on having a 350 chev (if the engineer says it's ok) that puts out around 350-400hp.
Because I'm new to it I don't know whether a 225/50/15 would be sufficient.
I've seen a couple of 2nd hand nine inch diffs around, and eventhough I don't need to buy one right now, if I see one for the right price, I want to be able to snatch it up knowing it's the right length.
I'm assuming you'd want a shorter one for a car that's got minitubs?
So... the reason I'm asking for pics is I want to see if it's something I can do myself or not as I've been told I'll have to wait 3-6mths to get minitubs done locally.

Kind of a long winded reply to a simple question, hehe. But it's just so you understand what I'm looking for :)

#8 LJ383

LJ383

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Heya,
I would forget the 350 because i doubt youll get it regoed anyway.
I would go 308 because for one on ebay people sell the parts needed for this conversion all the time. Sumps,headers etc etc
As for tubs if you can weld you can do the tubs.
Only hard bits i have found are the outer edges where the tub is spot welded to the inner guard. Drill them out for a nice clean finish. Or cut them but this area gives strength to the guard opening.
Other hard bit i find where the tub is attached at the top to the inner section. Hard to explain but when u try cut it youll know. Mind you i do it all with a angle grinder. An oxy would make it so much easier and quicker.
This is for full mini tubs to the outer gaurd opening.
If you do the old split the tub and move it you avoid all these hassles.
Then id recommend forking out for a proper set of tubs with rolled beads for strength and away you go.

Cheers
Adam

PS Is this your first car ??

#9 _Bedford_

_Bedford_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

LJ383 - It's not my first car, but it's the first one I'll be modifying :)
If I can't go 350, I'll probably go 307.
I plan on buying the proper tubs if I do it.
I just haven't seen enough tubs to know what's involved. I'm sure I'm capable of it, it's just the confidence to know that you're doing it right... or at least how everyone else does it :)
Do you have any pics of your car that you can email me? Just wanna see how your rear tyres look in the guards etc :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users