relay or the fuse

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hi. spent all day mucking around fitting and making brackets to fit an Au thermo fan to my radiator. Now I'm up to the wiring.

I have two in line fuses and a twin relay box. My question is Do I run power/fuse/relay/fan. or power/relay/fuse/fan ? :huh:

Or have I got it all wrong alltogether??

#2 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

you should put a fuse on the power before the relay (unless u tapped into a fused circuit already) and put a fuse on power wire from the relay to fan

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:00 PM

The fuse should be be put in the current path as close to the source of the power(the battery) as possible......so you are protecting the whole length of the circuit, including the relay from short circuits, not only for the possiblility of a problem at the load end of the circuit. The fuse should go in the power wire going from the battery to the relay. Two fuses in series would serve no useful purpose other than to have another set of connections that could give you trouble.
Given that you appear to want to run one wire and connect it to two relays, the one supply wire should be protected with a fuse that will carry the total start up load ~60A, then branching into two separate wires with 30A fuses before each relay. Youd save the trouble and cost of a 60A fuse if you just ran two wires direct from the battery.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 30 March 2007 - 09:08 PM.

#4 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

yea i meant one fuse on the switching circuit for the relay, and one for the switched circuit. in other words one on the power from the fan switch to the relay, and one on a thick wire from battery to relay

#5 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

Thanks. I will get another relay and have two seperate circuits for each fan.hopefully this should help safeguard against one fan or the other failing.

Thanks for your help guys. :spoton:

#6 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

hey thats a good idea, that way if 1 fan fails u still have one working, instead of none at all!

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

I used circuit breakers, which reset them selves after tripping and are only $2 more than a quality fuse holder, good insurance for traveling in traffic and you miss the gauge skyrocket if a fuse goes.

#8 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

^^^ good idea. my temp gauge is seperate again though, so even if both fans do a fuse I will still see my gauge climb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users