XU-1 Heat Shields

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

Hello All, I had a great discussion with some Holden Advocates at car club the other night that I wish to share with the forum, Topic came re Pauls Great Repo Heat shieds. I currently have a heat shield on my tripples and I made the comment that I wrapped my extractors in Heat wrap but complained that the heat shield really didn't do what it's name suggests as try to adjust the mixtures on the strommies on a hot motor and 3 Sec is all that the hand will with stand under the fuel bowl. Getting to my point that one of the more senior members said that even though it is called a heat shield it's main purpose is to redirect any fuel leaks as far away from that hot exhaust as possible so it really is a fire prevention item. As anyone that has tripples will tell you that fuel leaks can be common untill you get the carbs sorted. This certainly makes good sence as most mechanics just tossed them in the 70's and 80's as it hinders the adjustment process and really dosent shield the heat as the name suggests. rgds Sunburst

#2 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

Well they would not want to call them petrol catchers!!

Wouldnt look good for the company, lol

Cheers

Loui

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

I would have to disagree completely.
I have done plenty of testing with and without one of these heat shields fitted and it completely fixes the fuel vapourisation problem when you sit at the lights idling for 5 minutes waiting for them to change on a hot 30+ degrees summer day.
You are lucky to get across the other side of the intersection without the shield fitted.

Considering the headers don't touch the carbies, the heat transfer that is taking place is by radiation and convection not conduction - both of which the shield would be good at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users