thermo fans

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

hey guys looking for some fans for the lc. just want to know the best fans i can use. iv go 350mm top to bottom and 560mm from left to right but could probably go a little wider. how big are au twins?? theyr probably a bit over kill but at least i wont ever have a problem again with heating!
any feedback would be apprecated

Ben

#2 _heppy_ss_76_

_heppy_ss_76_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

depending if you get genuine or aftermarket ones, AU's are approx 690-720mm across, Cheers

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

Au's suck (literally). I dont think you have room for them in your engine bay as they have to be mounted behind the radiator.

#4 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Ben, I think you will find it hard to get anything between the engine and radiator other than the original engine fan in an LC/J running a Holden 6. I've got a 6 blade engine fan of an early commodore (just the fan, not the clutch assembly) sitting here and i don't think it will fit. I'm going through the overheating thing as well with my car. Currently I have a single 12" mounted to the front of the radiator (there is no space behind it) but a better option i think would be a pair of 10" mounted on the front.

Unless you can get some mega thin ones, you won't fit anything behind (specially with your big thick belt and pulleys).

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 02 April 2007 - 10:15 AM.

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:08 AM

all you blokes and your overheating problems!!! my LJ runs a 3 core radiator, and the original (albeit Chrime) engine fan.never had a problem, i think i have a faily large thermo sitting in the back shed that came off an LJ that we stripped, and no way it owuld fit behind radiator.

#6 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

well i was thinking two 10 in fans but M@ has advised against it but suggested two 12" fans. the gilmer looks pretty but its bloody hard to make anything fit in there now. cant seem to find any information on the davis craige stuff i wanted to see how much air those fans are advertised to flow although they are seeming to be the only option at the moment.

o well.

#7 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

Ive got twin davis craig thermos on my car keeping my chev cool. I wouldnt go past them car does not get past 70 degress. even in traffic! But thats just my personal prefrence its up to you.

#8 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

thats positive feedback. how big are they??

#9 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

i think myn are tens not quite sure but i made a brcet for them to sit on. dont put then throught the raidiator, (last owner of my car did that, stuffed the raidiator). My are awesome. I may have a pic ill see.

#10 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

that would be great if you had a photo. thats a good effort for the 10"s keeping it kool. if they can keepo keep the chev cool then im sure two 12s will keeep my 6 cool im sure.

#11 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

Mate i dont have any pics at the moment but i will take some tommorow.

#12 _MediuM16A2_

_MediuM16A2_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

Mate i dont have any pics at the moment but i will take some tommorow.

good boi.

#13 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

i have a 14 inch thermo fan on the front blowing through a 5 core truck radiator and it still gets hot :(
Posted Image

#14 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

The 5 core radiator is more of a hinderence why-psi a vk radiator is better with that 14in thermo,you can fit a 16in in front but it requires some metal surgery & repainting of the radiator support.

#15 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:11 AM

ive done a fair bit of metal surgery to get this radiator to fit. it was in a XY GT before my car, might try to get a 2 core alloy XY radiator, that way i could fit something on the back

#16 _v8slrtorana_

_v8slrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:28 AM

My 355/308 LH has a reco std 3 core rad with 2x 10" Davis Craigs, no over heating problems yet. Been like this for 6 months.
Burnout comp at Powercrusie this weekend will be the big test. Im in Darwin.

#17 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

My understanding is going up core size can cause the coolant flow rate to slow down and this can cause the car to run hotter. There is a limit to how fast the coolant should flow (before it starts to get airated) but this is the main reason why i don't want to pay $300 - 400 for a 3 core radiator if its not gonna fix my problem.

why-psi if you are going to run the 5 core radiator, maybe you should try and get a smaller water pump pulley and see if you can increase the coolant flow a little? You might find your car runs a little cooler. :spoton:

Steve

#18 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

cool thanks steve, i read about this somewhere also. was going to use an electric motor to run the pump like the moroso electric waterpump drive kit, but if i turn the pump faster it could cause cavitation, so i might try the biggest davies craig electric waterpumps and get rid of my mechanical pump

#19 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

Reading about the 5 core radiator thing, i dredged up something from the depths of my mind. When i was getting one of my radiators re-cored, The bloke told us that 2 thicker cores were more efficient (read:worked better) the the much loved 3 core radiators. That is just the one radiator blokes opinions, but seemed to have worked for the worked motor (6 cylinder) that it went infront of.

CHEERS Chris :spoton:

#20 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

I am assuming that works better because a thicker 2 core would in theory give more tube to air contact, without reducing the flow speed much.

The reason I am not keen to replace my 2 core with a 3 core is if i do that i think my coolant flow rate will drop and the air flow through the radiator will be reduced (due to the extra row of tubes), possibly resulting in either a very minimal increase in cooling, no change or a reduction in cooling (read car overheats worse).

Steve

#21 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

my ally radiator is just two big fat cores. i did have a 3 core radiator in it before that worked beautifully. just the traffic was an issue. largely due to pour mounting of the thermo fan i am thinking. wasnt close enough to the radiator so blew air around instead of through it.

#22 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

cool thanks steve, i read about this somewhere also. was going to use an electric motor to run the pump like the moroso electric waterpump drive kit, but if i turn the pump faster it could cause cavitation, so i might try the biggest davies craig electric waterpumps and get rid of my mechanical pump

I would expect that the more cores/tubes a radiator has the less restrictive it would be to water flow.

I think you will find the problem is that electric fans do not have the power to provide sufficient air flow through a five core radiator. Typically vehicles fitted with five core radiators have large engine driven fans that take a couple of HP to turn.

If you can find a vehicle that has a factory fitted five core radiator and electric fans then it would prove the theory wrong.

#23 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

That rad pictured on the previous page is as only good(cooling efficency wise)as a 4 row standard core.They are mainly used as mentioned on trucks as they are a strong (structial wise) radiator not really a good cooling core.They used to use those years ago(remeber the 5 row hq-hz rads which were spose to be a heavy duty?)and now days are bs expensive because of the amount of copper in them.

#24 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

I would expect that the more cores/tubes a radiator has the less restrictive it would be to water flow.

My point was not that the 5 core would be more restricted for coolant flow, but that with 5 cores and much more tubes to flow through the coolant would move much slower through the radiator, simply because of the increased size.

Steve

#25 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

^ correct and correct, less restriction = less flow = less cooling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users