black 202 efi

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

^^^ ive just bought 1, and i have problems...

well, what i found... when the engine waz recoe'd, (guy i bought it off said it waz reco's 40000k's ago) who eva did it waz blind!!! there is a bloody water jacket in the head that isnt in the block!!! nor the head gasket! , wtf is with that>???

but as for the block!!! im not going to say numbers but lets just say, the block #, and rego are diferent!!! not sure what the deal is there but somewhere along the lines they have been changed...

the pistons are 30thou ova size and i would say the rest of the bottom end would have had something strong in there aswell..

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

I'm thinking red block with black head....has it got fully counterweighted crank in it?

If it is a red block it may play into your hands a bit in that if it is a pre adr 27A block you "might" not have to fit all the emissions gear..but I am not the person certifying it.

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

Definitely sounds like a Red block. If you use a Blue motor head gasket, you can use that as a template to drill the extra holes in the block. Just remember to take some care.

#4 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

oh, on the side of the block it doesnt actually say 202... it says 3.3,
and the engine number starts with VL. which of course got me thinking its a vl carby block... but them im told that VL's didnt come out with 202, carby's/...

oh and the block is all black... not red, does this say anything?

oh and i cant tell u if its fully counter weight yet... when the head came off thats where i stopped.

Edited by postal_dood, 14 January 2006 - 11:05 AM.

#5 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

Am I right in saying the late Red blocks (HZ,VB?) had 3.3 cast in rather than 202?

I'd say red block... And for a 40,000km "reco'd" its got some rather nasty marks in the bores... :mellow:

#7 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:31 AM

well, id say the guy flogged tha shit outa it before taking it out... but it waz recoed at 280000, but now i think he lied and its probly done more than what originally told.

#8 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:36 AM

Yeah. :( Oh well them's the risks of buying 2nd hand bits... Buyer beware.

Grab a VK out of the classifieds for $200 rip the engine and take the bottom end. Flog the remains of the wreck off to recoup your cash and start afresh.

#9 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:19 PM

thats a dowel hole you are are looking at..nothing to worry about. There are 2 of them

VL in the engine number doesn't have anything to do with VL commodores...It is a VK block

yes lat red 202 had 3.3 cast in the side.

#10 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

so fast eh,, does this mean, that the block is a VK 202 3.3L, or is it a block outa something else?

and what i was worried about is why or what to do with the hole in the head...

its obvious water has been hitting the gasket, and leaking into the cylinder, thus causing the blow by making bubbles in the radiator. so i have to do something about it...

i waz told this by someone else so if it is completely wrong please say so...

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

If you have a straight edge, run that along the top of the block and along the head. Hopefully this will tell you if the block and/or head will need machining to get it flat again. I don't think it costs too much to surface the head or block if required.

Head gaskets also blow because people don't know how to install them properly.

#12 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

it is a vk 3.3 block.

that gasket might just have had it..check everything is flat...and chuck a new one on...since it looks like your dowels are gone be absolutely sure the gasket goes on the right way or you will block things off.I am confident a new gasket (correctly installed ) will get you out of trouble.

#13 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

#1 Blue/Black six has a fully counterweighted crank from the factory.
#2 Blue/Black six has extra coolant passages to suit the extra passages in the Blue/Black head.

when i asked about 202 red VS 202 black u said ^^^that... so are these the only diferences..?? if so, im just gona get the extra passage drilled.

#14 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

Posted Image

not sure if i showed this 1... but here we can see the block is missing a passage... lol, im a tour guide.... hahahaha

#15 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

Its no biggy....i drilled mine but I don't really think you have too..the people that designed these things knew what they were doing...the rest of us just think we know.

#16 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:56 PM

what do u mean??? not drill the hole??? wouldnt drilling it reduce the heat a little.??? less heat is a good thing...

#17 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

I have 2 blue/black 3.3 6's & the hole that you refer to betwen #1 & #2 isn't drilled in either of them

#18 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

why not??? do ur 2 have efi heads on them?

#19 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

alloy yt blue/black head

#20 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

oh right...

i think im just gona drill biger holes and be done with it...
its still a good buy for 400, with xtras,...

but thanx for all ur help guys...

#21 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

ok here we have a freshly rebuilt BLUE 202 ....
Posted Image

no hole between 1 and 2 cylinders same as your motor.

and here we have a blue 202 head .... you'll notice it has the same hole as your head.
Posted Image

i can tell you from experience and over 180,000kms that this hole is normal and doesn't cause issues.

my guess is your head is warped or it wasn't torqued down tight enough etc ....

#22 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

bguck!!! thats all i can say... thats clean!

well im going down to the engine reco place near by and getting my head and block, smoothed out... (or whateva u call it),,, but u hit the nail on the head with that 1 sammy...
my block is the same as that 1... its gota be a blue 202... dude i bought it off is gona get a slapin!

#23 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

blue and black motors are identical in these respects though so the only real way i guess to find out for sure if its a blue or black is to look up the engine number or something ....

if its a blue motor and its registered in a VK theres not really a drama, personally i've heard blue motors are better than black motors, however the VK EFI heads are the better option for a stock head.

and if its going into another car thats older than a VK then you have no dramas if its blue or black, blue = less pollution rules to abide by.

just remembered about a stock VK EFI head i got cleaned up ....
Posted Image
which prooves atleast the heads blue or black efi are the same ....

Edited by Sammy, 17 January 2006 - 12:39 PM.

#24 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

bguck!!! thats all i can say... thats clean!

That's how all engines should be when they are being assembled...

#25 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

blue and black motors are identical in these respects though so the only real way i guess to find out for sure if its a blue or black is to look up the engine number or something ....

if its a blue motor and its registered in a VK theres not really a drama, personally i've heard blue motors are better than black motors, however the VK EFI heads are the better option for a stock head.

and if its going into another car thats older than a VK then you have no dramas if its blue or black, blue = less pollution rules to abide by.

just remembered about a stock VK EFI head i got cleaned up ....
Posted Image
which prooves atleast the heads blue or black efi are the same ....

i will be keeping as little stock as possible in my engine... its already got a few things done to tha block, which is why i wanted to keep it... if only to save me the trouble of fitting the pistons to another 1...

does anyone know how much anti polution shit im gona need to get it registered?
and how much of a restriction does this crap make?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users