Good Battery

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what sort of car battery ppl used. I'm wanting to know some of the good strong ones out there that will last a bit longer than my current one. I currently have an Apollo (don't know how many cells) and not that its not good but if I don't use the car for a couple of weeks there's a bit of a voltage drop. Yes, I know, age and all that kind of stuff but thats not what I'm worried about. I need a good strong battery that can take care of my needs. I've got a high compression stroker with hi torque starter, twin thermo's to run, alarm system, ICE ignition system, fuel pump and guages and all that and I want to know what ppl use out there for these sort of applications - a 'performance/race' battery you might say...

Cheers,

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

I would be looking at upgrading the alternator to something around 85 amp to cope with the extra demand created by the thermo fans and fuel pumps.

If you want to be able to leave the car for weeks at a time with the alarm on then you will need to look at getting an automatic battery charger.

http://www.projecta....d/3/asset_id/15

This thread covers the subject.
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=11544

#3 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

I have a Projecta OnBoard maintainence charger. It can be mounted to the vehicle, wired up, then just plug it in when you park. It comes with 2 sets of connections so you can just unplug the fitted wires to the battery & plug in the long wires with the alligator clips on them to charge other batteries. They're designed for use in boats too so they are supposed to be fairly robust.

#4 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

i use to use apollo batteries as a mate owns the battery shop that sells them. i could never get them to last much past 12mnths (yep just after warranty was over). now i use heavy duty century, get the heavy duty its worth the few extra bucks. especially if u have high comp engine the extra grunt from the additional plates makes a big difference.

#5 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

Just a shitty Supercheap auto one. Its the heavy duty style one. :rolleyes:

Will upgrade to a marine or dry cell eventually.

#6 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hmm, thanks for those couple of links ls2lxhatch, that covers some of the stuff I was after. One of these chargers certainly seems the thing to be looking for in the light of my situation and would fit the bill perfectly I think.

With the 250B you linked, did you suggest this because it can be fitted to the car or because it has the correct rating for the application? I would not look to install the unit in the car but attach it every time I got home. The 250B is easy for this because of the harness that can be permanently attached to the battery and then just connected, but what about the other chargers, would I benefit from getting a higher mA rated charger?

I am also already running an 85 amp alternator.

Also, where do you get these projecta's from - is it a direct mail order job or can I get one from autobahn or something?

Thanks guys,

Cheers,

Edited by Liam, 03 April 2007 - 02:06 PM.

#7 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

Liam if want a good battery get either a deep cycle/marine battery or get a dry cell. These batterys are the only way to go with a comp V8 motor. Dry cells are wicked as they are small and compact yet will produce power the same as battery twice there size . I think its odessy the brand that the Doorslammer guys use. If you want a decent battery thats not as expensive as a dry cell go with a marine battery. Plenty of cold cranking amps they are also deep cycle. In regaurds to what brand i think there all the same really. I dont really have an idea on which batterys better than what, after all i gt a supercheap one :tease:. but i think there made by apollo.

Just my thoughts

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

Deep cycle batteries are designed to survive re-charges from being unused for long periods of time. Which is why they're called marine batteries, used for house boats that are only used a couple of times a year. If you want a battery to crank over a high comp engine on a regular basis, use either an Oddessy or an N70ZZ or N70ZZL. The difference between the two N70 batteries I stated is the arrangement of the battery terminals. An N70ZZ or N70ZZL will NOT fit in the engine bay of a UC, due to the sloping bonnet.

#9 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

i have like a massive truck battery in one of our torrys, never gone flat, never needed charging and it just came wiht a car we bought ages ago. We have used it on and off in the kart trailer and in various cars, and never had a problem, weighs a forking tonne.

I have a century battery in the torana, only been in ther for about 4 months, but the old one was just a no-name one, and lasted all of 6 months.

#10 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, I'd always thought the same as you Chop, that the marine batteries weren't the right thing for the application. Obviously tho these Odyssey ones are a dual purpose dry cell for high crank and long periods of no use that leads to discharge.

Am I correct in assuming CCA is cold cranking amps? My current Apollo has a 550 CCA where as the Odessy's had something in the region of 1200. What brand are the N70 batteries you listed Chop?

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

CCA is Cold Cranking Amps. Just stick to the Century brand. The next best brand on the market has twice as many claim batteries as Century. Apollo batteries have a low price and pretty stickers. That should cover all the good points.

#12 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

As Chopper said, the deep cycle batteries are designed to recover from deep discharges such as the house system of a boat, caravan, etc and will recharge with virtually no performance loss.
However they don't like the high current loads of starting an engine...

A marine starting battery is built like the proverbial brick outhouse to withstand slamming and vibration and are probably the best lead acid starting battery you can get.
They are also big and heavy...

The dry cell or gel cell battery provides all the start capacity of the big start battery in a package half the size and weight, recovers from deep discharges much better, discharges at a much slower rate if left unused for long periods and can be mounted on its side or even upside down if necessary.
They cost twice as much tho...

If you can afford it the gel cell is the best by far.

#13 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

One of these chargers certainly seems the thing to be looking for in the light of my situation and would fit the bill perfectly I think. 

With the 250B you linked, did you suggest this because it can be fitted to the car or because it has the correct rating for the application?

The 250B was recommended to me by an auto electrician for my V8 Torana with an optima battery. It has a low output which is sufficient to maintain a battery but it would take a long time to recharge a battery. The more expensive higher output charger and maintain chargers would be suitable for charging a flat battery and are designed for electric vehicles (golf buggies, gofers ).

The 250B comes with two sets of leads. One set is designed to be permanently attached to the battery and has a small two pin connector on the other end. I had this attached to my battery and the connector poking thru the grill. When I park the car for an extended period I just connect the charger to the lead in the grill. ( You do not have to open the bonnet.) The 250B is mounted on the wall in the garage.

You can buy them from REPCO for around $50.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 03 April 2007 - 06:02 PM.

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

I will be trying optima next time, last quote was around $350 mark, search for the topic if you want contacts or ring around for a good price. Think its the one super car uses.
http://www.optimabat...automotive.html

#15 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

I've had the same Optima for over 10years, 3 of those years spent sitting unused in the boot. 24 hrs on the charger and it was as good as new with 800cca. Great battery!

#16 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

Alright, seems pretty clear cut. Optima or similar dry cell is the ultimate for what I need but I can't afford that kind of biscuit so looks like I will go with the charger until this battery dies and then re-evaluate.

Cheers,

#17 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

Just thought I'd add a note about the Odyssey batteries for the high end stereo users here. I've heard from a few sources that although they have huge cold cranking capability, some are unsuitable for supplying a steady power to high powered stereo systems. Sorry, I can't explain technically why but that's what I've heard.

I'm using a Century deep cycle durathon which I've had it for about 5 years. Seems to have worked well. RRP was $170 but I think I paid $140. Downside is it is fricken huge.

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:11 AM

There are two things to look out for in a battery. One is the CCA, how many cranking amps it has. This is what starts the engine. The other is the reserve capacity. That is how long you can use the stereo for with the engine switched off.

#19 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:07 AM

I always get a larger (CCA) than standard battery. Personal preferance is just the Exide ones you get at kmart (maintenance free). They seem to last for 4 to 5 years. Long enough in my book. I have heard good things about the optima batteries too.

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

Exide make a good battery, however they have twice as many warranty failures as the Century brand. This data was taken over about 5 years from at least 30 different tyre retailers.

#21 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

There are some Odyssey batterys on ebay. The guy is located in Melbourne and they have a 2 year warrinty but i dont think that these ones are there drycell version.

Heres the link oddesy

#22 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

Be a little wary of odessey batteries as ive heard alot of stories about the smaller ( car battery sized) ones dieing a premature death.

The only thing i can confirm on this point is that my brother had one in his rarely-driven commodore, and in less than 6 months it was stuffed. Contacted odessey for warranty, and they are very difficult to deal with. Took the battery for "testing" claimed that the cells had "sulfated" and that caused the failure and this is not covered under warranty. After a big argument he said that he would put the battery on one of their "special chargers" that would remove the sulfate. Then ceased answering or returning phone calls.

An optima was purchased and has been trouble free since!

On the other side of the coin, Ive had my odessey Es1500 (I think!! it was the biggest they had!!) for at LEAST 5 years, and have abused it while the car was being rebuilt, and it's been a GREAT battery! all 26 Kilos of it!

I'd probably put my money on optima next time though!

Cheers.

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

I used to use Apollo as a mate of mine owned a shop that sold them, unfortunately, I returned them all on warranty. I had Century in the A9X when I bought it and it lasted ok, but then on advice from a mate of mine who worked in the RAAF battery shop I went to EXIDE. I've never had a problem with one except in my VT, but it had a brand new BOSCH when I bought the car and it didn't last long either. I think all the crap they put in the Senators and the tracker drain it badly.

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

Bosch, Exide and Beaurepaires batteries ( to name a few ) are all made by GNB. As I have said, they make a good product, but Century have a much lower failure rate. And as I have also said, this data was taken from thousands of battery sales.

#25 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

add Champion to that list. I also use Exide now because it's the battery Holden usw and it's the closest I can get to the original for my car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users