Ls1

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

does any 1 know if ls1 gen3 engine bolts up the same as a 350 chev? i have been told a powerglide will bolt straight on. also are the blocks the same size and the v angle? im thinking of putting one in my lj to make it more streetable and would like to hear some thoughts?

#2 _seperf_

_seperf_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi, they are basicly the same and will bolt into a car that had a 350 in it before .the only thing that you may have to do is modify the engine mounts and i would also look at changing the pully setup from what there like in a commodore to give you more room . There are a few ls motors and one that has a pully setup which would suit a tory ,off the top of my head i thinkit is the 5.3l model which has a more compact desighn. I was tinking the same thing maybe a big stroke carb feed ls1 in a HB

#3 _seperf_

_seperf_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:24 PM

also the sump would need to be changed

#4 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

Ive done the LS1 into an LH-X car, the commodore pulley setup is the easiest way to go.
In an LX you have major issues with oil pan, extractors and firewall clearance.

I have pictures of the LJ for sale with an LS1 in it, even tighter then an LH-X, brake booster is moved and a remote unit needed, you need to run the fan on the front side of the radiator, custom pipes and oil pan modifications, but I dont think you will get a LC/J registered in NSW with anything larger then 312ci these days. LS1 is 346ci

Blocks are different to old SBC, larger in all area's.

A powerglide will bolt straight up but the converters are the MAJOR difference, you do NOT run a regular SBC converter on an LS1 with old trans, destined to be destroyed.

Good luck, just buy an engine and work around it, you'll get there. :rockon:

Edited by LS1LX, 15 January 2006 - 03:26 PM.

#5 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

I have pictures of the LJ for sale with an LS1 in it

is that one forsale in Melb for $20,000

#6 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

I have pictures of the LJ for sale with an LS1 in it

is that one forsale in Melb for $20,000

Sure was, if you want I can pass on the owners number and email address to you

#7 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

yeh thanks that would be good or even if u sent the pictures to [email protected]. ls1lx did u go the path of buying a new block and loom and so on or you buy second hand block or smashed car? what sort of prices are resonable? what sort of power output are you making in the lx?
thanx ryan

#8 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

Another interested party here!! would it be possible to have pics of the LX with LS1 emailed to [email protected]?? Im contemplating a 327 chev conversion, but seeing as the car's going off the road for a while - might look into LS1 conversion...
Keith

#9 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

I brought a complete rebuilt LS1 engine, 18 months ago I paid $3,000 with 3 months warranty, complete from tip to toe with wiring and PCM. Most other shops were asking $5000-6000 at the time when they were more of a drool item.

Now there everywhere, I knocked back a complete front cut for $1,500, but I know the guy.

I wouldnt pay more then $3,000 for a complete engine, you can pick up an average mileage one for $2-2,500, try go for a VX on engine as they have the LS6 manifold standard, cheap and easy 10HP.

My engine was tuned and run on engine dyno at Sam's Performance.
Stock made 300HP (225kw at engine), tuned with extractors the engine made 372HP (this is what they make at engine when you see a tuned LS1 with 225 RW KW) then we slotted in a comp 220/220 camshaft (very small, idles at 700rpm) engine made 412HP/407Ft/lbs (560Nm), first tune it needs to go back when its running and adjust it a bit, should see near 420HP at engine. If I had a stock trans like the VT/X boys it would make around 265kw at wheels
Idles like stock, it is a puny camshaft, you wouldnt know its been changed from the lack of cam overlap.

I think 410+HP, 410Ft/Lbs, TH350 Full Manual 3,400 9 1/2" converter, 3.55:1 Detroit Locker, it should go alright on the street, should run a high 12. Weigh approx 1350KG. Plus its around 70kg lighter then regular SBC.

#10 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:03 PM

3,000 sounds like a prity sweet deal. i got quoted 6,600 from a place in sydney for engine, acc. and loom all second hand. if it fits i was hoping to go along the twin turbo route as it would be streetable and quick :D i'd prob go powerglide though and i can build this at work. T350 aint that strong.
what mounts did you use in the lx? i should be getting a dummy block soon from work to play around with so i spose i should get some mounts soon.
thanx for your help

#11 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

i just brought some mounts from the guys in Victoria. The rest we made.
TH350's strong enough for 450HP, well the internals Ive built it with, PG's are good but its just 1 shift, had 1 in a street car and its a boring drive.

Turbos on LS1 in LJ street car, I think you need to get in contact with the lj ls1 guy, unless your LJ has another 2 ft of room each side? you would need to bring the turbos all the way forward in front of the engine, a lot of fabbing required.

Check ebay for engines there dirt cheap.

#12 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:37 PM

Wouldnt mind knowing where you could get a front cut for $1500, thats a sweet deal. could always use a spare engine !

Cheapest ive seen is around the $5800 mark from Ballarat Auto Wreckers. Theyve got some good stuff if anyone is over that way and in need of some good gear.

#13 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

Wouldnt mind knowing where you could get a front cut for $1500, thats a sweet deal. could always use a spare engine !

Cheapest ive seen is around the $5800 mark from Ballarat Auto Wreckers. Theyve got some good stuff if anyone is over that way and in need of some good gear.

Off a mate.

It'll be my spare or for my next torana.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users