Gap for point on 202

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hey all,
Just after the reccomended breaker gap for the point in a dizzy on a 202. And is that gap set when the point is open fully?
Cheers

sav

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

Point gap is set when fully open. It can be measured using feeler guages or a dwell meter. If the points are new then set at the larger gap reading to allow for wear.

Point gap 0.53 - 0.58 mm ( 0.021 - 0.023 in )
Dwell angle 30 - 35 deg

#3 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

Thanks heaps for that ls2lxhatch!
Is it worth getting a meter that measures dwell?
I looked on ebay and you can get one for under $70.

#4 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Meter is better, especially for setting worn points as the contact surface doesn't always wear flat and feeler gauges only measure between the highest points.

Cheers,

Craig.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

dwell meter is the only way to do it properly. Will show up dizzy wear such as lobe wear on the pionts (the part that actually opens the pionts) big time.
or the cash you spend on a meter you could upgrade to electronic and never have to set it again.

#6 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

I have a timing light with built in tacho and dwell meter. I do not have much use for it anymore.

#7 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

yeah that gun sounps like it could come in hany for me. how much are you wating for it?

#8 _mal_b_

_mal_b_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

cut the foreplay and get an electronic unit from a VK. bolts straight up and never has to be maintained (dont quote me on that). no adjusting gaps. it'll be so much more consistant too

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Point gap is set when fully open. It can be measured using feeler guages or a dwell meter. If the points are new then set at the larger gap reading to allow for wear.

Point gap 0.53 - 0.58 mm ( 0.021 - 0.023 in )
Dwell angle 30 - 35 deg

The UC owners manual says 0.45mm and 30-34deg. Perhaps it was different for other earlier 202's, dont know if the 0.53-58 would fit into the 30-34 range without doing some calcs. Yes they should be adjusted a few weeks after installation, cant remember which way. Not sure about setting the gap larger to allow for wear?, unless the pitting etc actually builds up both surfaces of the points, or is it the cam follower wears down.......
From experience the car will run fine from 25-40deg dwell angles.
$70 for a dwell meter.....too much......I agree put the money into an electronic dizzy or have a look at cash convertors, usually lots of that sort of stuff there, id be haggling down to $5 on an item like that.
Its easier to do it with a dwell meter if you have an automatic as getting the motor to rest with the points open is difficult but not impossible........yes if you are removing the spark plugs its not too hard to turn it by the fan belt etc. or carefully mark the position of the dizzy and take it out and do it.
One tip for doing it with a dwell meter, set the point gap to ~2-3deg below spec while you crank the motor on the starter, disconnect the ht lead from the coil!. Then when you put the dizzy cap back on and run the motor at a bit more speed it should fall into the correct range. There should only be an ~2deg change in dwell as the motor is spun from idle to high rpm.
If you just have feeler gauges, set it up with those, if it runs fine......go with that, and spend any money assigned to "car improvements" on other areas of the car.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 11 April 2007 - 10:46 AM.

#10 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

And naturally you will re-time the ignition after any alteration to the points dwell.

#11 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

thanks guys.
Anyone had anything to do with these?...

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

No Good Mate.

Try locate a factory commodore one off a blue six etc with its coil.

#13 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:11 AM

No Good Mate.

ALX76 could you elaborate?

I use one of these and have heard mixed feedback. Seems to work good for me, I use the exact type in the link, along with a Bosch GT-40 coil. I have a Pro-Comp coil as well but haven't fitted it yet.

I have heard of module failures but these could be directly related to the coil type used - possibly resistive coils without the current limiting resistor fitted causing the module to switch a higher current load than it was designed for.

Thanks,

Craig.

#14 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

I stopped worry about points when i stuck the electronic dizzy from an early commodore in. Just make sure you use the right coil with it if you are gonna do that.

After my last experiences with points (namely a Mazda 808 with a 1.3 that ATE points) I didn't want to have anything to do with them. Had no ignition issues even with a 2nd hand electronic dizzy. :spoton:

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 13 April 2007 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users