2.25" or 2.5" system on an LC?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

Hey All,
Soon im going to bet getting a new exhaust for my LC with a 202.
The only mods i have got on it so far is a 350 holley.
Ive sot some extractors to put on.
Now should i go for a 2.25" or a 2.5" syatem?
What set up has everyone got? (size and muffler)
Should i go for a lukey or any other brand of muffler.
Cheers

sav

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

for a motor like htat, 2.25" and whatever muffler you can find. glass pack usualy sounds better. 2.5" will be miles to big.

#3 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:35 AM

Surprisingly I agree with Bomber Boy ^

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

i thought we always agreed litre8???

:P

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

i have a mildly worked 202 in my LJ. And comming from a muffler man such as myself, id say go with a 2.25 mandrel bent system, with a hot dog in the centre, and a single, straight through muffler (no i dont mean a cannon) on the rear. Even if you dont get it mandrel bent, it will still sound good. Mine does :spoton: Also if you want to spend the money, get it flanged at the extractors, maybe in the centre and before the rear muffler. just makes chopping and changing at a later stage easier. This is IF you want to spend money, otherwise th system i described above would be good enuff.

Where are you located?? as my family own/run a performance exhaust shop on the central coast NSW. 02 43334070.

CHEERS Chris :spoton:

#6 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

I'm going to be controversial and say don't go any bigger than a 2" on a stock 202.

I'm running a 2" on the stock 173 I have. Orginaly I had a 2 1/4" exhuast on it, and it was good at high revs, but a little boggy down low. With he 2" there is a big difference in low down torque around 1800RPM.

Steve

#7 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

have had 2.25 on all three of our 202 torrys, aswell as putting it on a friends 202 LJ, and numerous customers cars, im fairly sure we put either a 2.25 or maybe a 2.5 on Jklumps car. Remember steve, yours is a 173, so is slightly different to a 202, that said i know they are the same basic configuration, but what works on your may not work on the 202. Also if he goes 2 inch now, and later on slots in a bigger cam and a head, then his exhaust will be useless. we do this for a living! Just a thought mate, things dont always come out wel over the net, but i mean no disrespect.

CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#8 _Ms_Cameo_Gold_

_Ms_Cameo_Gold_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

I have a 2.25 on mine. Id do the same as Chris / orangeLJ mentioned. Where do you live? R.A.C.E at Capalaba in Brisbane do a great job and arent as expensive as others. Also Right Price Exhausts at Springwood. Thats only a help if your in Brissy though LOL.
Cheers
Kel

#9 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Just a thought mate, things dont always come out wel over the net, but i mean no disrespect.

CHEERS Chris :rockon:

Fair enough mate. There were other factors to my car being boggy (like the 2.78 diff cause it was a factory auto), but i will still stick to my opinion of 2" on stock Holden 6s. :spoton:

I'm planning to keep the 2" even when I put the hot 202 in.

Steve

#10 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

Extractors into 2.25' straight through system (love those pre Emission Laws cars LOL) with XU1 style muffler on my LJ with stock 173 and it sounds ike a beast and gives it a fat idle note (like a ive got a big cam)

#11 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

I'm an apprentice who works away offshore. its been a bit quiet out here lately, so i've turned down some stainless steel tube on the lathe (so it roughly has the same wall diameter as exhaust tube) and i've been practicing TIG welding it together.
So the plan is when i get back home to perth ill borrow a mates tig welder, buy some stainless tube and pre mandrel bent pieces and weld one up (uncle has a 4 point hoist).
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

#12 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

i put a 2.0 on my 161.

#13 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

I run 2 1/4 size exhaust with one hot dog and a straight through redback muffler with twin outlets (XU1 style) on my 202. I had 2 1/2 but the car felt better and more responsive on the street with the 2 1/4.

#14 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

Mine is a 2.5" with a Lukey glass pack and dual 2" outlets.

I don't care if the car goes better or worse, so long as its sounds FAT :spoton:

It had a 2" with centre 12" hotdog and single outlet muffler. New high compression engine fixed that one up, every time I gave it a bootful it looked like a cat had crawled up the exhaust and was being blown out piece by piece. Bye bye muffler :rockon:

Cheers,

Craig.

#15 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

Does anyone have any pics of their exhaust (from extractors back?).

#16 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

Does anyone have any pics of their exhaust (from extractors back?).

There really is a line there................. :D

#17 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

mate if my car ever leaves the shed again i will stick it up on one of the hoists at our shop. gtrtorana has the right idea, Redback mufflers are dam good and reasonably priced, we dont recomend Lukey mufflers, lets just say we USED to use them. gtrtorana, your system sounds pretty much the same as mine, except for the dual outlet muffler. i just have a single outlet, straight throug muffler.

#18 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

I think it was a 2.5 you put on mine chris?
But with the webers, port/head work, cam etc.... mine needs to breath a bit more than a stock 202... :D

#19 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

we dont recomend Lukey mufflers

Why? I have just fitted one and would be interested in your feedback as you obviously have experience in this area. I'm sure it would also help others.

I have used Redback mufflers on my XR8 and they rusted out inside two years, but maybe a bad batch? The car wasn't used very often (5000kms/year) so I understand consistent low exhaust temps could have contributed to this.

Thanks,

Craig.

#20 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

I think it was a 2.5 you put on mine chris?
But with the webers, port/head work, cam etc.... mine needs to breath a bit more than a stock 202... :D

Oops, no, just checked & it was actually a 2.25"....my bad

#21 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:25 PM

gtrtorana, your system sounds pretty much the same as mine, except for the dual outlet muffler

I wanted to get the XU1 type look with the duel outlets. Bigger is not always better. I have tripple CD carbs, 10+ comp, worked YT head with rollers, big wade cam and found that 2 1/4 was the perfect size exhaust.

#22 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

actually i dont want a note/sound

what i want is quiet
( i live in a small town and the last thing i want is everyone to hear me when i put the boot in)< wishfull thinking i know

now its got webers, hm headers ( i think 2.5'output?)
i wondering what sort of muflers i should have
and what od system

#23 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

actually i dont want a note/sound

what i want is quiet
( i live in a small town and the last thing i want is everyone to hear me when i put the boot in)< wishfull thinking i know

OriginalGlenn: Welcome in my neighbourhood anytime!

These "................" that want lots of noise.....music to their ears, yada, yada......cant they just have the throttle connected to the volume on their ipod with their favourite v8 symphony ....so the noise is loudest inside their head and nowhere else?

#24 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:19 AM

I have fitted a "virtual" EA Falcon system to my Rangie (3.5litre V8).
It includes a muffler and resonator.
The car also has extractors.
The reason I chose this setup was it offers good flow and would probably meet RWC noise limits.

Your problem would be fitting this system under your car.

Mrs RoDoMo was able to hear me coming from 2klms away.

Now I can sneak up on her :spoton:

Edited by rodomo, 14 April 2007 - 01:22 AM.

#25 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Mine is using the two piece cast headers and runs to a 2 1/2" stainless mandrel bend system with a single twin exit magna flow muffler (2 1/2" each pipe). It really needs a hot dog up the front as it leaves your ears ringing after 10 mins driving. It goes a heap better than the old system that was extractors (brand?) and 2 1/4".
Its now heaps more drivable of idle and the power is more noticable lower in the revs. Also heaps louder than the old setup :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users